What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

THE way to travel!

SteinAir

Well Known Member
Ok, quick story about my recent rocket ride! Over the weekend I hitched a ride with Rozy in ole' 84 from St.Paul to Arkansas for Jim Younkins 80th Bday party. Instead of going into boring details....I'll just jump right to it. The trip is something over 500 nm. We did it in barely over 2 hrs, averaging about 233kts for the entire trip and a little bit less on the way home (you can look it up on FlightAware-the trip is there since we filed both ways).

While it's a bit cramped in the back of the rocket compared to the front seat of my RV, the trip was FAST and overall fantastic. What a wonderfull weekend. A ride down in the rocket, a ride in the Mullicoupe (think giant rocket) and a ride home in the rocket....

Me thinks I'm going to have to get me one of these things before too long. I'm convinced now it's THE way to travel if you're going somewhere! :) I suppose after the Mullicoupe I'm going to have to figure out how in the heck I'm going to get a rocket. Anyone feel like donating a kit to the cause!?!?!

Cheers,
Stein

PS, to those who weren't there, you missed an absolutely great weekend. Lots of noisy, fast and neat round engine birds flyin - lots of neat people and lots of great food (and a few adult beverages as well)!

Stop tempting me to convert the -4 to a rocket... I think I'll have to order the plans now....

What a wonderfull weekend. A ride down in the rocket, a ride in the Mullicoupe (think giant rocket) and a ride home in the rocket....

Me thinks I'm going to have to get me one of these things before too long. I'm convinced now it's THE way to travel if you're going somewhere! :) I suppose after the Mullicoupe I'm going to have to figure out how in the heck I'm going to get a rocket. Anyone feel like donating a kit to the cause!?!?!

I really miss watching the Mullicoupe fly. We had one of the three at our airport for a long time until Bud died in his clip wing monocoupe. Bud used to love showing off his Mullicoupe's performance. He always seemed to be taking off when a large crowd was around. Everyone on the airport would walk out to the runway to watch. Great looking and flying airplane.

Hey Stein,
The rocket is getting parked as I'm heading to Afghanistan.
Everything is for sale.........make me an offer.
Jeff

Hey Stein,
The rocket is getting parked as I'm heading to Afghanistan.
Everything is for sale.........make me an offer.
Jeff

Aww Man...I wish I had the funds to buy it, but I'm afraid that I need to divert any free cash into getting the Mullicoupe done, so all I would manage to do is to insult you on the HRIII. I'm 100% sure there are plenty of people who'd jump at the opportunity to own that speed demon!

Speaking of Bud's Mullicoupe, it was down at TruTrak over the weekend for Jims Bday. Mark Holliday owns it now and flys the heck out of it just like Bud - although he's not quite the showoff that Bud was! The plane still looks every bit as good, and still flys every bit as good. We did some formation work with the Red and Black coupes...see attached pic. Quite neat machines!

markcoupeair02.jpg

Cheers,
Stein

PS, as the others have said, be safe.

Aww Man...I wish I had the funds to buy it, but I'm afraid that I need to divert any free cash into getting the Mullicoupe done, so all I would manage to do is to insult you on the HRIII. I'm 100% sure there are plenty of people who'd jump at the opportunity to own that speed demon!

Speaking of Bud's Mullicoupe, it was down at TruTrak over the weekend for Jims Bday. Mark Holliday owns it now and flys the heck out of it just like Bud - although he's not quite the showoff that Bud was! The plane still looks every bit as good, and still flys every bit as good. We did some formation work with the Red and Black coupes...see attached pic. Quite neat machines!

Cheers,
Stein

PS, as the others have said, be safe.

Awww... Stein, did you HAVE to post that picture. I've been drooling over the concept of a hopped up coupe for a year now. Sometimes ignorance IS better :).

Not only is the Coupe' a dream to look at, it is a dream to fly..... Shortly after we got to Springdale, Jim told me and Matt to take the M-coupe and go get Matt's Twin-Beech.... I said, I am not sure I want to fly the M-coupe back... Jim said, I don't care, fly the Beech then....

Matt and I jumped in the M-coupe, taxied out and took off. I did not lean on it real hard on the first T/O but even so, it gets right with it.... I landed at Siloam Springs and it is a pussycat on the ground. It is not an RV-4, but it is as honest as a C-195 and the visibility is better.

I flew it back and then gave several rides in it. I fell in love. I got some courage and got after it a little more and the initial acceleration is comparable to the Rocket. The Rocket is a little faster, but not nearly as classy.... It has a 23012 wing just like the RVs and it flies and stalls like an much like an RV. The control forces are heavier and it requires trim changes with power changes. The rudder is very effective and active much like a Luscombe. It is not objectionable, and if you dont over control it there is no problem. In flight it is not an issue if you are used to keeping the ball centered. If you are not, it does not stay centered by it's self.

What a thrill, and as Stein said, Jim's Birthday party was a thrill.... Jim was holding court and we were all giving him a hard time. He has forgotten more about aviation than the rest of the crowd will ever know, combined..... It was a blast and Stein did not even complain about being crammed in the back seat of the Rocket.

Back