What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another AP question

Rivethead

Well Known Member
Right in the middle of wiring my 7A Dynon announced their AP was soon to be released. Not being a total idiot I decided to wire for the servos since I'm already invested in Dynon. I was done with the wings, pretty much, long ago and am wondering if anyone out in the eather has ever mounted their roll axis in the fuse rather than the wing. If so how did you do it. Just looking for ideas right now. Even if all you have to share is an idea I'd love to hear (or should I say see) it. Hey!!! and a big shout out to Pierre, you're awesome dude the ice worked great :eek:.

Yes.......... do a search for trutrack....... lot of info there. Also, trutrack web site has installation drawings for the RV'S...............

RH,

You may have already seen this, but the Dynon instructions (with some drawings) for mounting the roll servo in a -6 (it goes in the fuselage under the seats in a -6) are here:

http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/Install_Guides/RV6 Roll Kit Instructions.pdf

If the link doesn't work, its under Support/Product Documentation on the Dynon site.

I just finished the pitch servo today and am about halfway done on the roll servo. Will post pix here when I get that done.

I'm not sure if the -7 geometry or aileron control attach points are the same as in the -6, and the -6 uses a roll servo with a longer servo arm and a bracket designed for that floor bay, so it's probably worth a call to Dynon to see if the -6 roll kit can be used in a -7. Can't advise either way on that part.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Dynon will provide a mounting kit w/ the servo and it is absolutely trivial to install it in the wing (bellcrank area).. Their installation is basically the same as TruTrak's.. and it's really really easy to retrofit into finished wing/plane. Even running the wires in a fully assembled plane isn't hard at all (I still recommend buying that wire bundle from Stein... it'll have 2 more wires than needed since it's geared towards TT, but it's a breeze to run through tight spaces).

Who knows, maybe Stein will start offering similar product for Dynon AP? You guys just need to tell him that you need it.. he aims to please..

You know, if the retrofit into a completed wing is easy, it may be worth considering as well. The install of the kit in the floor was pretty straight forward, and it all goes together easily (mostly), but a couple things to consider as you make your choice:

1. The fuselage floor bay was a little bit of a PITA to work in (tight space, as I had wires coming in from the wing and had to trim the mounting bracket a bit on one side (could be different for you, depending on where you are in that part of the build, and how your wires are run).

2. At full throw of the aileron, the servo arm contacted the edge of the lightening hole through which the aileron push tube exits to the wing, so I had to trim that hole back a little. Not a big deal, and that may not happen in the 7, but something to be aware of.

3. Dynon's recommended attach method for the bracket is through the floor, with an outer plate provided to sandwich the fuse skin from the outside. You can also attach the bracket to the floor stiffener (through the side of the bracket), but it felt firmer to me to go through the floor. so I painted the plate and drilled away (after gnashing my teeth a little about drilling 4 more holes in my belly :)). If you haven't painted yet, no big deal...but it will stick out a little (unless yours in an A model...I believe Dynon says it'll fit under the top gear-leg fairings in an A).

Caveat...not an expert on this at all...just some experience from my first AP install. Just wanted to throw it out as you look at your options.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
H Jim

I would put it in the wing if it comes down to a choice between fitting a pre-engineered bracket in the place it was designed for, vs modifying it and putting it in the fuse.

The geometry of these brackets is critical and it may look simple to move it but I'll almost gurantee its a lot harder then you might think.

As to running the wires, you havent fitted the wings yet so running extra wires it pretty trivial..Thru some conduit that you can zip tie to a few of the ribs is easiest.

Let me know if you want me to have a look at it with you.

Frank
745-6386 (H)
715-7568 (W)

Since you have a 7A, put it in the wing. As the others have said, it is really easy to install.

Just remove the lower bell crank bracket, replace it with the Dynon bracket, bolt the servo in, install the push rod, and connect the wires.

It couldn't get any easier.

If you have a -6, you will need to mount the roll servo under the seat.

For a -7, put 'er in the wing as others have said. It will fit under the seat, but it's a bear, because the seat ribs are quite a bit lower in a -7 than in a -6 so it's a tight squeeze to get them to fit. It can be done, but unlike the -6's which suck to retrofit into the wing, the -7's are pretty easy.

Cheers,
Stein

Jim

Where did you guys run the wires for the pitch servo? I am having a hard time finding a spot to bet past the spar. Already one hole in the cockpit, and its full. A hole in the sidewall brackett just above the spar on the left side of the fuselage, and its full. Now where, outside into the wing root and under the spar? I hate to drill another hole in the spar web, cause I am not sure how much that will weaken the structure. There is already one hole for wires in the root area outside the fuselage. This is a real PITA.

I ran the wires up the center tunnel, in the same hole as the manual trim cable. It was tight but they fit.

I've been able to run all my wires through the predrilled holes in the spar.
The place I had a problem with was back at bulkhead that forms the rear wall of the baggage compartment (I don't remember the part number). I had to drill a new hole in order to run wires since the one that came factory punched is being used for a manual trim cable.

Back