What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine choices

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I went for a test ride in an RV-10 out in Aurora this summer after sitting in the static display at OSH. It is a very impressive plane and I'm starting to look into the prospect of building! I know that the two demo models have Continental and Lycoming engines and the kit identifies a range of engine horsepower.

In practice, what is the range of engines, pros and cons, that could comfortably be used in this airplane? I am assuming it would have to fit some set of engine mounts but don't know that much about airplane engines - beyond the preflight examination :)

What is the best performance to economy compromise in selecting an engine for the RV-10?

I'd stay away from the Continental IO-360. The Lycoming isn't quite as smooth as the Continental, but the Lycoming is a longer lasting engine. If someone makes up a mount for the Continetal IO-470 (260HP, like a Cessna 310 Engine) It'd be a pretty durn nice engine for the airplane. They run very nice with the McCauley 2-blade without the WHOP sound that the lyc makes ;). There are also a ton of them around from Bonanza's that have upgraded to the IO520 or 550.

why?

>I'd stay away from the Continental IO-360.

Why? What is your rationale for this statement?

You would put that ancient boat anchor IO-470 in and turn you RV-10 into a nose heavy lawn dart but you would stay away from the IO-360? Please explain? The IO-360 is lighter, more efficient, more modern so why? This whole discussion is academic anyway since it does not look like Vans will offer the IO-360 anytime soon. The have said however that they will NEVER support the IO-470.

w1curtis said:

You would put that ancient boat anchor IO-470 in and turn you RV-10 into a nose heavy lawn dart but you would stay away from the IO-360? Please explain? The IO-360 is lighter, more efficient, more modern so why? This whole discussion is academic anyway since it does not look like Vans will offer the IO-360 anytime soon. The have said however that they will NEVER support the IO-470.

William, Since Van's built the second RV-10 with an IO-360 it would seem that they will support it! Don't know if the finishing kit is available for it yet.

Rotary10-RV

>Since Van's built the second RV-10 with an IO-360 it would seem that they will support it! Don't know if the finishing kit is available for it yet.
You need to go back and re-read what I wrote. I did not say Van's won't support the IO-360, I said that they won't support the IO-470.

w1curtis said:
You need to go back and re-read what I wrote. I did not say Van's won't support the IO-360, I said that they won't support the IO-470.
William, I wasn't getting on you, just providing information. The line of your statement that was worrisome was, "It's all academic any way since Vans won't be offering the IO-360 any time soon." Perhaps you simply mis-typed IO-360 when you meant IO-470. I do this sort of thing a lot as I am a really poor typist. I get thinking ahead of my fingers and loose control. I'm sure you meant the 470.
Bill Jepson
Rotary10-RV

providing information

Bill,

OK, let me try one more time. I did not mis-type. While the #2 RV-10 uses the Continental IO-360, as a result of a builder poll, they will most likely NOT follow through on providing a firewall forward kit (support) anytime soon. It seems most builders are opting for the IO-540 and so they will not expend the tooling effort to support the Continental IO-360. They have also unequivocally stated that they DO NOT intend to support the Continental IO-470. It's too heavy for the RV-10 frame. If you are a -10 builder, you would have received the poll and should have seen the published results and commentary in the RVAviator.

Personally I like the Continental IO-360 and would have gone that route if Vans was going to offer it. It and the IO-550 are arguable the most modern certified aircraft engines produced.

w1curtis said:

You would put that ancient boat anchor IO-470 in and turn you RV-10 into a nose heavy lawn dart but you would stay away from the IO-360?

Well, ignoring the weight issue (which I did not research ahead of time) the IO-470 is a much more reliable engine.

Please explain? The IO-360 is lighter, more efficient, more modern so why?

Just because the engine specs appear to be "better" does not make it so. As far as RV's go i'm a newbee, but I'm an A&P and see engines day in and day out. The Continental IO-360 series in their normal aspriated trim are know as "rod tossers" as installed in the Cessna 172XP. They also have a very nasty habit of retaining water. Which leads to rust, a LOT of rust. One of our customers with a TC Dakota had a lifter RUST IN PLACE after a couple months of inactivity. The typical Continental tendancy to lose compression mid-life still exsists and, at least for the turbo installations on Senecas and TC Dakotas/Arrows, they burn/leak oil at an alarming rate as they near TBO.

One of our customers with a Mooney 231 leaves his oil cap off after every flight so that the water will evaporate out of the engine, and that helps some. But seriously, the only way you could make this engine less attractive to is to put a gearbox on it, that would truely be a disaster waiting to happen.

