What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPG Color Codes

Capflyer

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to paint my plane FINALLY!!!! and will be doing a warbird scheme ala P51 style. Black and yellow checkerboard on the cowl and yellow tips and rudder. For those that know, what are the PPG or matching paint codes for the traditional yellow and black along with what sheen should it be...flat, satin, etc?

It's been flying great for 15 months and know it will fly even better when it looks pleasing to the eye.

Thanks

The WWII colors would...

I am getting ready to paint my plane FINALLY!!!! and will be doing a warbird scheme ala P51 style. Black and yellow checkerboard on the cowl and yellow tips and rudder. For those that know, what are the PPG or matching paint codes for the traditional yellow and black along with what sheen should it be...flat, satin, etc?

It's been flying great for 15 months and know it will fly even better when it looks pleasing to the eye.

Thanks

...be to the Federal Standard 595 colors.

There are only 3 yellows to pick from, and since one is called "Blue Angels Yellow", I'm guessing it came after WWII.

The colors are here with their reference numbers....

http://www.fed-std-595.com/FS-595-Paint-Spec.html

I bet that your PPG paint store could get the mixing formula for any of the 595 colors.

Dupont did this when I painted my sailplane AN Yellow-Orange (the FS 13538, IIRC) - they said it was also 1960's GM school bus yellow....:)

I believe that a gloss sheen would be appropriate, since the planes were often waxed for more speed...

Back