What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slow Build Wing using Free Standing Wing Jig

rbregs

I am building in a hangar and unable to fix either the base or top of any jigs used. From this site, I've read how an RV-6 wing was built using a free standing jig.

For those of you who have built an RV-3 wing, I would appreciate your thoughts on any problems you would anticipate if building your wings using a free standing jig.

I do understand that a RV-3B Quick build wing is an option. Therefore, no replies are needed providing that guidance.

Thanks,

Bob

RV-3 free standing wing jig

The key is that the fixture must be fixed in position relative to the wing.

One could construct a steel fixture that is mounted on castors and get by quite nicely, though the construction of the fixture would be time consuming and expensive vs the metods commonly employed. However, if you really can't get the hangar owner to allow you to put some anchor points in the floor, it sounds like you either take your wing home to build, find another hangar or make a mobile wing jig.

The reason that the fixture must hold the wing tightly in postion as you assemble, is that if the fixture (or jig) moves or flexes, you could induce a warp into your wing and your plane would be always wanting to fly to the left or to the right.

It is a realistic axiom that the wing is only as good as the jig.

Solution: change to an RV-12. It uses matched hole tooling. No wing jig needed.

Depends on how you describe free standing. I built my 3 wings and a couple of 4 builders built thier 4 wings on a free standing jig. It was built of 4" square steel tubing welded to a 12" square 1/4" plate that was bolted to the hanger floor. Easily removed. Can't imagine doing it if its not mounted.
Tom
RV3 978TM

Make it heavy...

I built my 6 wings on a free standing steel jig. It was constructed of 4" x 4" square steel tubing with triangular braced "feet" of heavy angle. It was heavy enough that it was not necessary to bolt it to the floor. That jig built 3's, 4's, and 6's and was passed around for many, many years.
Might be overkill for just one project.

Thanks For the Replies

I was able to get approval to install some fasteners to the hangar floor. I may still go with a QB wing. Either way, will need to fix fuselage jig to the floor, unless I knuckle under and build an RV-8.

Thank you for your replies to my question.

Bob

Some builders will find a perminate spot, level and bondo the jig to the floor. You will be amazed at how strong a big glob of bondo is. Cleans up real easy once you're done with the jig. Built my 3 fuselage that way, watched a 4 do the same and helped (a little) my buddy jig and build the worlds fastest Reno F1 racer that way.
Rv3 pilot

"Bondoing" a jig

I have no experience with bondo, however, I read elsewhere in this forum of someone recommending bondo as a jig anchoring adhesive. I think the post stated that once you are done with the jig you can "break the bond" between the bondo and the floor by hitting the bondo with a hammer.

I'm also considering the use of "liquid nails." Apparently they also sell "liquid nails" remover. I read that you use the same type of cutting wire used to cut the rubber seal around a car's windshield when it's being replaced to separate the jig from the adhesive. Then you use the adhesive remover to remove the adhesive residue from the concrete floor.

The bondo method sounds simplier. I'll investigate both methods.

Bob

Bondo

If you go to a place like the Gulfstream Service Center in Savannah, you will see their products jigged that way if they have to do major structural repairs like replacing a skin. Not only at the floor, but also use it between the jig and aircraft as a liquid shim to make sure nothing moves when they start drilling

Use a wall

I was tight on space and bolted a bracket on a wall in my basement then clamped the outboard end to that. Only needed a braced fixture at the inboard end.

Alan

A free-standing jig has worked well for my slow-build (remarkably slow) wings. The jig is bondoed to the floor and that's been secure. The leading edges were up.

2vj7hox.jpg

There's a description of the jig to go along with these sketches in post #185 in my blog here.

2uf55jk.jpg

2vtxukp.jpg

When it came time to install the ailerons and flaps, I used the old wing box and made a cradle. Through good luck it fit nicely in between the legs of the jig, which still stands. A friend helped me remove the wings, flip them leading edge down and rest them in the cradle. But we'll reinstall them on the jig for alignment while I rivet the bottom skins on. At that point the cradle will go out to the hangar for when the wings are skinned.

ixutfl.jpg

Dave

I bonded my jig to floor, and screwed to ceiling to build the wings for my -4, it worked out perfectly. If you like the three and want tandem, the -4 is incredible, especially with 200 hp and a cs prop.

Back