What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

deburring aileron counterbalance tube

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Anyone have any suggestions for deburring the INSIDE of the holes in the stainless steel aileron counterbalance tube? My tech counselor was by today and had no idea (but said it probably didn't matter too much since the tube is more to serve as counterbalance weight than it is structural). Any suggestion on how to remove some of the burrs if I really want to?

Thanks.

Tube deburr

I'd use a dremel tool and work from coarse to fine till you get the finish you are looking for...

Good luck!

Threaded pipe

I have an amusing solution to this one. To just roughly knock off the majority of the burr on the inside, I used the threads on the end of a piece of water pipe as a sort of super rough file.

log entry

I did something similar to Scott. I just stuck a rod or something down the inside and knocked off the big chunks. I believe the main point of deburring is to relieve stress points in thin aluminum. I doubt the thick steel pipe is going to crack because of a little burr.

And unless things have changed, the counterweight is a galvanized steel pipe, not stainless. After owning two old houses, I can safely say those galvanized pipes rust quite nicely after holding water for 40 years. :rolleyes:

Dave

Davepar said:
IAnd unless things have changed, the counterweight is a galvanized steel pipe, not stainless. After owning two old houses, I can safely say those galvanized pipes rust quite nicely after holding water for 40 years. :rolleyes:
Dave,

Things have changed. The -9 uses SS for the counterbalance tubes. I wish they were galvanized because they would be easier to drill!

Just realized I posted a picture of the aileron w/o skins on my web site. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
N941WR said:
Things have changed. The -9 uses SS for the counterbalance tubes. I wish they were galvanized because they would be easier to drill!

Yeah, Dave--you -7 folks are lucky! I went through 3-4 #30 bits to drill those ss tubes and still probably should have changed the bit more frequently!

That said, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just find something to stick down there to knock most of the burr off and/or use Scott's suggestion.

Steve

That's interesting. That pipe looks a little thinner than what's on the -7. I wonder if they used that rather than galvanized for the lighter weight.

Back