What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SoCAL looking for RV ride. will buy the gas.

oneway

my wife and I are seriously considering an airplane. looking at rv8, possibly rv7. nose dragger or taildragger. taildragger likely preferred. live in so cal, off weekends till jan 4th, then fri/sat.
frequent BFL/TSP/WJF/SZP areas.
I'll find you and buy the gas & lunch? fly and eat free for a day? just want to feel em out before we take the next step in deciding.
I definately won't be building.
anybody?

Just a small point

I get a lot of offers to "buy the gas" and i know they are well intentioned but if you are looking for a ride it would be prudent to remember that depreciation of about $10 an hour is a real cost that RV owners have to endure..So not being a party pooper and if someone offers me gas and luch sure we'll go fly.

But I have had a few folks who want to do a long cross country with the offer to "buy gas" and I have politely declined.

Now that notwithsatnding, remember we as private pilots are only allowed to "share expenses"..

Frank

Compensation

I get a lot of offers to "buy the gas" and i know they are well intentioned but if you are looking for a ride it would be prudent to remember that depreciation of about $10 an hour is a real cost that RV owners have to endure..So not being a party pooper and if someone offers me gas and luch sure we'll go fly.

But I have had a few folks who want to do a long cross country with the offer to "buy gas" and I have politely declined.

Now that notwithsatnding, remember we as private pilots are only allowed to "share expenses"..

Frank

Just to put a little finer point on it, our opps specs say "No person may operate this Aircraft for carrying persons or property for compensation or hire." So, a holder of a commercial or ATP still can't take "compensation."

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Try EAA

Check for EAA chapters at the airports you mentioned. You're likely to find a hookup there.

Gary, just over the hill from you is Rosamond.

Few RVs there:)-----you might give that a try.

Nice folks there.

I'm in Tehachapi

I've got a nice 7-A in Tehachapi. Be glad to take you for a ride if it ever stops raining and snowing around here! Sent you a pm.
Chuck Olsen
TSP
RV-7A

Rosamond checkin

I have an RV-6A. I'm out of Rosamond. I'm off for the holidays and am always looking to fly. I would love to take your wife up also. Bring your logbook.

Mercedes
RV-6A
N64SH

I have an RV-6A. I'm out of Rosamond. I'm off for the holidays and am always looking to fly. I would love to take your wife up also. Bring your logbook.

Now that's an offer not to pass up. Those folks at Rosamond are a nice
bunch.

Merry Christmas Mercedes. Only 35 more hours and I'll meet you in Big Bear for breakfast!

Last edited:

Mercedes
RV-6A
N64SH

Told ya there are nice folks there.

my wife and I are seriously considering an airplane. looking at rv8, possibly rv7. nose dragger or taildragger. taildragger likely preferred. live in so cal, off weekends till jan 4th, then fri/sat.
frequent BFL/TSP/WJF/SZP areas.
I'll find you and buy the gas & lunch? fly and eat free for a day? just want to feel em out before we take the next step in deciding.
I definately won't be building.
anybody?

You should have been at Tehachapi (KTSP) on Saturday 20 December 2008. There were 5 RVs on the ramp. We ate breakfast at the Apple Shed restaurant. Could have had your choice between two RV-6s, two RV-8s, and an RV6A.

Thanks for having the snow plowed off the runway and taxiways.

100LL was $2.85 / gallon on Saturday when we were there. The price of fuel should get more RV'ers to stop by without you offering to pay for the gas.

You should have been at Tehachapi (KTSP) on Saturday 20 December 2008. There were 5 RVs on the ramp. We ate breakfast at the Apple Shed restaurant. Could have had your choice between two RV-6s, two RV-8s, and an RV-6A....<snip>
One of those RV-8s is parked in our hangar here at the Rosamond Skypark, next to our RV-6A :D

Along with my neighbor Mercedes, you are welcome here to our home beginning in January. Tuppergal and I are heading to Zürich on Christmas Day for a week of visiting friends (and hope to meet RV-8 builder Mickey Coggins near Geneva ;-) Rosie

Last edited:
Ride in RV-10

If you would like to take the wife at the same time, I have a RV-10
available located at Lancaster, KWJF. Anytime. Weather permitting. It's just an over grown RV-7A.

RV's a Spam Can and Mexican Food

I have the week off between Xmas and New Years and have been looking for a mission. I fly a spam can out of SMO for now, but I'm obsessed with the idea of someday building an RV.

At any rate, I'd love to look over some RVs up close and personal and wouldn't mind checking out the Mexican Restaurant on the field at Rosamond which the Fox Field controllers have told me several times is very good. How about an RV/Cessna roundup sometime next week?

Not such a good fly in destination for the Rosamond people but I'm more than willing to give 172 rides to make up for it!:D
Anyone game?

Last edited:
thanks for all the great offers!
I plan to get in touch with chuck in TSP after the holidays. Mercedes, If i can get in touch with you and rosie to meet you I'll do that too at rosamond.
thanks again guys.( and girls):cool:

Back