What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Ignition Choice?

FlyingArcher

Well Known Member
Hello,

I'd like to study the different EI systems, but I'm mainly looking for those using existing magneto slots.
Based on previous experience with car engines, I don't like the idea of having any kind of remote external sensor.
My old and used O-320-E2A engine currently has no magneto(s) installed, so I'm really open to any option as long as it gets synchronized by existing gears.

Thank you, and please don't use this thread to (re)start a war about E/P-Mags. I've read too much about them already.

Daniel,

This like asking which primer is best or tip-up vs. slider or nose vs. tail wheel; everyone will have their own opinion.

To utilize the existing mag holes you have basically two choices, E/P-mags or light speed with the adapter.

Emag Air is relatively new to the market and has had some teething problems which they seem to have resolved.

Light Speed has been around since 1986 and is a well know product.

That said, I'm using duel P-mags and now have over 200 trouble free hours on them. In addition, the fleet is seeing a number of people who have been running in excess of 200 hours without any issues. In other words, this product is maturing and I highly recommend it.

The P-mags are self powering in the event of an electrical failure, have vacuum advance, plug in like a standard mag, and can use auto plugs.

Go to the electronic ignition section of this forum and set it to show all threads and start reading. (Scroll down and on the left side you can tell it how far back you want to go.) There is a lot to learn.

Back