These are not isolated incidents. It's a troubled design. The IO-550 on the other hand, has had alot greater sucess. But if you think these engines are "modern" just because they have balanced inductions systems, keep in mind that the most reliable engines out there are still the 20+ year old Lycoming designs such ans the O-320-E2D, O-360-A1A, and the TIO-540 from the Cheiftains. Many of those 350HP 540's get run to 2400hr's on TBO extensions by Part 121 operators. I don't know the SFC numbers to compare, but I can promise you that they are not worth the hassle that the Contiental would give you.

w1curtis said:
Bill,

OK, let me try one more time. I did not mis-type. While the #2 RV-10 uses the Continental IO-360, as a result of a builder poll, they will most likely NOT follow through on providing a firewall forward kit (support) anytime soon. It seems most builders are opting for the IO-540 and so they will not expend the tooling effort to support the Continental IO-360. They have also unequivocally stated that they DO NOT intend to support the Continental IO-470. It's too heavy for the RV-10 frame. If you are a -10 builder, you would have received the poll and should have seen the published results and commentary in the RVAviator.

Personally I like the Continental IO-360 and would have gone that route if Vans was going to offer it. It and the IO-550 are arguable the most modern certified aircraft engines produced.

Ok William I got it,
Strange as I didn't get the questionare on the engine choices. Perhaps you need to have ordered the fuselage or finishing kits to have been included? I'm one of the first kits paid for at #41, (they saved a block of numbers for the expected orders from Oshkosh and #44 was the first kit actually shipped). I have only bought the empecone and wing kits so far however. I let my Rvator sub lapse, I need to restart that.
Bill Jepson

which IO-360 are you taking about?

osxuser said:
Just because the engine specs appear to be "better" does not make it so. As far as RV's go i'm a newbee, but I'm an A&P and see engines day in and day out. The Continental IO-360 series in their normal aspriated trim are know as "rod tossers" as installed in the Cessna 172XP.

These are not isolated incidents. It's a troubled design. The IO-550 on the other hand, has had alot greater sucess. But if you think these engines are "modern" just because they have balanced inductions systems, keep in mind that the most reliable engines out there are still the 20+ year old Lycoming designs such ans the O-320-E2D, O-360-A1A, and the TIO-540 from the Cheiftains. Many of those 350HP 540's get run to 2400hr's on TBO extensions by Part 121 operators. I don't know the SFC numbers to compare, but I can promise you that they are not worth the hassle that the Contiental would give you.
Well, that's a little scary, but as an A&P I guess I would expect you to know that Continental makes more than one IO-360. The IO-360 that Vans uses in the #2 RV-10 is the IO-360ES series, currently used only on the Lancair ES and the Cirrus SR-20. The IO-360 YOU are referring to is the IO-360K series used on the Hawk XP. These are two TOTALLY different engines. The K series is as ancient as the IO-470s while the ES is the same modern crossflow design as the IO-550N series. Before we condemn something, let's make sure we are talking about the same something.

Give me a break... The INTAKE MANIFOLD IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE!

Your "Modern engine" just looks cooler, it doesn't even put out more HP than the IO-360 in the 172XP. Which puts out a max of 210. Both engines have crossflow cylinders. The Intake manifold on the ES is an equal length intake manifold with crossflow cylinders. The K is an log intake manifold with crossflow cylinders.

osxuser said:
Give me a break... The INTAKE MANIFOLD IS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE!

Your "Modern engine" just looks cooler, it doesn't even put out more HP than the IO-360 in the 172XP. Which puts out a max of 210.
More horsepower doesn't make an engine more modern, efficiency and reliability does. The "look" is more than skin deep. The TBO on the ES series is 2000 hours as opposed to 1500 on the J, K series. Again, two totally different engine. The ES series has intake on top exhaust on the bottom, crossflow. The J, K series has both intake and exhaust on the bottom, not crossflow.
io-360es.jpg

io-360k.jpg

william,

i'm gonna have to prove you wrong here. i have a 172XP with the IO-360-K in it, and i have pictures. the intake is ON TOP and exhaust is on the bottom, just like the ES engine.

IO_360_K_004w.jpg

IO_360_K_002w.jpg

IO_360_K_003w.jpg

hope this clears things up a bit. :)

Last edited:
the picture you have posted under the ES engine is not a K. the valve covers are wrong for the 360, and the oil cooler is in the wrong spot.

Last edited:
Oh my god, I'm sorry dude, but your delusional. The second engine you have pictured is an O-470 out of a 182 (Note the lack of FI spyder on the top). Thank you for the pictures C, 1000 words.

This is hysterical. I know engines, the TBO on the is 1500 on the K, but the updated KB (In the later 172XP's) has the same 2000 HR TBO. I'm sorry dude, but your "modern" engine is straight out of the 1970's just like all the others. The Mooney 231 even had the equal length intake on it's turbo'd version.

