What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

car cd player mounting

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Don't know where to exactly put this topic but here it is...

Does anyone have any pics showing how they mounted a car cd player on the panel. I have a Panasonic CQ-5310 (cd/mp3) and it has a very weird mounting tray, unlike anything I've personally seen. It has all these weird shaped tabs you can bend to keep it in position in a car. I stared at it and the player for a long time but couldn't come up with how I could attach it to the panel.

Appreciate the help!
Scott

Scott, I heard somewhere that automobile CD players couldn't stand the vibration in an airplane. Anybody else have a comment?

Derrell
7A Finish

C.D. player mounting

It sounds like a typical setup to me. These have been in use for about 10 years or more now.

You cut a retangular hole in the dash, sized so that the tray/mount slides in, (but not through the panel, small return flange to keep that from happening), and just bent whichever ste of tabs match the thickness of the panel.

You MUST support the rear of the unit, usually has a stud. or captured nut to attach a bracket to.

I dont know about the viberation issue raised in the post above, but the mounting should be a snap.

If this is still not clear, go to a local stereo shop, and they can show you.

Good luck.

Mike

You mean you're going with a non-certified, non-aviation CD player? :eek:

I hope it's for VFR only! :p

I've got a Pioneer CD player in the panel. Throw the mounting tray away, there are plenty of holes in the sides, top and bottom of the radio chasis to attach a support angle to. I wish I had a picture but don't, I can get one in a few days when I get out to the airport.

As for vibration- it is not an issue. The thing performs as well as in my truck. It will on occasion skip during moderate turbulence, but that's it.

Another option is to include an audio input with your intercom and use an Ipod or Discman with an AMFM radio. That way you can save valuable panel space.

Roberta

My Pioneer CD/MP3 player works great in the air

My Pioneer CD/MP3 player works great. No vibration issue. Only a "G" problem. It quits working at 4 G and above but as soon as you reduce G load below 4, it starts working again.

I installed mine per the Pioneer insturction Manual. The rear support is a 3/4 X 3/4 X 0.032 angle on the rear bolt going up to a bolt on the bulkhead just in front of the panel.

I did need to use TWO (2) audio transformers so that the stereo would work with the intercom. I am using the speaker outputs into the intercom. The intercom ties the common speaker wire to ground. Unable to ground the speaker output to the airframe as it must be isolated. The 1000 / 8 ohm audio transformers do NOT need to be rated at the HIGH wattage of the unit. You do not have much of a load in watts so the small 1" square audio transformers work great.

I tried a battery operated MP3 player. I do not like the cables in the cockpit. I think it does not look professional. The RV-6 has lots of space for full IFR and entertainment system.

Gary A. Sobek
RV-6, N157GS, O-320 Hartzell
Flying 1,799+ hours. 1st flight Sept 1997 SoCAL

Mike S said:
It sounds like a typical setup to me. These have been in use for about 10 years or more now.

You cut a retangular hole in the dash, sized so that the tray/mount slides in, (but not through the panel, small return flange to keep that from happening), and just bent whichever ste of tabs match the thickness of the panel.

You MUST support the rear of the unit, usually has a stud. or captured nut to attach a bracket to.

I dont know about the viberation issue raised in the post above, but the mounting should be a snap.

If this is still not clear, go to a local stereo shop, and they can show you.

Good luck.

Mike

I see that you're a tip-up guy. One advantage to an in-dash CD player, for us tip-up types, is that by putting it at the top of your radio stack, any water which runs off will hit the $120 CD player and not the $$$ Garmin 430, etc.

jeffpointrv63sh.jpg

Or the $650 Icom A-200, if you're cheap!

CD/Tape Player Installation

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a082.htm

That page shows how my unit is installed in my RV-9A. I don't do aerobatics, so it works just fine anytime, tape or CD. I used the LINE OUT phono plug connections to the music input on my GMA-340 audio panel.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A 90622
N2PZ 124.6 Hobbs hours
www.n2prise.org

Back