What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kiss

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
I am a "minimalist" new word,sp? If I do not use something in the last two years I get rid of it. .,.,,,no junk in my hanger.,!!!,.,
I fly VFR. I wish I could have an IFR RV.,.., but too complicated for me to work on,,.. keep up,.,.,.$$$.., ect.
Set me straight

Last edited:
responding to my own comment,,,,
We, Doug, and Danny, are changing Dougs engine, He has a "not magnito" system of making the spark plugs fire, real neet,!!!,,,,,,, but it has added two weeks to his engine swap. We had to swap the brain out, really no big deal, just making my case of build it simple and get it in the air quicker.
Give me a rubber band!!! if it is easer to work on and faster to GET IT FLYING.
I know most do not want a simple RV like Borrowed Horse .,.,but,,,. it can be done in 4 months!!!!

Last edited:
K.I.S.S. has it's merits. I tend to dwell in minutia. I will get hung up on a detail and it becomes a huge stumbling block. The more complicated the hang up, the harder it is to get over.

This probably goes for all types, even the "get-it-done" ones.

I plan on building a somewhat complicated RV. But with this means some stuff gets deleted.

For instance, all electric (Dynon EFIS) means no vacuum stuff. It also means less panel cutouts and more panel space.

Capacitive senders means no moving parts. Simple, but mentally more complex.

Welded landing gear... gotta love it! Dirt simple!

Oh, and I keep junk until waaaaay after it isn't useful anymore!

;) CJ

I've found junk I forgot I had.
I'm building an RV10, simple, basic day/night VFR. No injection, simple o-540, 250 hp is the plan. I kind of figure that from OK, IF WEATHER PERMITS, I can get just about anywhere in the U.S.A. in 1 day in the summer time (longer days).

Marshall Alexander
RV10 builder-wings

It all depends on how you plan to use your airplane. Nothing like taking two years to build your dream only to realize after you're flying that it's missing some important features.

I think the biggest problem to getting these things done is learning to know when something is done and to leave it alone. Like CJ said, if you dwell on the minutia, it takes forever. I look at some of the stuff I did on my RV-6 and now, just shake my head that I spent four weeks building the perfect tail wheel fairing. Inside of two months, the thing was so beat up it was bearly recognizable.

Once you learn what "good enough" is, you'll be on your way to getting your project done much faster, IMHO.

Back