What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alt CB's - OP-10. Where is the load?

rtl_flyer

I have the Vans FWF kit. Working from OP10 plan.
(Those that have not seen this plan - it shows the physical connections rather than being a wiring diagram. Hence it shows the CB's and copper buss bar and alt as objects rather than a wiring diagram)

This shows the location of the wires and components. In the plan the field wire coming FROM the alt (field 5A) to the CB which is then connected to the copper Buss bar. However it appears the wire from the alt (field 5A) is connected TO the LOAD side of the CB. The CB is connected to the Buss on LINE side. This may be correct - I think. BUT. The diagram also shows the ALT (60A) connected in the same way: The wire from the alt TO the 60A CB LOAD side, with the 60A CB connected to the buss on the LINE side. This I feel is wrong.

Can anybody explain the operation of this area? I understood the flow was from the Alt 60A connection to the buss, and the Alt field 5A flow was from the buss to the alt. Which to me would suggest the 60A CB was connected the wrong way - the connections should be reversed. This would mean the 60A CB could not be connected to the copper buss bar as unless it was turned upside down.

I will proberbly call Vans tech help but just wondered what others thought.

The circuit breaker doesn't care which way the current flows through it. Connecting it as you described puts the buss bar on the same side of both breakers, which makes the assembly a lot easier.

Dave Cole
RV-7 wings

Back