What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mark Frederick's Continental EVO Rocket

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Mark Frederick has entered his new big Continental powered EVO Rocket in the Taylor 100 next month (March 14) at Taylor, Texas. If you want to see this airplane in operation this would be a good time. According to the links at www.sportairrace.org the first plane launches at 0945 and since the launches are in fastest plane first order to minimize passing you need to be there by that time. This is currently a one of a kind airplane/power plant system and it should be impressive.

Bob Axsom

I'm looking forward to see your airplane as well

I'm looking forward to seeing your airplane as well but I doubt that you will be ready for racing by March 14.

Bob Axsom

That would be great

If you can make it that would be great! We are going down to Florida for the launch of the Kepler Spacecraft on March 5 (the last project I worked on) with the plane in cruise configuration. There is a lot of work to complete in the following week to get the plane race ready but I am looking forward to it. I would be especially happy to see you in the starting line-up.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I was in TX this weekend and so I stopped by Taylor TX to see the "Green Machine." Mark had a lapse in good judgement and he let me fly it!!!!

The Thrust line is 1.5" lower than the Lycoming and I had wondered how it would look. Rest easy, the airplane looks GREAT! The cowling has a curve in it's back that hints of a King Air nacelle. The airplane has a turbine like look to it.

There were no gear leg fairings or wheel pants so speed runs don't mean alot, but it seems about as fast or faster than my airplane even without those. I am pretty sure it will be faster than the Lycoming airplane.

For those who havent seen the picts, the cooling air exits thru big cowl flaps on the side of the cowling instead of the bottom. The exhaust exits out the righthand side like an AT-6. It leaves the beautiful exhaust streak on the side like a Mustang, but if there are any leaks, it would also leave oil on the side like a T-6.

I hopped in and fired it up and the overwing exhaust sounds really tough with canopy open. I warmed it up and got familiar with the D120. It is pretty slick, I had not flown with one and it works well.

Once the canopy is closed the noise level seemed no different than '84.

The take-off is well, Rocket like, it has noticably more torque and acceleration than '84. It was a rough day with lots of clouds. I was able to get up to 5K and the airfilter sits on the front of the fuel servo inside the top cowl and there is no ram rise that I could see, at 5K @ 175 kias pushing the throttle to the stop yielded 25 inches max. That is a good number, but not as good as the pitot intake on the lycoming cowling.

The airplane is a dream to fly, like all Rockets. My gut told me that it will be faster in both cruise and climb rate than '84, but without the wheel pants and fairings any comparison would be meaningless.

The lean feature on the Dynon is simple and as expected pulling the mixture back the cylinders all peak very close together and the airplane was very happy lean of peak, but i wasnt cruising, I was having fun, so i pushed it up again, and was tearing up the sky.

What was amazing was that the airplane only has about 10 hours on it and it was really well sorted out. Everything worked as expected and I had burned enough of Marks gas so i went back to his home strip and landed.

Mark says the CG is slightly farther forward as expected. The Cont 550 is the smoothest piston aircraft engine there is, and with the vibration dampening of the composite MT prop, it is turbine smooth! Further it will maintain more power higher and it is designed to run LOP and it does that so smoothly. The result of that is higher fuel economy. This is a slick set up!

It was a Blast!!! When he gets the fairings on it, we can fly together and then we will have some really good numbers, for now all i can say is it flies nice, climbs fast, and runs smooth.. That's a pretty good start.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Last edited:
SWEET AIRPLANE

I thought some pics would go good with above post so here you go.

Proud owner/builder Mark Frederick

It looks like the numbers were off for Mark in the race. 84 had better speeds recorded. Maybe more tweaking is in order... ;)

It looks like the numbers were off for Mark in the race. 84 had better speeds recorded. Maybe more tweaking is in order... ;)
Mark has yet to fit the airplane with gear leg fairings and his RPM was limited to 2450 dF due to some airflow issues over cylinder #3. Yep, he is still tweaking and probably will be for most of this year.

Well still tweaking I'm sure

The plane is still evolving I'm sure with the new Continental 550 but it had the landing gear fairings on for the Taylor 100 Air Race. I photographed it. He flew the course at 227.64 mph.

Bob Axsom

According to Mark, he had the wheel pants on but not the gear leg fairings. Of course, I wasn't there either. Perhaps he had on the upper and lower GLF but not the fairing that runs up and down the gear leg?

That airplane looks awesome! I wonder what the ultimate top speed will be when it's done, and the final cost. I've got an idea :D

Team Rocket ...a new logo?

Not sure if this came to me in a dream or a nightmare... just my twisted humor for the day.

r4jHYlIP8j7Kd4Iqf8HV1w

fairings

According to Mark, he had the wheel pants on but not the gear leg fairings. Of course, I wasn't there either. Perhaps he had on the upper and lower GLF but not the fairing that runs up and down the gear leg?

Hey Fellas:

No leg or intersection fairings -- wheelpants only. We're busy with an engine change on the C45, else I'd be busy with fairing installation...one thing at a time seems to be a good plan.

My max race power was 2450/30", restricted by #3 cyl -- the dang fuel flow sensor is right on top of #3, and keep the CHT kinda high on that cyl. I flew with that cyl at 430F -- above my personal limits, but this was a RACE, man! This is a std Cirrus installation -- I guess their larger cowl allows better air flow with that sensor/box in the way? In any case, I need to move that sensor...duhhhh....

Can't make the W Texas race -- not gonna get the hours flown off in time.

Carry on!
Mark

Wow Mark. That is really nice.

It brings back memories of my T6G, but it also reminds me of my Rocket.:)

Plan B not required...

It brings back memories of my T6G, but it also reminds me of my Rocket.:)

That's the exact target I was trying to hit -- but I had no idea if any of the Conti mods would pan out, or if I would be going back to the drawing board...or if we could just tweak 'er till she would take anything we could throw at 'er. Turns out we came close enough that a little of this and some of that will be enough to call it a success. I am amazed!

Carry on!
Mark

Back