From that PDF basically we get that the ES is wound tighter for 210HP. There is an STC for the K/KB to accomplish the same for 5min takeoff. 2800rpm VS. 2600 RPM. Still the same basic engine. And the later KB has the 2000hr TBO. The ES is lighter for some reason. Either way, ask anyone who knows, A Lycoming will outlast these engines by 400+hrs.

Personally, I totally don't have any sort of reasonable grasp on the different Lycoming/Continental/Lycosauraus engine designations. Jeez....I'm an engineer for Heaven's sake, and all of this stuff is totally assinine to me and makes absolutely no sense.

I wish there was some reference somewhere for the exact differences between all these different engines.

Here's one thing I DO know, though. Whatever engine you put in any RV, the thing's gonna go FAST. More HP = better climb with a constant speed prop. More HP does doesn't have a huge relationship with cruise speed vs. fuel consumption (maybe some relationship....from all the posts I've been reading, results are inconclusive at best. Dan Checkoway's RV is a total anomolly. His efficiency is ridiculous, and God only knows why). In general, whether you have a cruise prop, or a CS you're gonna burn approximately the same gallons/hour @ a given speed regardless of engine (save rotaries...they burn a little more....I'm not sure why). But whatever....you go on a 3000 mile coast to coast trip, and some other RV guy gets there a couple of hours before you do....or vice versa......big flippin' deal.

Personally, if I were building an RV-10 I would try to get my hands on a Lyc. IO-540 core, and have it overhauled before IO-540 prices skyrocket like IO-360 prices have (between the RV-10 and the Bearhawk, IO-540's are bound to become as scarce as IO-360A1A's pretty soon).

my totally uninformed and absolutely ridiculous and useless $.02.

jcoloccia said:
But whatever....you go on a 3000 mile coast to coast trip, and some other RV guy gets there a couple of hours before you do....or vice versa......big flippin' deal.
Funny! I think we all have this obsession with flying and being airborne, and yet we want to get to our destination as fast as we can to be earthbound.

Mark

IO-360 or IO-360

I stand corrected on the configuration of the -K engine. I must admit while I was very familiar with the IO-360ES, I was not as familiar with the J, K engines. I still submit that they are very different engines, even if they look similar.

I've put up a page of "standard" RV-10 engine choices at the following link:http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/20Engine/

w1curtis said:
I stand corrected on the configuration of the -K engine. I must admit while I was very familiar with the IO-360ES, I was not as familiar with the J, K engines. I still submit that they are very different engines, even if they look similar.

I've put up a page of "standard" RV-10 engine choices at the following link:http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/20Engine/

Nice link, but no real data. I'd like to think Continental has improved their design, but I highly doubt it. Again a good engine on paper, but in the real world they suck. If you have any evidence that the ES is a totally new design, now would be a good time to prove it, but I'd put big money on it being the same basic design as the KB.

And by the way, to get the 210HP they have to spin it up to 2800RPM which most props can't handle for more than 5min (takeoff power).

If you really want 210Hp on a RV10 why don't you consider a IO-390X? Standard max continuous HP is 210, and with tuning I'm sure it could produce more. Also it has "modern" features such as roller tappets and the like :).

Engine sizes

When measuring for power of any engine, the dynomometer is only measuring torque (HP= torquexdistancextime). the engine is producing torque, not horse power. Horsepower is simply how fast torque is developed.
With out getting overboard with numbers, torque in any engine is directly related to size. 360 cubic inched is capable of 1 FT/LB of torque per inch, just like the 540 is capable of the same.
The RV 10 grosses art 2700# with the 360 pulls 7.5#/C.I, with the 540, 5#/C.I.. The little engine will work harder, will not crise or deliver the top speed and will use nearly as much fuel. In long terns, it will not last as long as the larger engine.
The other question that come to mind, why build a high performance aircraft, and install a small engine?

Any size will fit

I think the (I)O-360 and (I)O-390X will become a Van option for the RV-10 and here is why.

I am a big believer in going with Van's recommendation and building RV's more or less to plans, especially in the engine / prop area. Keeping it light and simple is a good way to go. Right now the Lyc 540 is the only choice in my opinion based on the fact that is the only engine Van supports right now, but that will change.

However as just an observation, Piper made the Comanche with 3 engine sizes. Basically the same airframe but with three engines:
O-360 180HP 4 Cyl
O-540 250 HP 6 Cyl
O-720 400 HP 8 Cyl

The Comanche of any HP is a fine plane. If Van offers a mount for XYZ engine, small, medium or large, than it is builder?s choice. The engines will all have pros and cons, original purchase price not being the least of which. If you go with a "custom" engine, expect it will take a considerable amount of extra time and effort, plus a healthy amount of cash. Remember the FIVE forces that are involved in all flight:

Lift, Thrust, Drag, Gravity and LOTS OF MONEY.

