What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winds Aloft as a Zero-Sum Game?.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Morning dawned crisp and clear in Houston, and the forecast along my route to Minnesota was for the clear weather to hold for the day. This wonderful cool weather was, of course, courtesy of a northerly flow from Canada, which meant that I?d be flying into the wind all the way. But the trip was necessary, and on short notice - so I loaded a bag with necessities; another with my goose down expedition clothes and heavyweight sleeping bag; rolled the Valkyrie out on the pad; and fired up for a two-leg flight to Anoka County Airport. Weathermeister showed headwinds increasing with altitude, but averaging better than 20 knots the whole way, so a true mid-point refueling was called for, and Fort Scott (Kansas) filled the bill with relatively cheap gas to boot.

Climbing out from Polly Ranch and heading north it became clear very quickly that I was going to face that unique torture of a zero-sum wind/altitude game. As we all know, for a given horsepower, True Airspeed increases with altitude due to thinner air and the resultant lower drag. If you use 75% power as a high limit for cruise, then you can get about 140 knots True out of a typical two-place RV (with an O-360) at low altitudes if that same airplane will top out around 170 knots at 8,000?. On what I call a ?zero-sum day?, the headwind increases at about the same rate as the TAS increases as you climb, so the ground speed is essentially the same no matter what altitude you pick. Sure, at lower altitudes, you have the choice of running more than 75% power, but the fuel burn will be considerably higher, so you will probably end up losing on range. And if you climb above 8,000?, you will be generating less than 75%, so while your fuel burn will decrease, so will your TAS. High altitudes work with tailwinds to give you a good groundspeed, but if it is calm aloft, you don?t gain much above that magic 8,000? level.

Closely examining the winds aloft forecasts for today, it looked like I could go to 8K for the first half of the trip and not lose anything while gaining smooth air. Farther north, the penalty with altitude was worse, so lower would be better for the second half of the trip. The no-wind time is generally about five plus thirty, but today was looking more like six plus forty-five. Throw in a fuel stop and you get a full crew day out of it. Sure enough, that?s just about how it turned out, except I lost an additional thirty minutes up front stopping for an initial fuel load at Anahuac, one of cheap local options (since we have no fuel at our air park). The weather remained clear most of the trip, except for an interesting layer of cumulous over most of Iowa that was somewhere between scattered and broken, but showed up on none of the METARS for the area. ?Clear? prevailed on all of the sequence reports, as if all of the AWOS machines were conspiring together to paint a better picture than was actually out there. Of course, it was bumpy below and the headwinds increasing steeply above, so it was a day to pick your poison. I elected to stay just above them and take the headwind ? bumps for an hour get very old.

Resigned to ground speeds in the 140?s (my only real consolation the fact that the SPAM Cans were going that much slower still?), all that was left was tp pick a way to stay awake. Fortunately, Sirius/XM replays ?Car Talk?, Prairie Home Companion?, and a few other weekend shows that actually engage your mind more than just listening to music, so sanity was easily maintained. Playing with new EFIS software was also fun, although straight and level is a tough way to evaluate new features ? at least I could remind myself what obscure buttons do. With multiple flight-planning systems on board, it pays to play with them all when you get the chance, or the syntax differences can easily slip from memory. And with outside Air Temperatures dropping to a frigid 10 degrees F by the end of the trip, I needed a few distractions in the rapidly cooling cockpit ? a high layer of clouds was blocking the sun which provides most of the heat in the RV-8 cockpit. Thank goodness for the solar collector bubble, ?cause the heat muff doesn?t do much! Thermal underwear and a flight suit kept my teeth from chattering ? but just barely.

Closing in on Anoka County Airport, a place where I earned my wings well over three decades ago, I was number two for the runway following a Mooney on short final. I wagged the tail back and forth to urge life back into my lower extremities, but rapid rudder action turned out not to be necessary. The AWOS was warning of potentially poor breaking due to loose snow, but the runway proved to be clear and dry. The same couldn?t be said for the taxiway alleys, and I was a bit nervous for the young line boy wanding me in to parking, so I just so I just took it slow to end the day with close to seven more hours on the clock. With temperatures predicted to be mostly below zero for the couple of days I?ll be here, paying for a warm toasty hangar seems like a bargain, considering that most of the cracked RV-8 canopies I have heard about happened with very cold temperatures.

