What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2x Gun

osxuser

Well Known Member
Is a 2x gun enough for building a slow build -7? I have nice one, so I'm not sure, if I need a 3x. But if I do buy another one, I might go all the way to a 4x... just because.

osxuser said:
Is a 2x gun enough for building a slow build -7? I have nice one, so I'm not sure, if I need a 3x. But if I do buy another one, I might go all the way to a 4x... just because.

2x should be good enough. In my opinion the 3x is easily the most versatile (can always turn pressure down if needed). 4x? Not sure why one would ever want one of those since all we have to set with the spars complete are 3/32 and 1/8 rivets. You might do search under tools. 2x vs. 3x have been debated at length before. I don't think I've ever heard anyone argue for a 4x though. Good luck.

2X Gun

Stephen,

I started with a 2x gun and found it difficult as an inexperienced builder to set 1/8 rivets. I found it very frustrating, having to drill out half of the 1/8 rivets I set. To solve this problem I bought a 4x gun which solved all my problems. It took half the time to set the rivets resulting in significantly less problems. I do believe that the 4x gun is overkill and if I were to do it all over I would buy one 3x gun which I believe to be the best compromise.

Regards,

Joel

I bought both a 3x and 2x. The 2x didn't work so well in my hands setting 1/8th " rivets. They tended to work harden. The 3x has no problem with them. I like to use the 2x on the skins. I have near perfect skin due to the lighter hammer action of the 2x. (Or is it because of the Oil of Olay that I use???)
Tinman

Use Enough Bucking Bar

2X will do. If there's trouble with any size rivet, it's usually because the bucking bar is poorly positioned (its c.g. should be in line with the rivet to the greatest extent possible), too light, or the work piece, gun, or bar is not well constrained and allowed to bounce around. A bigger gun is physically bigger, making alignment of the set that much more problematical in many confined areas.

John Siebold

I have used both, but I own a 2x since it is smaller and lighter. Most of the riveting you will do will be on the smaller rivets and thin skins.
There are some 1/8 rivets that a 3x should be used on...like the rivets for the firewall gussets and a few on the tail end of the fuselage...however, you can probably borrow one for this.
A tip on using the 2x for both size rivets....get a small regulater that fits on the air input of the gun. Then, make two marks on it to identify the proper position for 3/32 & 1/8 rivets. (You need more pressure for the 1/8 rivets) Once I did this, it was easier to remember the correct setting for the two sizes and I had fewer riveting problems.
As someone posted earlier...proper technique makes a world of difference, so keep practicing.

I'm an A&P so I have access to the shop's 3x & 4x guns. I might be building at a different location, but it sounds like my personal 2x jiffy should be good enough for the bulk of the building. My logic for the 4x vs. 3x was that I had to buy another gun, I could always crank the 4x down to 3x power, and I might use it for other task than the RV (3/16" rivets aren't out of the question on some GA aircraft).

I started with a 2x gun and found it difficult as an inexperienced builder to set 1/8 rivets. I found it very frustrating, having to drill out half of the 1/8 rivets I set. To solve this problem I bought a 4x gun which solved all my problems. It took half the time to set the rivets resulting in significantly less problems.

Regards,

Joel

I agree with Joel. My tech counselor encouraged me to dump my 2x gun and switch to a 4x gun. Because it hits harder and slower than a 2x or 3x gun, I find it is much easier to control, especially on 1/8" rivets.

Mark

I beat the heck out of 3 rivets and left smilies, three in a row with a 3X so I've been using a friend's 3AAAero. really nice, probably like a 2x.

Back