I am not building -10, but I know from my other RV projects Van suggests engines and supports only those engine models with parts. Van calls for a 200-260 HP plus range engine, which will propel the RV-10 thru the sky very well. The differnce in top speed between 210 and 260 HP is only about 11 MPH. Climb rate will take the biggest hit and it will be about 500 fpm less with the smaller engine. Still the climb rate with a 210 HP engine can achieve up to 1400 fpm climb rates, exceeding most factory planes by a good margin even at gross weight.

The old statement, "You can't have too much HP", is always true within reasonable limits, and yes you can throttle back, fly high and lean to get better MPG's with a large engine, while having the HP in reserve, for more get-up-n-go when needed. Engine Brand, reliability and purchase cost and availability all figure in to the equation of course and is a major driver.

Right now Van only offers a 540 Lyc engine mount, right? It is a good available engine. The 540 is just a 180HP O360 Lycoming with two more identical jugs.

The big 6-Jug Contenential's where considered, but they where not a good fit according to Van; it had something to do with induction location and may be the cradle mount. The small 360 cu-in Contenential was an option Van talked about in the 210 HP range. I am not a fan of this engine, espeically the fixed waste gate turbo normiizing version. They are OK but have a bad reputaion, some (not all) deseved. There are fixes, work arounds and knowlageable operating procedures that midagate the negatives of the small Cont'l, but they are not real available. I also think very expensive to buy new. I would think the Lyc IO-390X would be a better choice. Even the (I)O-360 200 HP would be OK. Van's 210 HP lower HP limit is somewhat arbitrary. Performance will not be an issue with 200 HP. As far as CG there are work arounds, not difficult to solve. There are plenty of 4 place aircraft that weight more than a RV-10 flying around.

Other factory engines in the 200-260 HP range? Besides auto based alternative engines, not much. I think the (I)O-540 will be the preferred engine by Van and builder's. With that said you will have more support and bolt on parts.

As I first stated, my suggestion is keep to plans, light and simple. Going on your own will cost lots of time, effort and no doubt expense, to blaze your own trail.

I predict the (I)O-390X and even the (I)O-360 will become a popular choice and Van will sooner or later make a mount and components available for the RV-10. The nice part is with the 4-banger Lyc you will have lots of room behind the engine, because the engine mount will extend further out to put the CG in the same place as the 6-banger.

George

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
I think the (I)O-360 and (I)O-390X will become a Van option for the RV-10 and here is why.

I predict the (I)O-390X and even the (I)O-360 will become a popular choice and Van will sooner or later make a mount and components available for the RV-10. The nice part is with the 4-banger Lyc you will have lots of room behind the engine, because the engine mount will extend further out to put the CG in the same place as the 6-banger.

George

It is not likely to ever happen.
The four cyl engines are just too light. In an RV-10, the 4 cyl engine would have to be mounted in the airplane with the prop farther fwd than it is with the 6 cyl engines, even with the battery moved up to the firewall (which by th way was required for the Cont. IO-360 installaton). This would require a whole new cowl etc.
And please don't reopen the issue of... but the RV-10 is already nose heavy as it is. It is not anymore than any other high performance 4 place.

Scott

I'm sorry, but it's still a good option IMHO. there is always a nice harzell 3-blade and/or ballest to get the CG where you want it!

rvbuilder2002 said:
It is not likely to ever happen.
The four cyl engines are just too light. In an RV-10, the 4 cyl engine would have to be mounted in the airplane with the prop farther fwd than it is with the 6 cyl engines, even with the battery moved up to the firewall (which by th way was required for the Cont. IO-360 installaton). This would require a whole new cowl etc.
...Scott
Ever is a long time. You seem to have a hand on the pulse of Van's, though you have obviously not looked at an RV-10 W&B. How then is 220RV flying around with an equally "light" (305 pounds) engine?

w1curtis said:
Ever is a long time. You seem to have a hand on the pulse of Van's, though you have obviously not looked at an RV-10 W&B. How then is 220RV flying around with an equally "light" (305 pounds) engine?

I am not sure where you got the 305 Lbs. I think the weight is closer to 350 Lbs. with all accessories, but I can't remember.
I work in the prototype shop at Van's and built a good portion of N410RV and N220RV.
I have flown both. N220RV has a reduced baggage area weight capability (with a comparable passenger load) because it has a further aft empty weight C.G. position as a result of the lighter engine. It also has a much lower demonstrated service ceiling of approx. 13K ft. (I don't know if the absolute service ceiling has been verified or not) as a result of the 210 HP. This is with an empty weight about 100 lbs less than N410RV.
It's true you could use a very heavy prop and add other ballast as needed to get a good empty C.G. position but then you would probably have an empty weight near what the 6 cyl airplanes have, but with less HP available. I'm sure we can all agree that would not be a good thing.
The RV-10 was designed to be able to haul four adults and a reasonable amount of baggage with a full fuel load, while providing perfomance #'s similar to the two seat RV's and still maintain a reasonable C.G. position for the duration of the flight. If you choose to use a smaller engine you will be limited as far as the utility and payload capabilitys of the airplane go.
A survey of RV-10 builders showed that only a few were even interested in the 6 Cyl Continental, which is the reason for the decision to not market a firewall fwd kit for it at this time.

