What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider Guys Only.....

petehowell

Well Known Member
I found a new way to mount my flashlight in the cockpit and after a few night flights, I think I like it. I modified a AA Cree LED flashlight with a multi setting PWM regulator and used a Fenix Bicycle mount to make a versatile and convinient cockpit light. As a bonus, it is indepenedent of ship's power if it becomes a dark and stormy night.

Attaches to the Slider Bar
Bernie%20Cockpit_088.JPG

Mount is highly and easily adjustable
Bernie%20Cockpit_090.JPG

Puts light where you need it
Bernie%20Cockpit_099.JPG

Stores out of the way, but easily accessed
Bernie%20Cockpit_100.JPG

Here is the flashlight.....

Here is the mount.....

Here is how I modded the flashlight

I can get 20+ hours on a single AA when the light is set for cockpit reading at night - not bad!! Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
Flashlight holder

Pete,

Very nice idea. The website shows the holder with orange colored knobs. How did you get yours with black ones?

Why did you feel you needed to mod the flashlight? Brightness? spread angle of light? other?

This is great because I'm wiring now and haven't seen such a nice solution for night time flood/map/cockpit light.

bevan
RV7A wiring

Answers

Hi Bevan,

The holder came with black knobs - just lucky I guess.

I modded the flashlight to get increased run time. With the stock regulator it is very bright, but the battery only lasts about an hour. With the dimming regulator, you can much extended run times on a single AA battery.

mount

Pete,
Just a thought. That bike mount could work well for a lipstick cam....Waddayathink...

Chris

Nice set up. Try mounting the flashlight on the rear of the canopy so when it is open it is out of the way. Also, at night you'll need the at more of an angle to the surface you want to illuminate.

JMHO

Back