What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HR11 baggage space

Paul B

Is the HR11 baggage area any different (larger) than the area in an RV-4? Have any builders made larger or additional baggage areas for their HR11?

Can't tell you about the RV-4's or the HR2's baggage as I 've never had the opportunity to see one.
On my HR3 the baggage compartment behind my seat is one large cavity from F-407 to F-409. I have done the C/G calcs to handle 110 lbs. from F-407up to F-408 and then 30 lbs. up to F-409. This was done with minimum fuel and myself at heaviest configuration for the most aft c/g scenario.
I mounted an E size Aerox oxygen bottle in the aft section and have the forward section for everything else.
I usually cube out before I weigh out and have never had to leave anything behind when I go to work.
But then again I'm only 1 person.

HR II baggage

Paul

HR II baggage compartments are larger than the RV-4's due to the fast back aft turtle deck.

Move the elevator bell crank to behind the bulkhead to get rid of the stepped up area that normally covers it. Put your battery back there beside it. You are going to need weight back there anyways.

When flying solo, I put 60# in the baggage area. I run out of elevator trim on landing if I don't.

Bryan Carr

Big Bags...

Paul,
One of the many nice things about the Rocket is no CG issues, comparatively speaking. That doesn't mean "stuff a Honda 250 back there", but much better than the -4. Most HR2 driver/builders I have met have a shelf of .020 going back to F407 along the longerons, effectively giving you double the baggage area, mine included.

Here is a photo...

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Back