Scott McDaniels

Standard disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions or viewpoints of my employer

rvbuilder2002 said:
I am not sure where you got the 305 Lbs. I think the weight is closer to 350 Lbs. with all accessories, but I can't remember.
I work in the prototype shop at Van's and built a good portion of N410RV and N220RV...

This is with an empty weight about 100 lbs less than N410RV.
It's true you could use a very heavy prop and add other ballast as needed to get a good empty C.G. position but then you would probably have an empty weight near what the 6 cyl airplanes have, but with less HP available.

Scott McDaniels

Standard disclaimer: These opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions or viewpoints of my employer
Uh, Continental. The Continental has a dry weight of 305 pounds, the IO-540 dry weight is 381 pounds. The dry weight of the IO-390 will probably be in the area of about 300 pounds.

I'm guessing that even though you work in the prototype shop at Van's, you are not an engineer. No engineer would recommend adding weight via heavier components or state that 80 extra pounds on the nose won't make much of a difference in performance or efficiency.

If you ARE an engineer then refresh our memories on the cube root of power. Tell us all how much speed difference we should see between 210 and 260HP (19%HP difference, 11 mph?). Then assume we throttle back our 540 to 210 HP for efficiency; tell us how the additional 80 pounds on the nose that have to be counteracted by additional lift on the wing and additional negative lift on the elevators contribute to drag. Then convince us that the heavier engine operating at the same power, producing more drag is just as efficient as a lighter engine.

w1curtis said:
Uh, Continental. The Continental has a dry weight of 305 pounds, the IO-540 dry weight is 381 pounds. The dry weight of the IO-390 will probably be in the area of about 300 pounds.

I'm guessing that even though you work in the prototype shop at Van's, you are not an engineer. No engineer would recommend adding weight via heavier components or state that 80 extra pounds on the nose won't make much of a difference in performance or efficiency.

If you ARE an engineer then refresh our memories on the cube root of power. Tell us all how much speed difference we should see between 210 and 260HP (19%HP difference, 11 mph?). Then assume we throttle back our 540 to 210 HP for efficiency; tell us how the additional 80 pounds on the nose that have to be counteracted by additional lift on the wing and additional negative lift on the elevators contribute to drag. Then convince us that the heavier engine operating at the same power, producing more drag is just as efficient as a lighter engine.

Whoa William
Don't get so frazzled.

You put what ever engine in your RV-10 that you want,

but I really don't like it when people speak for me and say things I never said.

Where did I say anything about efficiency comparisons between a smaller engine and the IO-540?

Where did I recommend to add weight? Re read the post. I did just the opposite. I said you "could" do that to counter the W & B issues but that the last thing you want to do is add weight to an airplane that you are using a smaller HP engine in.

Where did I state that 80 extra lbs on the nose would not have an effect on efficiency?

I also never mentioned anything about what the speed difference would be between the largest recommended and the smallest recommended engines.

And finally... I never said that a bigger engine throttled back to the same power will be as efficient as a smaller one.

Once again to make it clear...What I did say was that the airplane was designed around an engine the weight of the 6 cyl Lyc.

A Cont. IO-360 was also tried, but that it does have a reduced usable C.G. range and a service ceiling reduced to 13 to 14 K ft.
A standard RG 25 battery is mounted on the fwd side of the firewall instead of in the fwd tailcone area to help counter the reduced weight of the engine.

This proved that the IO-360 Cont is a viable option if you so choose, but Van's has decided not to support it with kit parts because there was very little interest in it from RV-10 builders.

I think it would be a big mistake for any RV-10 builder to assume that since Cont, claims that there engine weighs 305 lbs that you could use any enigne that is close to that weight. I know for a fact it weighs more than 305...yea sometimes they fib a bit.

As for your guess... your right I am not an engineer but I don't see how that matters.

What does seem to matter to you is if someone presents a view that is contrary to the one you have chosen. I apologize for making you feel that way.

The only reason I occasionaly even view posts in these forums is to help builders out; or in this case maybe prevent someone from making a decision based only on what other experts on an internet discussion group have to say about a particular subject.

