What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fly in community houston

brister

Well Known Member
I am being transfered to houston and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on airport propertys in the area. please let me know
Thanks

Dean, depends on which side of town you locate on. There are many RV's at Conroe KCXO, this is on the Northside. Easy comute to Houston. David W Hooks KDWH , I understand has a lot of RV's too. It's on the Northwest Side in Tomball, TX. You'll like Houston after awhile, the summers here are brutal though.

There are a couple of fly-in communities north of Conroe you may want to check out. Two of them are in New Waverly. I don't think they are online.

Fly Ins

If you use the center of Houston as the center of the compass rose:

Sports Flyers (Sport on TAC) far west side near Brookshire, TX

Polly Ranch "Polly" on TAC (Paul Dye land) SE side

Dry Creek out 290 on NW side

Songbird South Side

Skydive (37X) NW side

RWJ (54T) Far east side

Are some ofthe more well known ones.

Polly Ranch has a place for sale

There is (was) a house for sale on the airstrip at Polly Ranch (7XS0) when I left a few days ago. It is the first place to come up for sale since we bought early last summer. It does NOT have a hanger, but it does have a pad for one. I don't know the price, but houses like it probably range from high 200k to mid-300k.

Unfortunately, I don't know the contact information and I am sitting at in the jungle of southern Mexico (ain't technology great!), so I can't get it for you. The house in on Airline Drive in Friendswood, Texas. They didn't have a sign up on the road side of the house yet but there was a contact number on the runway side. If you are interested, I can check it out when I return home on Sunday. PM me if you think you are interested.

Last edited:
Take a look at this thread from Sept. '08.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33834

Third post down is a very comprehensive list from Jon Baker; he did his homework on this one.

I wouldn't put the Meigs Field airpark on your short list; as Jon said, there is no progress there as of late. There was a flurry of activity maybe 2 years ago with bulldozers clearing trees and forming a couple of small lakes, but since then I can't see anything else happening, no further development. I fly over at least once a month to check up on it, but nothing new to see.

I tried to get the phone number of the sign on the house at Polly Ranch as I taxied by this evening, but the sun was too low, and the sign is written to lightly - I wonder how motivated they are to sell!? Anyway, I will have to try and find time to walk down and get it when I am at home in the daylight (rare right now).

Paul

Dean,
There is a house for sale over here at RWJ also.
I will get a number tomorrow on the way to the FBO I'm looking after this weekend.
(It's on the grass runway.)

Dean,
Check your e-mail for pics and info.
Let me know if you need anything else (more pics,questions etc.)

rwj

Looks like that would be to far away I am going to be working in kingwood. thanks for looking for me. I will keep in touch and let you know what we are doing.
again thanks

Kingwood options

Looks like that would be to far away I am going to be working in kingwood. thanks for looking for me. I will keep in touch and let you know what we are doing.
again thanks

Williams is a great place to keep your plane if you live in Kingwood and there's been talk about converting it to an airpark.

I heard from my friend who owns a hangar at Lake Water Wheel (XS99) that they are finally getting serious about opening up a new section. It's a nice little airpark with a community pool and a nice turf field.

And Lake Livingston would be a reasonable drive if you're working in Kingwood. They've got lots for sale. http://www.livingstonairpark.com/

Hey Dean,

I live in Kingwood, give me a call when you get to town. We'll go grab some coffee and you're welcome to stop by and look at the RV-10. I'm currently done with the tailcone and waiting on Vans to start shipping QB kits again.

On the Kingwood side, there really isn't much for GA airports. The floor of KIAH Class B just doesn't lend itself to GA airports.

I do spend a lot of time at Williams. About 1 year ago, it was a total dump in every definition of the word. It's recently been purchased by Herbert Jefferies and he's been committed to resurrecting the airport. Since he purchased it, he's rebuilt hangars, added 100LL, removed all the trees, moved power lines, destroyed some old buildings, cleaned out others, and picked up much of the trash from the airport. They've still got a ways to go, but they're so much better off than where they were 6-8 months ago.

They still need to improve the drainage a bit more and build some new hangars because they're all full. They still have plans to build a new FBO and extend the runway from 3600x46 to 5500x75. There isn't an insturment approach into 9X1, (because of it's close position to the IAH Class B) but a GPS approach is on the plan. I've been working with the airport manager for several months to try and develop an IAH friendly approach. The state of Texas was out surveying the field a few weeks ago to see what they would have to do to get the approach implemented.

Williams has a security guard that's on duty 24x7. That's pretty nice.

There's no chance of it ever becoming a fly-in community - none, zero, zilch. It's just not going to happen and it's not on their plans. Not to mention, it's not the best area to live in.

If there was a fly-in community in NE Houston, my wife and I would be all over it. We're itching to move to a fly-in community.

When you get here, let me know. I'll take you out to Williams and introduce you to Katie. It's rough around the edges, but it's stock is on the rise.

Who are you working for in Kingwood? If you do decide on keeping an airplane at Williams, I'd suggest looking at the Oakhurst subdivision. It's a nice place and 10 minutes from the airport. That's the area I live in and it's nice to make it to the airport on back roads.

Give me a shout. You've got a friend in the area. :)

Phil

Last edited:
Back