What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking to share dry hangar space at PAO or RHV

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
I've currently got a "port-a-port" hangar at RHV and my airplane and belongings get just about as wet as they would if it was all parked outside on a tie-down.

Anyone got room in their dry hangar that they're looking to share? RV-9A. Ideally I would also like about 15' of wall space for some storage and workbench.

It seems pretty tough finding space around this area. I've seen a few postings for hanger space at SQL, but not much. I'm a _long_ ways from needing a hanger for my project, but I'm already keeping an eye out.

Where did you complete your build and do phase I around here?

Yep - hangar space is hard to find. I did my final build (about a month) at TCY and flew phase I out of there. Then I moved to a group hangar at HWD for a while till finally finding a hangar partner at SQL.

Possibly try checking the pilot lounge boards. Sending an email out on the EAA 20 list is not a bad idea.

Paul,
I saw a flier at Squadron Two with somebody who wanted to share their box hanger at RHV. I will look tomorrow.
Aaron

Last edited:
Hollister

Paul,

You might try poking around Hollister. I know at one time they were subbing out one of the big hangers down there. I know it's a drive, but it's a great airport with lots of room and some interesting stuff going on. When I had an airplane down there, I ended up at HAF for a while, then moved to Hollister basically due to availability and cost.

I was at RHV yesterday, and there are a lot of hangars being vacated there. With their high rents and the current economy, people are moving out to the tie downs. According to the guy in the office, the vacancies will outnumber the waiting list.

Is there any requirements for where you can/can't do Phase I. I vaguely recall there being restrictions on over-flight of densly populated areas, which might rule out SQL/PAO/SJC/RHV, etc. From the sound of things on this board, I shouldn't have too tough a time finding something at south county or Tracy, which are both about equal distance from PAO.

Is there any requirements for where you can/can't do Phase I. I vaguely recall there being restrictions on over-flight of densly populated areas, which might rule out SQL/PAO/SJC/RHV, etc. From the sound of things on this board, I shouldn't have too tough a time finding something at south county or Tracy, which are both about equal distance from PAO.

The FAA won't approve phase I's out of SQL (and I bet PAO). At least the oakland FSDO is great to deal with - I didn't even need a DAR.

Flier phone #, Neal 408-677-8742.
40' X 60' box hanger at RHV to share with one or two more airplanes.
Aaron

The FAA won't approve phase I's out of SQL (and I bet PAO). At least the oakland FSDO is great to deal with - I didn't even need a DAR.

Friend just did a first flight out of Hayward KHWD Xmas day with the FAAs blessing. Not sure about the test area tho.
tm

RHV hangars

I have my skywagon hangared at RHV and hope to have my RV8 there at some point. Lots of churn and vacancies to be sure. I know of three (!)hangars on one row that are going to be open in the next month.

On the shared hangars there, there is a large shared hangar that fronts along capitol expressway. Perhaps thats the 40x60 mentioned here. In talking with the county, they are putting that entire building out to bid and have a few companies interested. It has office space and access to the frontage road so its desireable to other businesses. I'd be careful about going there as its a month to month deal.

That said, as another poster mentioned, there are vacancies and shared hangars available.

As a comment, I had a port a port years ago before getting the old county hangar I'm in now. I was able to caulk and fill the gaps around the edges to reduce the amount of water coming in but they are still junk. I've seen people nail 2x2s into the asphalt and coat with roofing goop to create dams along the sides and rear too.

regards-
Tim

Back