Scott

These opinions are my own and may not represent the views or opinions of my employer.

rvbuilder2002 said:
Whoa William
Don't get so frazzled.
Nope, not frazzled and we were not talking about the Continental IO-360. I made reference to the weight since the Lycoming IO-390 is about the same weight. I think most folks have given up on the Continental IO-360. You were deterring folks from looking at the LIGHTER Lycoming IO-390 because it was TOO LIGHT and that is what I find objection to. If someone wants to give up a little climb performance, cruise speed and ceiling for a 20% less fuel burn and a lot less expensive engine then why are you so opposed to it.

w1curtis said:
Nope, not frazzled and we were not talking about the Continental IO-360. I made reference to the weight since the Lycoming IO-390 is about the same weight. I think most folks have given up on the Continental IO-360. You were deterring folks from looking at the LIGHTER Lycoming IO-390 because it was TOO LIGHT and that is what I find objection to. If someone wants to give up a little climb performance, cruise speed and ceiling for a 20% less fuel burn and a lot less expensive engine then why are you so opposed to it.

I am opposed to using engines that require major modifications to make the weight and balance work. Because most builders have no idea what they would be getting themselves into if modifications ended up being required.

I believe it is a mistake to assume the IO-390 will work just because you read on a web site that the weight is about the same as the Cont. With all accessories installed the Cont. is not that light. If you asked Van tomorrow (he's the one that is an engineer :)... can I use a Lycoming IO-360 angle valve engine if I am willing to except the performance of only having 200 HP? I know that his answer would be "no". "It is too light".

The Lyc. IO-360 angle valve engine weighs about 340 lbs.

If you decide to use a IO-390, I will be interested to see how the W&B works out. It's always posible that I am wrong, but I think you are going to have to either move the engine or use ballast, which to me seems to kind of defeat the purpose.

Scott

Wow numbers please

I did not mean to start a s-storm; Thanks for those who supported my opinion that the IO-390X would be a good 210 HP engine from a technical standpoint, which I still do.

Scott?s contention is the market demand is not there, is no doubt a fact. To be clear I do think the 540 is a better (best) engine for the dash 10. It is hard to argue with more HP and weight that keeps the empty CG in a desirable location without ballast. Pilots want more HP, No really they do.

Who knows what Van will do, but Van bases his moves on business and market demand, ok. That does not make the IO390X a poor theoretical match or fit to the RV-10. The 540 is granted just a better fit.

I am guessing that it's likely the only engine Van will support for sometime. People want 250/260 HP, so the argument about whether an IO390X is a good choice is academic at this point. Just for fun and grins I?ll make some SWAG's (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses).

Looking at the cost of an IO-390X and an IO-540, the difference is $6K to $7K, so the incentive to use an IO-390X may not be as great. After you factor in all the other items the 540 may cost $8K-$9K more?

For fun running some rough numbers, I think the CG/weight issue is not hard to solve, as I try to show below :eek:

(Super Secret calculations, Don't tell any one)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My numbers may be off, but an IO390X with a 20lb heaver 3-blade prop will keep the CG about the same as a 540 with a light 2-blade prop. Not having exact dimensions I made some SWAGS.

We will look at equivalent moments at the firewall, which is the arbitrary datum.

A 3-blade Hartzell (cool scimitar style) is 75lbs; a 2-bladed is 55lbs and a MT is 43 lb. Assume the prop CG is about 45 inches forward of the firewall. The total moment increase with the heavy prop:

45" x (75-55)lb = 900 in-lbs

(The exact arm is not critical and is used throughout, so it somewhat washes out. Again this is not rocket science for a moon shot but just an example).

Now the engine: Assume the IO-390X is *310 lbs and a (I)O540 about 374 lbs.
(Ref. Lycoming 540 weights from Lycoming)

The difference is 44 lbs. Because the IO-390X CG will be forward of the 540's CG, say 2", we can calculate a difference in moment at the firewall:

540: 45"/2 x 374 lb = 8415 in-lb
390: (45"/2 + 2") x 310 lb = 7595 in-lb

(Note: the 2" fwd CG shift of the IO390X is a SWAG, but it should be at least this far forward of the 540, if not more. The 390X is cantilevered further out from the firewall by the engine mount, accounting for a shorter engine length. In the end the engine crank/prop flange is at the same station.)

So the IO360X has 820 in-lb less moment, BUT our heavy prop gave us 900 in-lb more moment. Therefore we have forward CG with the heavy prop and IO-390X combo!!! :D The total weight of the IO390X is 385 lbs, the (I)O540 is 429 lbs, so we are 44 lbs lighter with the IO390X. All good except the prop cost $2K more.

May be instead of an expensive prop we could use 20lbs of lead? We might get away with a heavy starter and alternator and keep a 2-bladed prop with a little ballast? From these rough numbers 20 lbs mass / ballast on the nose if the engine (under the case behind the flywheel) is all that is needed. Even if it was, 23 lbs or 30 lbs lead ballast, the IO390X combo is lighter.