Another mission completed through the magic of the RV! I probably save more than half of what I would have paid for a non-notice airline ticket, and while the airliner would have beat me today, I expect my return trip will be a lot quicker ? at least the odds in the winter are with me. I?m pretty sure the back seat would have been a pretty miserable place as the temperatures dropped, so it was a good day to be solo. But other than that limitation, the RV-8 once again proved itself to be an outstanding traveling machine!

Paul

High and 75% is OK for comfort and fuel conservation

In cross country air racing you never go high unless tail winds dictate it as in the AirVenture Cup Race from Mitchell, South Dakota in 2008. Coming out of Dayton's Wright Brothers airport this year I expect to be at 500 ft AGL where possible for the whole 400 to 500 miles at 2,700+ RPM. Fuel consumption is a problem as my O-360 uses a little over 14 GPH when leaned for best speed under these conditions. I have to do a lot of calculations, Excel table construction and planning before the race and I have to know the specific ground speed to assure that I can complete the course with a VFR reserve and the specific ground speed to reach the finish line with zero fuel. If things do not start off well and I am not beating VFR reserve assurance speed then I have to lean to peak and then throttle back to 75 % power for an 11 GPH fuel burn. In the absence of a tail wind (like 2008's AVC) if you climb you lose.

Bob Axsom

I am beginning to dream of some racing like you do Bob. My Turbocharged Subaru has been showing some nice performance figures and I would love to see how it does against other airplanes.

Can you point me to any references regarding how to pick best altitudes in my case, where my horsepower does not diminish as I gain altitude, at least not until I get up pretty high?

It seems like a pretty complex decision when you don't not have tail winds to take advantage of.

On a related note: For the Airventure Cup race, do you know if they plan to offer RV Turbo Charged classes?

Thanks for any inforamtion.

Randy C
RV7A Turbo Subaru Power

It is complex

I can't point you to any good reference documents but I'm sure they are available. Others will be able to do a much better job at identifying them. Testing your own airplane under different conditions to know your own plane is probably a good idea especially with a turbocharged engine. I don't have that complication. I do all of my testing at 6,000 ft density altitude in three directions (360/120/240) and try to establish the fastest configuration for my plane. I continue to modify the airplane for speed improvement but I can't afford the engine and propeller upgrades to reach the really high speeds - John Huft is over 20 MPH faster than me whenever we race - Jon Ross is up there as well. The SARL classes for RVs include RV Red T and RV Blue T for 320 cu in turbocharged engines and 360 ... respectively. I'm not sure if your Subaru fits in one of those classes or not. If not there are several other classes where it would fit in. If you go to the Sport Air Racing League website http://www.sportairrace.org and click on the "mission" link all of the MANY classes are listed and defined. If you click on "calendar of events" all of the races for this season are listed. One that may be of special interest is the one in Alabama where they are planning a cross country race event and a two way low altitude straight line speed trap event. In All of the races the results are listed in two ways - finish in class and finish overall - so even if you are in a class by yourself you can see how you stack up against everyone else. The events are a great experience and there are some really good people involved. As for picking the right altitude - well that is the problem isn't it. We all work at it and try to get it right.

Bob Axsom

I can't point you to any good reference documents but I'm sure they are available. Others will be able to do a much better job at identifying them. Testing your own airplane under different conditions to know your own plane is probably a good idea especially with a turbocharged engine. I don't have that complication. I do all of my testing at 6,000 ft density altitude in three directions (360/120/240) and try to establish the fastest configuration for my plane. I continue to modify the airplane for speed improvement but I can't afford the engine and propeller upgrades to reach the really high speeds - John Huft is over 20 MPH faster than me whenever we race - Jon Ross is up there as well. The SARL classes for RVs include RV Red T and RV Blue T for 320 cu in turbocharged engines and 360 ... respectively. I'm not sure if your Subaru fits in one of those classes or not. If not there are several other classes where it would fit in. If you go to the Sport Air Racing League website http://www.sportairrace.org and click on the "mission" link all of the MANY classes are listed and defined. If you click on "calendar of events" all of the races for this season are listed. One that may be of special interest is the one in Alabama where they are planning a cross country race event and a two way low altitude straight line speed trap event. In All of the races the results are listed in two ways - finish in class and finish overall - so even if you are in a class by yourself you can see how you stack up against everyone else. The events are a great experience and there are some really good people involved. As for picking the right altitude - well that is the problem isn't it. We all work at it and try to get it right.

