What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim relay/Flap relay

rv72004

Well Known Member
I am about to mount the trim and flap relays under my rhs seat to be as close to the stick grips as possible.
This seems to be the best option to me. Does anyone have a better location for some reason ?

rv72004 said:
I am about to mount the trim and flap relays under my rhs seat to be as close to the stick grips as possible.
This seems to be the best option to me. Does anyone have a better location for some reason ?
Is there a reason you are constraining yourself to mount the relays close to the stick grips?

-mike

mlw450802 said:
Is there a reason you are constraining yourself to mount the relays close to the stick grips?

-mike

That's what I was wondering. The relay's coil can't draw that much current. After all, the flap motor itself draws less than 1 A...surely the coil draws less, otherwise, why use a relay?

Most grips require use of relays to control trim and flap motors. CH Products now offer grips with relays built into the grips. But if you are using grips like mine (early model grips w/o relays built in) then mounting the relays close to the control stick makes for a lot less wires run. Here's how I did mine.

PANEL%20170.jpg

Jim is doing his a little different and very nice.
PICT0766.JPG

PICT0778.JPG

Back