What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tillamook Air Museum (KTMK)

R

Rutus

This is probably well known already to a lot of folks, but a nice day trip is a visit to the Tillamook Air Museum, located right on the field at Tillamook, OR (KTMK). The field is an old Naval Air Station and the museum is housed in a huge blimp hangar built for coastal patrol blimps in WW2. Lots of great planes, and - almost as good - many really interesting period exhibits of radio and navigation gear, uniforms, other accessories/hardware, and some good writeups of the WAVES, WASPS, Tuskegee Airmen, and famous WW2 pilots from Oregon (Marion Carl, Rex Barber, Ken Jernstedt . . .) I've flown over the Hood River airport many times and saw it was named Ken Jernstedt field - now I see Ken was a member of the AVG (something I probably had read somewhere in years past but had not made the connection). Lots of information right here: http://www.tillamookair.com

Yesterday, the weather here in the Pacific Northwest was pretty nice for February, so Emma and I headed to Bremerton, preflighted, and were off by 1030. One hour to Tillamook, via Ilwaco and then down the Oregon coastline (hard to beat that natural beauty), and an easy approach into "The Land of Trees, Cheese and Ocean Breeze!" - as I recall a welcome sign on the highway from years back. You can taxi right up to the north end of Rwy 1 and follow the taxiway to the back of the museum. And, finding the airport is easy - Tillamook itself is situated in a little bowl where the coastal mountains give way to Tillamook Bay and the coastline; the airport is on the southeast side of town, and the enormous building with AIR MUSEUM painted on it is visible from about 5 miles away.

The museum has a very well stocked gift shop, a nice little restaurant/cafe, helpful staff, 1940s period music playing at a nice discrete level, plus Allisons, Merlins, a Griffon, corncobs, R-2800s, WW2 jeeps, an F-14, Mig-17, and F-8 for you jet fans, cockpit trainers from various early jets that you can hop in an try out, some bodaciously beautiful nose art on a Lockheed P2V Neptune. . . . its all good.

After lunch, a tour of the museum, and a gift shop stop, we launched back for Bremerton and had some nice tailwinds giving us 175+ kts over the ground with throttle to spare, and touched back down in less that an hour.

Highly recommended if you've not been there yet - I think Emma's twin sister Grace is now going to want to go for a visit. Guess I'll just have to be a good father and make the sacrifice to head back a second time . . . ;)

Hi John,

Nice looking -6, the wife and I parked the Cobra Ball (-4) right next to you at TMK Saturday, It was a great day and a great destination.

Russ

Aha!

Russ, I almost mentioned that good looking -4 that was parked there when we left. We had arrived about 11:30 and I was surprised to not see any other airplanes there on what was a pretty nice day. I was checking out your prop - you're flying an MT?

Yes, it?s an MTV-15B-183-33 Bolted to a home built angle valve IO-360. I?ve put about 650 hours on the prop/engine since major, loving it! The Cobra Ball is an old bird, May 1983; we came over from Person field in Vancouver WA.

Russ

I did one of my cross country's to Tillamook. When I was done with the museum I came out to find wisps of fog moving across the Field and ran to get out of Dodge. I made it out but as I was making climbing turns to get over the mountains and back to the Willamette valley I couldn't see the airport for the fog. Turned out Tillamook was fogged in for the next week. I almost got caught by some pretty serious lack of planning.

Great little town

I was there in August when I took my daughter to school (Lewis & Clark College) in Portland. The gift shop at the air museum has some of the most reasonable prices I've encountered for a tourist kinduv spot. I got a nice fleece zip-up jacket with their logo on it for $19.95. At one time the wooden hangers (old airship hangars)were allegedly the largest clearspan wooden structures in the world. The cheese factory on the north side of town is a fun tour with great cheese to buy and take with, and the state park and beach are scenic Tillamook spot. Can't wait to go back. :)

Here's a pic of the blimp hangar

oregon068.jpg

At one time wasn't there a second hangar there? Seems like I remember a fire that took out the second one and some of the museum display.

Rosy Indeed!

Yep, Alton, that was the one I was referring to. I explained to Emma that the Japanese were not the only things on the minds of young men who were a long way from home, often living in pretty unpleasant conditions, and risking their own skins every time they launched on those long patrol and bombing missions out over the cold and pitiless Pacific Ocean. :p

Back