What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

leaking gascolator

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I have an IO-360 with a Vans gascolator instead of a filter. I don't know why the builder did it that way, but he did. This winter I will change to a filter but for now I would rather fly than rebuild.

Friday I installed a FloScan to go with my EIS-4000. I mounted it between the bulkhead fitting coming from the fuel boost pump and the gascolator. When I tested the system for leaks using the boost pump the gascolator weaped fuel.

The test was done with the mixture at idle cutoff and throttle at idle, so the pressure was full boost pump pressure. With the engine running the pressure would be less, and at full power probably much less, but I still think this is a problem. I don't want any fuel leaks.

I took the gascolator apart and cleaned it and inspected the o-ring. Everything looked good except the o-ring was only slightly larger in OD than the grove in the cup of the gascolator.

I cleaned everything and reassembled it, and retested but the small leak was still there,

Has anyone had a similar problem? Should the o-ring be replaced periodically?

Back