What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gretz Heated Pitot

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I was curious if anyone out there has used the Gretz heated pitot yet and what their impressions were? It seems like it and the Falcon model are the only options in the $400 price range.

Also, is it possible to chrome an unchromed heated pitot (with damaging it)? I know there is also chrome paint, but I doubt that would work on the heated tube. I can't bring myself to put a bare metal pitot tube on the nice chrome Gretz mount.

I have the Gretz heated tube and like it very much. In the north, I think a heated pitot is a good investment, even on a VFR airplane. My Gretz pitot did come chromed (don't remember if it was standard, or an option) so you might look into that.

The new Gretz heated pitot tube sells for $425 (without the mount) and is superior in many ways to the Falcon ones. It's not a chrome unit, but it's that way because of the materials it's constructed from. We sell both the Falcon and Gretz tubes, but since the new Gretz's have arrived I wouldn't buy a Falcon. Before the Gretz tubes, the Falcon ones were the only reasonable option, but now I'd forget the Falcons and go with the Gretz's.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,
Stein.

Chromed Gretz?

Jeff,

Can I ask where you got the chromed gretz heated pitot? I don't see that as an option anywhere.

Thanks,
Scott

I'm pretty sure I got it directly from Gretz. That was about five years ago, and I'm not sure if they still sell direct.

tx_jayhawk said:
Jeff,

Are you sure you are talking about the tube (not the mount)? I thought the Gretz heated tube just came out.

Is it the same as this one listed here?

http://steinair.com/accessories.htm

Thanks,
Scott

As I remember, about 5-7 years ago, I also purchased my heated pitot # AN 5814-1 from Gretz along with the mount. It's stainless steel or chromed (havn't looked lately). This is when this model went for about $300.00 instead of three or four times that amount today.

edit: mine is a heated pitot/static. Goes for $1374.00 these days...

Last edited:
The new fangled, computer controlled Gretz tube did just recently come out. The one I bought was from Gretz, and similar to the Falcon heated tube just below the Gretz mount kit on the Steinair page.

I did some digging and found my receipt. I did indeed buy it direct from Gretz on 3-1-01. At the time, his 12 volt, heated, chromed pitot tube went for the princely sum of $135, shipping included. I about crapped when I saw what they want for heated pitots today.

Gretz Pitot Tube

I just received my Gretz Pitot Tube last week. It cannot be chromed as it is made of a composite material, not metal.

My initial observations are that I like it. It comes with a controller unit that mounts close to the tube itself. It automatically senses the pitot temperature and turns itself on and off. There are three LED lights that go to the controller unit showing when it is off, on, and heating up. It came with a 4 conductor shielded wire to three LED lights although it is not going to be long enough. It is probably best to mount the lights in the panel and label them. One suggestion he has is to mount it externally in the wing but I'm not quite that industrious to make it all watertight.

I needed to lightly grind it down to fit into the mount and this is suggested in the instructions that are sent with it.

Unless your going to purchase a used heated pitot tube, go with this one if price is a factor. If used is what you want, I have a very nice used 5814-1 12v heated pitot/static tube for sale in the classified section (not that I'm advertising it here, just showing that I purchased the Gretz over the one I already had).

Mike R.
N174MR - Reserved
RV-7A

new gretz pitot tube

Mike,

Are you still happy with the new style gretz tube? Do you need a switch with it or is it fully automatic in operation? What size circuit breaker do you use with it?

I have a while before flying with it but I am impressed with it after mounting the control unit. According to the instructions, it uses a 10A circuit breaker or fuse for a 12v system. They say nothing about a switch becuase it is automatic but I intend to mount one so it can be turned off completely if not needed or in an electrical emergency.

dsc00929a0no.jpg

dsc00933a5wp.jpg

VFR heated pitot

sprucemoose said:
I have the Gretz heated tube and like it very much. In
the north, I think a heated pitot is a good investment,
even on a VFR airplane.
Why is a heated pitot tube good for a VFR plane. I know even some VFR
Cessna's have them and many people learned on those and are influenced but
that. Also I know the bent tube Van has standard is not sexy, but with the
cost, weight and electrical load (needing a larger alternator), why?

You can NOT get any ice unless the temp is below 32F (0C) and you
are in visible moisture.
Visible moisture can be clouds, fog or mist (less
than 1 miles vis). It is not possible to get ice with out both temp and visible
moisture. Avoid clouds = no ice.

I know some one will say you can be in VFR conditions and have freezing
drizzle or rain fall on to you. True, but it is visible moisture below freezing.
Also, you are in deep dodo if that happens to you. As a pilot, VFR or IFR
rated, you should know better and have received a WX brief. If you are in
freezing rain/drizzle the visibility will marginal VFR or worse. Even if IFR rated
and on an IFR flight plan you will loose thrust, lift and visibility with a iced
over windscreen. It could be bad news heated pitot or not.

One thing is with GPS we can use ground speed as an approx substitute for
airspeed and with a good static (alternate) we also have altitude.

Save your money and avoid icing conditions and the heated pitot unless you
plan on flying in cloud routinely (aka IFR). Other wise you are wasting your
money and adding weight in my opinion.

George

Last edited:
Gretz

I bought the new Gretz pitot and bracket. One of the bushings turned in the space age stuff the pitot is made of. I shipped it back to Gretz, he installed a new oversize bushing and threw in a new bracket as the first one was damaged getting the bushing out. Gretz had the pitot back to me in 3 weeks. He doesn't answer the phone much or emails at all but I am pleased.

Ian

gmcjetpilot said:
Also I know the bent tube Van has standard is not sexy, but with the
cost, weight and electrical load (needing a larger alternator), why?

You're right, it's not "sexy". :D In fact, it can't stand the looks of the standard bent tube! