What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel flow measurements

vlittle

Well Known Member
Up here in America's attic (aka Canada), we have a strict procedure to determine proper fuel flow in amateur-built aircraft, before certification.

It involves configuring the aircraft on the ground in 'maximum climb angle', which is the angle of the aircraft datum when at Vx. This angle is equal to the geographic climb angle (flight path) determined by Vx and climb rate, plus the angle of attack.

Fuel pressure and flow measurements are then made.

The problem I have is that I cannot determine the AOA of the RV-9A when in stabilized flight at Vx. Van's has not been helpful-- and they have the airfoil data.

My best estimate is 12.5 degrees for geographic (64 knots, 1400 fpm), plus a guess of 10 degrees for AOA at 64 knots, stabilized flight, MTOW. Total is 22.5 degrees.

Has anyone out there been through this testing and have objective information that they could share with all of us?

Subjective info isn't very useful (already got that from Van's). Numbers matter!

Thanks
Vern Little
RV-9A

Back