What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL Avionics Fuel Flow/Total Reviews?

N2492S

I'm thinking of adding a fuel flow and fuel total capability to my experimental aerobatic plane and was looking for a cheap, accurate solution. I noted the MGL Avioincs FF-1 that looks perfect. Before I go for it I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this gauge and their thoughts. Thanks,
Tom

Do not know if it will help you, but I have installed one about 4 years ago in a Jabiru and it is still working fine. Also quite easy to calibrate. Just be careful were you install it in order to make sure you can view the LCD properly.

Do not know if it will help you, but I have installed one about 4 years ago in a Jabiru and it is still working fine. Also quite easy to calibrate. Just be careful were you install it in order to make sure you can view the LCD properly.

Our current range of Velocity singles has a much better display, well - it's still the same display (we have them made for us) but it no longer has a seperate polycarbonate lense in front of it. Advantage: much better contrast and viewing angle.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The cheap route would be to use the MGL flow transducer. It's plastic and uses hose barbs. You might want to consider the more expensive FlowScan transducer. Go here: http://www.mglavionics.co.za/ and click on 'probes and senders' for photos.

Tony

You can connect just about any flow transducer as long as it can produce a pulse train that is proportional to flow rate. Voltage swing needed is 5V but this may be higher. The FF-1 can be calibrated for a wide range of K-factors (pulses per given quantity of liquid passing through the sender).

Our "cheap" plastic flow transducer tends to work quite well and it comes with 4 jets that you can insert to trim the sender for different flow rates. This sender can be sensitive to installation orientation if you have very low flow rates (more on that in the manual that comes with it).
The U.S. made Flowscan is definitely the better sender overall and it excels at low flow rates with good repeatability. It is a bit more pricey but not so bad for you guys as you can buy them "local".

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I recently installed a velocity Gage in my RV-7A and have no trouble with visibility. It is located at the bottom of the panel and is easy to read in sun light, etc...

Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'll go the flowscan route. Another question.....Do you know if the NMEA output of the Garmin 196 will interface correctly with the FF-1? Can I just wire the RS 232 directly or do I need the adapter cable?

Tom

Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'll go the flowscan route. Another question.....Do you know if the NMEA output of the Garmin 196 will interface correctly with the FF-1? Can I just wire the RS 232 directly or do I need the adapter cable?

Tom

we stay as basic as possible with the NMEA stuff so we are not looking for any advanced sentences. Practically any GPS that has a serial output should work. We are only looking for the ground speed so we can calculate a fuel range estimate.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

Back