Bob Axsom

I emailed Eric White for clarification on which classses I should consider for the Airventure Cup race, stating clearly that I have a Turbocharged Subaru Engine with 150 CI displacement.

His answer is pasted here:
"You are correct in your assumption that your RV-7A would be allowed to race in either the Sprint, RV Red, RV Blue or Formula FX, you could also enter the Unlimited class if you would like."

Do they run by a different set of rules for the Airventure Cup?

I do see the RV Red and Blue T classes listed in the class line up on the page you gave me. Perhaps there are just not enough RVs with boosted engines to have an active class for them?

Randy C

I emailed Eric White for clarification on which classses I should consider for the Airventure Cup race, stating clearly that I have a Turbocharged Subaru Engine with 150 CI displacement.

His answer is pasted here:
"You are correct in your assumption that your RV-7A would be allowed to race in either the Sprint, RV Red, RV Blue or Formula FX, you could also enter the Unlimited class if you would like."

Do they run by a different set of rules for the Airventure Cup?

I do see the RV Red and Blue T classes listed in the class line up on the page you gave me. Perhaps there are just not enough RVs with boosted engines to have an active class for them?

Randy C

(Eric's name is spelled Whyte by the way)
There are differences and I will give you a little history as I know it. The original "Great Cross Country Flying Race" to Oshkosh was put on by Aircraft Spruce and it originated in Palm Springs. Later they changed to start at Denver's Jeffco airport and thereby reduced the distance to 785 nautical miles. Classification of airplanes for racing has always been a tough thing to agree on completely. In 1996 I flew our Archer in the race from Denver in the "Corinthian Certified Divison" (360 Cu. in.) and finished 9th behind 7 Mooneys and an Arrow. Behind me were Arthur Mattson's Cherokee and a Beechcraft 23 - obviously the chances were heavily skewed in the favor of the "201"s and "231"s but I loved every minute of the race. When Aircraft Spruce got out of the racing business Eric Whyte and his friends proposed the resumption of the cross country air race to Oshkosh from North Carolina near Kitty Hawk. His team of organizers went to greater detail in the classifications to increase the competitiveness of the event and stimulate speed modification development in experimental aircraft. Today's AirVenture Cup is limited to experimentals and turbocharged aircraft are not seperated from non-turbocharged aircraft. A couple of years ago Mike Thompson organized the the Sport Air Racing League and he followed Eric's lead to start but went much further than Eric to include a vast number of classes for production and experimental aircraft. He does separate turbocharged aircraft from non-turbocharged aircraft, he has turboprop classes, he has biplane classes, etc. SARL sanctions the AirVenture Cup race as well as 13 other ones this year (so far) and all classes are recognized with finish points for the national championship trophies and class championship placques. So there are differences. James Redman was awarded higher place points by SARL even though he finished behind the Polen Special because the Polen Special was turbocharged. I don't have any feeling about the classes one way or the other but they are different. In the SARL view mike would put you in the RV Red Turbocharged class by default but you could elect to fly in one of the other classes that you fit into as long as you declare before the race. You do not have to be a member of SARL to fly in the SARL sanctioned races but you do not get points unless you are a member. For the AirVenture Cup race, which is my personal favorite, you could fly in any of the classes listed by Eric and try to win one of the trophies for that class. I would select the RV Red class if I were you because the "Sprint" guys are super fast with first and second place finish speeds at 258.51 mph and 238.80mph respectively the two finishers in RV Red were 214.06 and 207.10 respectively. RV Blue jumps up quite a bit to 249.91 and 233.14 mph. If you fly in the SARL races as RV Red T you no doubt will be in a class by yourself but the results are produced in two lists with one of them listing all finishers regardless of class in speed order.

I sincerely hope to see you in one of the races this year. the AVC race will be out of Dayton with a very nice pre-race dinner and probably a private tour of the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB on the evening before the race. It is a first class event and the race aircraft are impressive but nothing compares with the race itself.

Bob Axsom

Back