What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Route to San Diego

LarryT

Well Known Member
My wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary on 6/30/09. We would like to fly our newly purchased (flying) RV-6A to San Diego from Battle Ground, WA. We will also visit our recently married son, Brett, and attend the wedding of Brett's best man (who is like a second son to us).

I am very familiar with the first half of the route because I have visited my sister in Oakland on several occasions.

What would be the best route of flight from Oakland to San Diego and what is the best airport to use in SD? Also, if you have any recommendations about a hotel in a romantic setting, please include those as well.

Thanks,

Larry Tompkins

My wife and I celebrate our 25th anniversary on 6/30/09. We would like to fly our newly purchased (flying) RV-6A to San Diego from Battle Ground, WA. We will also visit our recently married son, Brett, and attend the wedding of Brett's best man (who is like a second son to us).

I am very familiar with the first half of the route because I have visited my sister in Oakland on several occasions.

What would be the best route of flight from Oakland to San Diego and what is the best airport to use in SD? Also, if you have any recommendations about a hotel in a romantic setting, please include those as well.

Thanks,

Larry Tompkins

Larry,

I would be happy to offer my presently empty hangar to you during your stay in SD. I am presently in SC. My hangar is located at Gillespie Field (KSEE). My hangar has a lock box on it. It also has an alarm. KSEE is approximately 17 miles from downtown. As far as a romatic setting, take a look at Crystal Pier, Pacific Beach. Crystal Pier has individual bungalows on the pier overlooking the Pacific. PM me if you are interested.

Regards,

Assuming you're doing it VFR? (IFR is easy too, but pick an airway that has an MEA you can live with over the mountains north of LA.) Here's what has worked well for me. Basically, departing Oakland fly heading 122 direct Van Nuys (VNY) VOR. KOAK is good about coordinating with Norcal departure for VFR flight following, even if you don't ask. If you are not already talking to them, call up Socal approach around Gorman. In any case ask for the Coliseum Route at 9500' southbound through the Class B; VNY is the gateway fix for that. Exiting the LA Class B, proceed direct Oceanside (OCN). At that point you have a choice to turn inland or continue down the coast. Weather may affect which you prefer... coastal stratus is common in June. Look at the San Francisco and LA sectionals and LA and San Diego terminal charts for details.

For San Diego GA airports, Montgomery (KMYF) is closer to downtown, but DAGO's offer of a hangar at KSEE is hard to beat.

For romantic hotels... you should at least consider the Hotel Del Coronado http://www.hoteldel.com/, and Hotel Parisi http://www.hotelparisi.com/.

--Paul

IF YOU DON'T WANT RADIO CHATTER.....

EASY VFR...... but adds 9 miles to your trip. Better view.......

Fly right down over Bakersfield to Hesperia L26, 125 s miles. then direct to Ramona RNM.........;)

Routing

EASY VFR...... but adds 9 miles to your trip. Better view.......

Fly right down over Bakersfield to Hesperia L26, 125 s miles. then direct to Ramona RNM.........;)

Larry,

That too would be my preferred routing, particularly if I was heading for Gillespie (SEE). Approaching Ramona Class D, they will ask you to enter their airspace at 3500 ft and report overhead the field. The floor of class B airspace starts at 3800 ft. Once clear of RNM class D, give SEE a call, they will usually have you report a 3 mile final for 27R.

By the way, the cheapest fuel in the area is at Brown Field (SDM). Palomar (CRQ), and Gillespie have the highest fuel prices.

Regards,

Just did that route last week

KKLS (Kelso, WA) to KPVF (Placerville, CA) to KMYF (Montgomery Field).

Chose Placerville as the refueling stop because it is on the way and is at about 2500 feet instead of the valley floor. Wasted less time climbing back to altitude.

Both legs direct at 11,500 ft. with flight following all the way. 6 hours flying time in my RV9A.

NO problem over the LA basin at 11,500. No vectoring. Just told SoCal approach I wanted to stay high as long as possible and they left me alone.

S.D. approach cleared me through their class B airspace on my own nav with no altitude restrictions so I just flew straight to Montgomery field right over Mirimar NAS.

It was a great trip.

Hope yours is as good.

Duane

Back