What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Help

Paul

Well, after reading all the setup info I could get hold of for the APRS systems, I broke down and bought the 8000FA.

Got the unit in, programmed and wired it up.
Threw it in the truck with a roof mounted antenna and went driving
around town. Not 1 hit on the APRS map. Nothing Zip Notta! :(

The unit has a solid green light. The red light comes on when transmitting.

I set it to max power and tryed various settings, Nothing.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
Hey Paul,
If your seeing the red light, your transmitting. Your in Kansas City and should have no problem getting to an i-gate.

My first check would be the frequency entered in the setup. You have probably checked that.

Do you have a portable radio? Would be nice to know if there was "modem like" noise on the frequency when your red light went off.

Paul, can you post a screenshot of your configuration screen you uploaded to the unit? It would be helpful for us to see if you made an error in programming.

So I got an email from Allen at VHS that makes the 8000FA. He stated to go ahead and turn the power up with the potentiometer all the way clockwise.

Well, well, I bet we just found the problem. The Documentation stated Counter-clockwise for full power. :D

I'll try that on the way home today and see......

Last edited:
MT-8000 FA manual

I checked and found we had the old version (V 1.1) of the manual on the Byonics website. My bad! I just sent an update to Byonc with the manual for Version 1.2. If anyone needs a copy immediately, you can PM me and I will send you a copy. FYI, the main difference in the units is that the older version can be overdriven, by setting the gate voltage (power adjustment) too high. The new version is set to maximum power when the power control potentiometer is rotated all the way clockwise, not CCW, as in a few older versions.

Allen
VHS

Thanks Allen,

I just got my unit up and working a couple weeks ago as well. I did not adjust the potentiometer at all. Without a meter, can you tell us how many amps the units are pre-set to transmit?

So, with the right instructions, :eek: turning up the power works like a charm. Excellent tracking across the ground up and down the highways. Can't wait to put it in the plane.

I will definitely be turning the power back down before then.

If you have been holding off on one of these devices, I would tell you that Allen offers a fantastic product and excellent support.

Works exactly as advertised!

Back