What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Bowl airspace restrictions published

N941WR

Legacy Member
TSA has gone crazy! 30 NM TFR for a football game, give me a break!

AOPA said:
Super Bowl airspace restrictions published
Airports in the Tampa area are preparing for increased traffic during Super Bowl XLIII week. The FAA has issued a notam establishing temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) in Tampa on Feb. 1 up to 4,000 feet, and traffic management initiatives in the Tampa area from Jan. 29 to Feb. 2. A 30-nm TFR is in effect from 4 p.m. until 11:59 p.m. on Feb. 1. This effectively shuts down general aviation between those hours, something that AOPA opposes. Neither area residents nor AOPA officials are happy with the FAA's decision to allow such an impact. Eight airports in the Tampa area are affected by the initiatives, including Lakeland, Fla. Read more on AOPA Online.

Pretty comparable to what they did in Detroit a couple of years back.....

Detroit City Airport lost a LOT of business to Pontiac (PTK) since they were outside the TFR, and people could get out of town that much quicker.

The really funny thing is that Canada didn't recognize the TFR, so you could get about 6 blocks from the stadium if you remained in Canadian airspace.

Makes perfect sense to me.....

ADIZ ADIZ Go Away, Don't Come Back Another Day

Once they got away with installing the permanent DC ADIZ soon to be SFRA, it emboldened the Feds. The door is now open and I fear next for Chicago and NY City.

Can't they just restrict the terrorist birds.

Who is winning?

Can't they just restrict the terrorist birds.

That would be discrimitory.

The more freedoms are taken away the more I wonder who is winning the war on terrorism; the free society or the terrorist.

Given the speed of an RV and there only being a 4,000 foot restriction.
Isn't just plain silly to think that would stop someone from getting in there.

I mean, come on.. unless you got surfarce to air missles hangin around, there's no way they could scramble something in time to intercept you.

So isn't it pointless ?? Seems to me that it's kind of like a false sense of security which in reality doesn't do any good and as usual creates a negative impact on GA.

It's time to reign in the TSA and we can start with the Large Aircraft program currently in the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. These guys work for us, after all, but perhaps they don't know it.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ben Franklin, 1755

Back