What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bellcrank to aileron push tube length?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
On dwg 15, the length of the 'control stick to aileron bellcrank' push tube (W917) is listed both from the end-of-tube to end-of-tube as well as from eye-of-rod-end bearing to eye-of-rod-end bearing. However, the 'bellcrank to aileron' push tube (W918) part of the drawing only shows the eye-of-rod-end-bearing to eye-of-rod-end-bearing distance (which, in this case, is 27.125").

So what length do I cut the W918 push tube itself? I recognize that I can use the threaded portion of the rod-end bearing for some minor adjustment in length, but have I somewhere missed a suggested measurement for the actual push tube itself? How have others addressed this omission from the drawings?

Thanks.

agreed...

I looked at the 9 plans and cannot find the measurement you are after (DWG 15) - just the overall length c/c of 27 1/8.

I checked this same measurement on the 7 plans and it is 27 5/8 c/c with a rod length of 23 13/16. This means the rod is 3 13/16 shorter than the c/c distance.

Since both the 7 and 9 use HEIM 3414M bearings on a AN490-HT8P threaded rod, I would think that the same difference would apply. That would mean rod length of 23 5/16 for the 9 pushrod.

W-918

I had the same ? and called Van's a while back. Got the "snooty' answer of: "Figure it out." As I remember it I was to figure in the length of the bearings (screw in > 1/2 way) and go for it!
I just measured mine and the push tubes are 23 1/8".

Frank

Thanks Frank and Ron--I agree that I should be able to extrapolate for the -9 from the -7 plans. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who is going to have to guess a little. Rod-end-bearings screwed halfway in is what I was thinking I'd have to use--I'll just try to get close to the two measurements both of you gave. Thanks again. Now, to cut those tubes cleanly...

Back