What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Which kit to start with first?

iliad

I'm New Here
Greetings,

I am looking at building a RV-10. Trying to figure out which kit would make sense to start with first? Any suggestions?

Will be my first build.

Brad

The -10

If I am not mistaken, you are advised to start the empennage first, followed by the -10 tailcone. This sequence is just as it is recommended on the other RV models, albeit the other ones don't have a dedicated (separate) tailcone like the -10 does.

While I suppose you could jump to another part first, I think the experience learned on the empennage/tailcone will work wonders for you when going on to the next sections.

Good luck.

If it's your first build, do it in the order recommended by the factory. The empennage plans walk you through everything step by step. On the wings and fuselage they assume you've learned from the empennage and skip things that should be obvious. If you start on the wings or fuselage first, you're going to spend a lot of time scratching your head if you haven't built an RV before.

PJ

kit order

As a first build the suggestion is to start with the Empacone. (as Vans calls it) The Factory suggests building the Vertical Stab first, and it seems logical. It is the least expensive part to replace if it is totally screwed-up. You can get your bearings about riveting without as great a $ risk. I had done riveting previously, altough not on an aircraft, (race car chassis,) and found the kit instructions very easy to follow.
Bill Jepson

Standard or Quickbuild

I'm new here and it's great to read so many good things about the -10. I've always dreamed of building a kit plane. I've built tons of RC up to 1/4 scale.I'm still at least a year away from buy and build. Has anyone recomendations on the Standard vs Quickbuild? Personally, I like the idea of someone else doing the tricky stuff and would prefer a shorter build time. THX in advance.

Std Or Quickbuild

wirejock said:
I'm new here and it's great to read so many good things about the -10. I've always dreamed of building a kit plane. I've built tons of RC up to 1/4 scale.I'm still at least a year away from buy and build. Has anyone recomendations on the Standard vs Quickbuild? Personally, I like the idea of someone else doing the tricky stuff and would prefer a shorter build time. THX in advance.

If you can afford it get the quick build. It has a ton of stuff built already, and the -10 has a lot of structure to complete. The kit is quit complete, and the instructions are excellent. I bought a std kit, due to finances. I haven't found anything too difficult, just tedious. I would rather fly than build so I would chose QB if I had the cash.
Bill Jepson

Back