What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting ignition unit in a 7

shiney

Well Known Member
Has anyone any good suggestions for the best place to mount my ignition unit?

lightspeedvs8.jpg

This worked.

This was mounted utilizing screws and nylocks. Others ways would be easier for R&R.

Good luck.
David

2lrmes.jpg

platenuts

I added platenuts to the flanges of the ignition module for easier removal in the event that service is required. I'm probably also going to change out the screws on the serial connectors with the kind that allow hand twisting.

Don

Don is right on the mark.

I also used thumb screws on the connecters where possible. Not a big deal until you put the top skin on! Then you'll be happy you did.

David

I put a hinged shelf in the same general location. The hinge is on the firewall angle and I've got 3 nutplates on the sub-panel.

I have other components mounted on the ribs, so I needed to create some extra real estate behind the panel.

This is mine:
DSC01274.jpg

It's a great location with one small caveat: due to my lack of foresight I located the boxes on the top side of those angles, making it difficult to work on them or remove them once the top skin was in place. I'd use the location again, but I'd turn the aft angle around and mount the boxes on the bottom side so I could just unscrew them and drop them down.

Back