What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rmd wingtip lights

grover

Well Known Member
santa (in the form of the ups man) stopped by with the rmd wingtip/landing light assemblies. the workmanship is quite nice. from this, two questions arise.

first, what is the best choice for strobe lights? just go with whelen and bite the bullet? or has anyone obtained satisfactory results with other units?

second, the instructions state to wait until the wingtips are attached to the wings (and presumably the wings attached to the rest of the plane) before installing the light assembly. has anyone deviated from this and installed the assembly in the tip as is?

James in Savannah

Are you in GA? If so, I am in Rincon. Give me a call 826-4616. Just finished a QB 8, started another QB8 and a 46 Ercoupe. Wingtips are a pain.

Robby Knox

I went standard

Whelen strobes work very well and that is what I went with. The wings do not have the be attached to the rest of the fuselage but the wing tip shape is stabilized after it is installed on the wing. That's the way I did it and again it worked out well. I don't think you will be disappointed. If put the nav/strobes under the lens be sure not to get the lights any closer than you have to (avoid heat damage) while maintaining visibility of the nav lights from 20 degrees aft of the installation point (110 degrees with respect to the fuselage centerline). I packed everything in this way on my RV-6A with Horner style tips and it has worked very well for over a year and a half.

Bob Axsom

Back