The true engineering solution would be move the IO390 prop crank flange further forward than the 540 and make a longer cowl. Than you could use the less expensive and lighter 2-blade prop with no ballast. However this would no doubt be unacceptable to Van, due to the need to make and stock a different (longer) cowl. Van would not do it unless the demand was there, which I don't think will happen as long as 540's can be found for cheap. Cheap in aviation terms at least.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Van did make this option it would Open the whole world of 200hp, 180hp, 160hp engines up. Shoot, what about a Grumman Traveler, Cheata and Tiger, C-172, Piper Cherokee all have HP ranging from 140 HP to 180. Well the numbers are lame for these planes. Well than look at the Hi-Perf 4-place retracts with 180-260hp engines (Bonanza, Mooney, Piper Comanche). Look at the specs of 4-place retracts with like gross/hp as a RV-10 the RV-10 compaires very well. Of course many of these factory planes are very old or very expensive. Maintenance and fun to fly are factors in favor of the RV-10 even with a 210 HP engine. With 210 HP the RV-10 matches or bests most retracts with like or even greater HP in almost every catagory: range, payload and speed.

Lets be real, you don't need 260hp to slipped the surly bonds of earth. May be Van should look into little engines? Naw, it is too fun passing Mooney's and Bonanza's with the gear hanging out.[/U]

Van "The man" himself designed the RV-10 for 210 HP, so why not. Well you answered that, people don't want it. It is not a surprise pilots want more HP. However from a pure technical standpoint the IO360X is a reasonable consideration and do-able, market demand not withstanding.

Your post states the design is to match RV 2-seat models. What 2-seat RV are we talking about? A 150 HP RV-6 with a fixed wood cruise prop *OR* a 200HP RV-8 with c/s prop? Even with a 260 HP engine, the RV-10 does not match a high end RV 2-hole'ers, even close.

Scott: "If you choose to use a smaller engine you will be limited as far as the utility and payload capabilities of the airplane go."

Even the RV-7 with an light O320 and wood prop cannot carry the full 100 lbs in the baggage compartment due to aft CG. In fact with a passenger you can't even carry 20 lbs. I understand your point, but compromise is a fact in any plane.

If Van or the market deems the RV-10 shall have 2-seat RV like performance, than a 260 HP IO540 is the only engine. Less HP of course is less performance at similar weights. Doha! Physics bite ya in the butt again.

Thanks
George

Last edited:
You also should consider the continued maintence costs of the 6-cylinder vs. the 4 banger. The Sixes have a nasty tendancy to eat up rear cylinders and shock cooling is a much bigger issue with them. The Lycoming 4-banger is probably 2/3's the cost of the six to maintain (which kinda makes sense).

gmcjetpilot said:
Looking at the cost of an IO-390X and an IO-540, the difference is $6K to $7K, so the incentive to use an IO-390X may not be as great. After you factor in all the other items the 540 may cost $8K-$9K more?

May be instead of an expensive prop we could use 20lbs of lead? We might get away with a heavy starter and alternator and keep a 2-bladed prop with a little ballast? From these rough numbers 20 lbs mass / ballast on the nose if the engine (under the case behind the flywheel) is all that is needed. Even if it was, 23 lbs or 30 lbs lead ballast, the IO390X combo is lighter.

The true engineering solution would be move the IO390 prop crank flange further forward than the 540 and make a longer cowl. Than you could use the less expensive and lighter 2-blade prop with no ballast. However this would no doubt be unacceptable to Van, due to the need to make and stock a different (longer) cowl. Van would not do it unless the demand was there, which I don't think will happen as long as 540's can be found for cheap. Cheap in aviation terms at least.

Even the RV-7 with an light O320 and wood prop cannot carry the full 100 lbs in the baggage compartment due to aft CG. In fact with a passenger you can't even carry 20 lbs. I understand your point, but compromise is a fact in any plane.

Less HP of course is less performance at similar weights. Doha! Physics bite ya in the butt again.

Thanks
George
gmcjetpilot said:
Further looking at the cost of an IO-390X and an IO-540, the difference is $6K to $7K, so the incentive to use an IO-390X may not be as great.
- - - - - - - - -
It looks even less geat after you figure in a more expensive prop. to try and get the C.G. where it should be.
- - - - - - - - -
(Note: the 2" fwd CG shift of the IO390X is a SWAG, but it should be at least this far forward of the 540, if not more. The 390X is cantilevered further out from the firewall by the engine mount to account for the shorter engine length. In the end the engine crank prop flange is at the same station.)

So the IO360X has 820 in-lb less moment. Well our heavy prop gave us 900 in-lb more moment. Therefore we have forward CG with the heavy prop and IO-390X combo!!! :D The total weight of the IO390X is 385 lbs and the (I)O540 is 429 lbs, so we are 44 lbs lighter with the IO390X. All good.

