What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-390 from Aerosport

mashy73

Just wondering if anyone out there had put the new IO390 in a RV yet? I have just ordered my kit and plan on buying this engine. I would like to hear from anyone that has and how it performed. thanks :)

Hi Mashy,

There is a guy with one in an -8A. Dick Martin is his name. I met him and his -8A at OSH. Not sure where he is from. Maybe someone here does. I am guessing that he is from one of those states down south because he was sporting one of those funny hats they wear down there! :p

Dick had the IO-390 spinning a www.aerocomposites.com airscrew. He said it was super smooth and he liked it alot!

Me? I am doing the IO-390 in my -7 when I near that stage of the game. I am unsure about the prop, though. The plastic ones sure are pricey! The old fashioned metal ones are tried and true, cost less and put the weight where you need it on a -7. Right on the nose.

Good choice in engines, I think!

:cool: CJ

Dick Martin

Dick is from Green Bay, Wisconsin - not too far south, despite the hat. He has his own strip and a very fast RV-8, apparently. He's usually at OSH and can probably be found in the white pages. Bill

Dick is from Green Bay, and his # is 920-619-6968. He is also a dealer for Trutrak and Aerocomposite props (I believe.) He is running the IO-390 in his -8.

engine mount for IO-390

Hi guys,

Does the IO 390 use the same engine mount as the 200hp angle valve Lyc? I guess the question is does Vans sell an engine mount that will work with the IO-390?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim, yes...

From what I understand (and I am willing to put my own hard earned greenbacks down on this decision) the 390 uses the same mount as the 360.

It is essentially the same engine, except it breathes heavier!

Yahhhhh, I like it!

:D CJ

Captain_John said:
From what I understand (and I am willing to put my own hard earned greenbacks down on this decision) the 390 uses the same mount as the 360.
I'll second CJ's comment... my understanding is that it is esentially a bored out 360... same case, different cylinders. The 390 is on the top of my list too! Vroom, Vroom!

Edit: I just re-read my earlier comment, bored out might not be a good term to describe it, cyclinders with a larger displacement would be more appropriate.

Last edited:
Io-390

Hey guys,

the IO-390-X will fit the RV-7 and RV-8 easily. the prop governor drive is in the front on the left half of the case. When your cowling is ordered, use the cowling for the IO-360 A1B6. You will also need a longer governor cable. Not an issue. The IO-390X has the same internal's as the A1B6 and is unrecognizable unless you read the stamping on the rocker covers. There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Is the IO390 getting its additional displacement by an increase in bore or stroke (over the IO360). If the stroke is longer then surely the engine must be wider. Might not there be clearance issues inside the cowl.

Reviving the old thread...

I am getting close to ordering my finishing kit and I need to specify some engine stuff. I understand that I need the cowling for the IO-360 A1B6 so that it will accomodate the prop governor in the front of the engine. Cool, got it!

What about the engine mount? Is it the Dynafocal I which I specify?

Also, horizontal or vertical induction?

I am indifferent as to whether or not I install a scoop.

From what I have gathered, it is no scoop for horizontal and scoop for vertical. Is this typically the case?

I am leaning towards NOT installing a scoop for simplicity. I have only seen this engine equipped with a horizontal setup, so this may be a moot point.

Is there anything else I need to consider when ordering my finish kit?

:rolleyes: CJ

Thanks Marc,

Before typing this message to the board, I sent you an email. It looked kinda like this:

Would you do it all over again? I mean, if given the choice to do this again or a 360, would you pick the 390 all over again? There are all the subtle differences that make this a complicated install. Was it worth it in the end?

When ordering the finish kit from Van, did you specify IO-360 stuff or did they accept the 390 as a "standard" configuration? Were there any deletions or things you would have done differently?

:) CJ

I'm kinda curious. Why Aerosport Power for your IO-390?

Today there are quite a few places (six?) authorized to assemble and sell the Lycoming IO-390 kit. I'm sure they are all good folks.

However, Monty Barrett developed the engine package and arguably knows more about it than anyone. BPE had acro and race customers out there beating them up years before the kit program. Lycoming decided to kit the package after Barrett proved it.

Yeah, Monty is my friend. Walk around a big fly-in with him and you'll notice something. The big names and old heads like and respect him, even the ones flying brand-X because of sponsorship. There's a reason.

Need more reasons? Price is pretty much the same, but used aircraft with Barrett engines bring a premium on down the road. Allen and Rhonda are right here answering questions too.

I've already sent my check. My reason has nothing to do with friendship and everything to do with technical competence. The purpose for my new RV-8 is to fly my wife. For that task I want the lowest possible risk, and knowing what I know I think Barrett is the best bet.

Dan Horton

Hi Dan,

...you talkin' ta me?

:confused:

I didn't start the thread. I just hijacked it!

I am not sold on any one vendor, and so far I have spoken to several and they are all very cooperative and if I had 6 planes to build I would buy an engine from every one!

BTW, I am kinda confused on FI systems. Can anyone enlighten me as to the reasons they selected the one they did?

:rolleyes: CJ

No, Captain John, talking to Mashy73, the fellow who started the thread.

Dan Horton

I see...

Mashman hasn't posted since July. I wonder if he is keeping tabs on this thread?

Does anyone feel like doing a primer on FI systems?

:confused: CJ

DanH said:
No, Captain John, talking to Mashy73, the fellow who started the thread.

Dan Horton

He appears to be from Canada, which might have something to do with it. What's the warranty at Barrett's? There are a number of builders that I would trust, but I ended up with an Aerosport engine due to their outstanding 3 year warranty, which starts from first flight.

FWIW, I just ran my Aerosport O-360 yesterday (and today), and it was absolutely perfecto :D

Cheers,
Rusty (DAR 11th, First flight 18th)

<<Mashman hasn't posted since July.>>

Well, a big "duh" on me, Captain John. I didn't realize it was an antique thread from last year until you pointed it out....twice.

Dan

That's cool, Dan.

BTW, I have been gathering 411 on FI systems.

ALSO... from what I have been hearing about Airfow Performance is GOOD!

Anyone have anything to add?

I like the sounds of the purge function.

:) CJ

Back