What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TruTrak autopilot retrofit

randylervold

Bill Newkirk asked me about retrofitting a TruTrak autopilot to his -3B and I thought the info might be useful in the archives....

randylervold said:
N13BN said:
Randy;
I would like to install a Trutrak wing-leveler in N283RV. Do you think the servo could be installed under the seat? A wing location is not the greatest because I don't have a clue about how to get the wiring to it.

So far, since I bought N283RV from Paul Clohan in April, over 90 enjoyable hours have been flown. The Catto prop that you and others recommended has proven to be the cat's ***. I'm tickled.

Bill Newkirk
Hi Bill, glad you're enjoying your -3! There's just not enough room under the seat, and the stick mixer mechanism is so bulky that locating the servo there would be tough as well. Since you have a -3B then you have the newer style aileron bellcranks and TruTrak makes an install kit that let's it bolt right in. Running the wires out there won't be as tough as you think. Get a 90 degree Makita cordless drill and use a unibit with it to drill holes in all the wing ribs. Believe it or not you will be able to get the drill in there through the inspection holes. Be glad you have a -3B wing, the old -3 wing did not have the inner inspection covers.

BTW, the pitch servo is an easy install back at the elevator bellcrank if you wanted to install two axis.

Lastly, you might want to put this out in the forum so others can benefit from the info too.

Cheers,
Randy

Back