What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right there...in the middle of my pancakes.

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
(This is a copy of what I typed on the front page of the VAF site on 12.10.08. Duplicated here for possible motivational value...or not.) :)

Wed 12.10.08 1215Z

As the west coast folks were rolling out of bed Tuesday morning, I was rolling my trusty RV-6 'Flash'. The day started like most weekdays, with me waking up at 0555, getting the website pushed out and helping get the kiddos to school. After dropping Tate off I sometimes head over to McDonald's for some McPancakes, which I did this fine day. While enjoying my breakfast and a newspaper someone had left behind, I happened to look up at the trees in the parking lot. No wind at all and sunshine. I think you know where I'm going with this...

The night before, the weatherdude said it would be windy Tuesday, gusting in fact as a cold front and clouds passed through the area around mid-day. I had assumed there would be no flying and didn't consider it. But around 0745, as I finished up my McFood, the neighborhood was severe clear, 60*F and calm. See where I'm going with this...

I drove the few blocks back home, got my sunglasses and camera, and motored out to 52F in 18 minutes. Wiped the bugs off the canopy that had been smashed into place 13 days prior (my last flight), then launched off a still wet runway 35 (storms the night before). Calm surface winds for now...for the time being at least.

About 500' AGL I passed through the shear line. It was the cold front they had forecast, the winds just weren't down to the surface yet. It was a bit bumpy, but the horizon was razor sharp, the morning light was nice, the air was thick and my RV felt like flying...so I let it. We turned to the east and passed along Chuck Norris' house on the shore of Lake Grapevine (being very careful to stay out of roundhouse kicking range). Then I made 'Good Morning!' passes at 1,000' agl over the usual waypoints: Ken's house, Scott's, Melanie's, the middle and elementary schools, our home, Joe's and a few more. The Whole Smash.

On the return flight to 52F I tuned into nearby Alliance airport and got the good word on the special wind ATIS recording they had just gone live with. Winds 280 at 21 gusting 30. Eighty degree crosswind at 21kts. Oh joy. I reported in on CTAF and que'd up in front of two sluggers returning from radio traffic duty. Crossed midfield at 1,200' agl, verified Monkey's truck was parked in front of his hangar, pumped the brakes on downwind to check they were working, and grinned as the tail weathervaned quite a bit from an unfriendly crosswind. Game on! I elected to go with half flaps and wheeled it on about five knots faster than usual. Wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been (the hangars at 52F sometimes cause unpredictable swirls when the wind is from the west). The highlight, and for me the most challenging part, was getting to ride on the upwind wheel for about 200 feet as the speed decayed - counted to 'four potato' in my head before the right wheel finally touched down. Those few seconds made the drive out and back worth it.

After I got Flash stowed away I drove over to Monk's shop to say hey. After a short visit I was back on the road for home and in the office typing away shortly thereafter. Before most folks in California, Oregon and Washington were in their offices I had taken my RV out for a walk and was back home writing this. As I pulled into the driveway, the winds were firmly at the surface, with temps on their way to the mid 30's (by sundown). An empty trashcan was rolling down the street in front of our house. I got to fly my RV! It's a good day.

Right there in the middle of pancakes, with nothing more than a short glance up from the paper, I decided to go to the airport and commit aviation. And because I'm fortunate enough to have an RV bridled up and ready to go, I can do it when the weather gods choose to smile and the mood strikes me. Thirteen minutes on the Hobbs, maybe $5 in avgas and a wheel landing for the memory bank made for a fine winter day in the Lone Star State. Thanks again Van! File under 'Keep Pounding Those Rivets.'

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

b,
dr

[I

Right there in the middle of pancakes, with nothing more than a short glance up from the paper, I decided to go to the airport and commit aviation. dr

Doug,

This is possibly the single best line that has ever been written on this site. That might even go back to the Yahoo days as well. Having just finished my annual conditon inspection I also plan to commit aviation this morning. What you stated here is what somebody with an airplane partnership or who rents will likely never get to experience. Not needing to check or ask anybody, just being able to go and fly. That is the greatest freedom. It could only be better by living with your plane at a nice airpark. Sadly, none in our area.

Last edited:
Back