May be instead of an expensive prop we could use 20lbs of lead? We might get away with a heavy starter and alternator and keep a 2-bladed prop with a little ballast? From these rough numbers 20 lbs mass / ballast on the nose if the engine (just under the case behind the flywheel) is all that is needed. Even if it was, 23 lbs or 30 lbs lead ballast, the IO390X would still be lighter.

No disrespect to you Scott but the way you wrote it seemed to imply performance with the IO380X would be sub par. To paraphrase you, "less HP is not a good thing".
- - - - - - - - -
Since par stands for a benchmark standard, what I said was true in the context that you are using. The performance would be sub par compared to an O-540 powered RV-10.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Scott, you talk about limited. What limitation, besides the obvious reduction in cruise and climb. I think we see the CG issue is not really that big of a deal. Do you have some numbers? The biggest limit I think you imply is the aft CG and useful baggage with 4 folks, right? OK, well many 4-place planes cannot filler-up, load 4 butts with full bags and blast off.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
So why compromise and have your RV-10 be like other airplanes???
This is the weakest excuse I have heard for putting a smaller engine in an RV-10.

- - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
How about staying with apples/ apple comparisons...is anyone likely to build an RV-10 with a wood prop.?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Less HP of course is less performance at similar weights. Doha! Physics bite ya in the butt again.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That statement seems to say the same thing I have already said...maybe you agree with me after all. :)

This final statement is for anyone else following this thread, that is truely interested in the realitys of using engines outside of what is recommended...

The whole story is much bigger than just getting an exceptable empty C.G. location. There are other issues to consider, moment of "inertia" being one of them.
Using your logic and suggested use of a heavier prop. or even adding Lead, we could install a 250 lb. engine on the front and just use a heavier prop and some lead. This would have an effect on the moment of inertia on the front of the airplane. Messing with this can effect yaw and pitch stability and have a major impact on spin and spin recovery caracteristics.
Moving the engine even farther fwd and extending the cowl as you suggest would at first seem better because you don't need to add lead, but it is probably even a worse choice because it would probably increase the moment of inertia even more.

Anyone considering moving heavy components (or adding lead!) toward the extream fwd or aft end of an airplane, to get an exceptable C.G. location should read up on what moment of inertia effects can have on an aircrafts flying qualities. And you should consider youself a true blue test pilot when you begin your flight testing, because much of the flight qualities and spin recovery testing done by the kit mfr. will not apply.

rvbuilder2002 said:
Moving the engine even farther fwd and extending the cowl as you suggest would at first seem better because you don't need to add lead, but it is probably even a worse choice because it would probably increase the moment of inertia even more.

Anyone considering moving heavy components (or adding lead!) toward the extream fwd or aft end of an airplane, to get an exceptable C.G. location should read up on what moment of inertia effects can have on an aircrafts flying qualities. And you should consider youself a true blue test pilot when you begin your flight testing, because much of the flight qualities and spin recovery testing done by the kit mfr. will not apply.

It would affect the moment interia a small amount, but the angle valve 4 cylinder vs. the parallel valve 6 isn't as big a difference in weight as people are making it out to be. I think were past the idea of putting lead in the nose as it just wouldn't be necessary (as demonstrated earlier). Quite a few people have used 3-blade props metal props on RV's without a problem (there was a turbonormalized -7 with a McCauley 3-blade in Sport Aviation a year or so ago). I think the IO-390X is an excellent alternative to the 540 (and can produce as much HP as some versions of it) and should be seriously considered as an firewall forward kit from Van's. The reality is, with a little bit of work, it will put out more HP than the O-540 235's and be more fuel efficient. I also doubt that putting a 2-blade Hartzell BA would be out of the question if someone really ran the W&B numbers.

the only way you could make this engine less attractive to is to put a gearbox on it,

Rotary10-RV said:
Ok William I got it,
Strange as I didn't get the questionare on the engine choices. Perhaps you need to have ordered the fuselage or finishing kits to have been included? I'm one of the first kits paid for at #41, (they saved a block of numbers for the expected orders from Oshkosh and #44 was the first kit actually shipped). I have only bought the empecone and wing kits so far however. I let my Rvator sub lapse, I need to restart that.
Bill Jepson

Bill,

What's a gearbox?

Bobby Hughes :)

Moment of inertia lol

The previous writer is correct; I would look into stability and all that wonderful stuff. My guess is the difference is so small that it's not a big deal. Again good points all around, including maintenance.

If I had a 210hp 4 banger laying around and wanted to make a RV-10 I would consider it, despite the gear box comment. What would I really want. A IO540, hell ya. This is just academic for me (but fun). The real issue is from the first post of this thread, "Where do you get an Engine mount" (for a IO390X). G

Back