What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trash in paint on canopy skirt (static?)

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm about 80% done in painting and all has gone very well so far. Yesterday I did the canopy skirt and was shocked to see tons of trash in my paint. I sanded it back and put on another coat today after tacking it off very carefully only to have the same issue, although not as bad. The only thing I can think of is that the plexi bubble is holding a static charge and sucking dirt onto the skirts. I know next to nuthin bout lektricity so feel free to tell me I'm crazy.

I painted a wing panel, only to have a mass of gunk fly onto it, in a spiral pattern of about eight inches in diameter. I think it came off the "one" and only visqueen wall of my garage paint booth. This was definitely from a static charge (or discharge :)).

I've heard that it's worthwhile to attach a ground wire to the pieces being painted. And that's what I did from then on.

L.Adamson

With the S. Cal. fires...

I'm about 80% done in painting and all has gone very well so far. Yesterday I did the canopy skirt and was shocked to see tons of trash in my paint. I sanded it back and put on another coat today after tacking it off very carefully only to have the same issue, although not as bad. The only thing I can think of is that the plexi bubble is holding a static charge and sucking dirt onto the skirts. I know next to nuthin bout lektricity so feel free to tell me I'm crazy.

...you must be having Santa Ana winds, right?

The associated humidity is so low you are getting "static cling".

Wait a few days until your weather returns to normal and I bet you will be OK.

Back