What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Someone almost had a bad day....

Don Jones

Well Known Member
.... or maybe it was! I had a student in the pattern the other day working on shorts and softs. We were doing stop and goes and on one of them I saw this tow bar laying on the runway. It has serious grind marks on the handle, one end is seriously bent, and there are black tire marks on it. It was obviously left attached on someone's aircraft during take off. I would be amazed if it didn't damage the aircraft somewhere when it departed. Be careful with those tow bars folks, this happens more than any of us realize. Sometimes it's the simple stuff that bites us!

tow1.jpg

tow2.jpg

tow3.jpg

tow4.jpg

Last edited:
Sparkplug

She who is also known as "Killer Kate" did her first lesson in a C172 with the towbar attatched...remained there until after landing!!!!

Tower spoteed it and no doubt the CFI was a little embarassed!

Frank

Have we just discovered yet another reason that taildraggers are superior to noserollers? A towbar left attached to your tailwheel is FAR less likely to cause significant damage!

FWIW- that looks like the Deluxe Cessna Tow Bar that also doubles quite nicely as a RV taildragger tow bar. Is it for sale?

Don't need no stinking towbars

Facilitating them adds drag even if you don't leave them attached during flight ops.

Bob Axsom

Another almost bad day...

Here is one the Albuquerque FSDO sent me. This one managed to stay on during the take off.

towbarsm.jpg

Last edited:
Out where we can see it

We leave our tow bar leaning next to the building by the fuel pump. Easy to see after start up while sitting in the aircraft.

Andrew
-4 started and sold
dreaming again

There is one RV fatal crash attributed to leaving a tow bar on the plane during a take-off run. I've read it on the NTSB site several times. I believe it was a -6A.

Here is one the Albuquerque FSDO sent me. This one managed to stay on during the take off.

towbarsm.jpg

Somebody clean the bottom of that airplane! :D

Because of the frequent brain fades the pilot of my airplane experiences, a "rule" is strictly enforced that the towbar must never leave my, uh, the pilot's hand unless the bar is either in the hangar or the cabin of the plane. The rule has worked.....so far.......

Ok, I found it. My memory did fail me as it wasn't a fatal accident.

On April 28, 2004, about 1630 eastern daylight time, an amateur built RV-6A, N999SB, was substantially damaged while executing a precautionary landing after departing from the Shannon Airport (EZF), Fredericksburg, Virginia. The certificated private pilot was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan had been filed for the personal flight conducted under 14 CFR 91.

According to the pilot, shortly after takeoff, he was notified that the airplane's tow bar was attached and hanging from the nose wheel. The pilot remained in the traffic pattern and attempted to land on runway 6, a 2,910-foot-long, 100-foot-wide, asphalt runway. Upon turning final, he extended the flaps to 40 degrees, and subsequently the airplane got too slow and could not make the runway. The pilot decided to land on a dirt field, west of runway 6. While touching down, the tow bar came in contact with the ground, and caused the airplane to nose over.

Examination of the airplane by a Federal Aviation Administration inspector revealed damage to the landing gear, fuselage skin and nose cowl. The pilot stated that he did not experience any mechanical problems with the airplane.

The pilot reported 1,125 hours of total flight experience, which included about 70 hours in the same make and model of the accident airplane.

Winds reported at Shannon, at 1620 hours, were from 300 degrees at 5 knots.

The very first item on my mental and written pre-take off checkist is "Towbar - Locate" Sometimes I bring it with me, sometimes I leave it in the hangar, but I will NEVER start the engine without being sure of where it is. I've actually gotten out of the plane to go look for it before, especially in a "distracted" or non-typical pre-flight. Well worth the effort! Thanks for posting the cool bent towbar pix.

Ok, I found it. My memory did fail me as it wasn't a fatal accident.
I'm glad you were wrong about the outcome, but the story does have some good lessons. It looks like this accident was not necessarily attributable to leaving the towbar attached. It looks like the pilot failed to safely deal with the distraction, and failed to fly the airplane and got slow on final. This is a very similar situation to having a door pop open on takeoff. This is nothing more than a minor irritation (yes I've had it happen) but many airplanes and lives have been lost to this minor distraction.

Emergency Rule #1- Fly the airplane.

Embarrased Owner Found

Seth led me to the owner of the tow bar, needless to say he is
a little embarrased:)

I think the Navy guys call that a tailhook?:rolleyes:

Paul, a tailhook would have to have black and white stripes! ;)

Maybe it'd look like this:

rvhook1an5.jpg

Still working on the hydraulic system to support this (and my poor photoshop skills! :))

On the serious side, great comments about preflights and tow-bar custody control measures! Hopefully no one has tried to take off with a Taildragger-Dragger still attached! Glad the outcome on this one was not bad juju!

Cheers,
Bob

Tow Bar

Long time ago I saw a DC-3 take off with the tow bar attached. I'll bet it changed the CG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marietta

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to the line guy at RYY (Marietta, GA), who saw someone taxiing out to the runway with a bucket attached to the tail (cement filled bucket used as a tie down). He was able to stop him in time. A definite change in CG.

A few years ago I was working on my airplane, tied down next to the taxiway, and an RV-6A came down the taxiway pushing his towbar. I steped onto the taxiway, stopped the plane, had him stop the engine, removed the towbar and handed it to him.

Unfortunately it took me a while to to look at RV drivers in a favorable light.

I'm just now starting my RV build. It will be a taildragger, nosewheels scare me.

wil

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Last summer I landed at an airport, just cruising around the Midwest on a nice summer day. As I taxied up to the ramp I saw a Cessna twin starting to taxi with the tow bar attached ? the big crank on style for towing with a tug. I tried to call them on the radio ? no one answered (they were listening to the awos). So I pulled right in front of them and stopped, got out and hand gestured to them to shutdown. I could read their lips and they weren?t saying very nice things about me. Once they shutdown, I took off the tow bar and held it up in front of the window. Before I could walk back to my plane to push it out of the way they were out of their plane and over saying thanks ? I really didn?t want to see them try to retract the gear with that still on. They were very nice, but I?m sure his wife wasn?t nice to him on the ride home. :eek:[/FONT]

Years ago, while standing on the ramp, I noticed an aircraft doing a fast taxi from his hanger to the pumps in a high price experimental pushing a towbar. Before I could get his attention the end of the tow bar hit an uneven section of the taxi way kicking the end up into the prop.

Rob Herndon - Idaho

Back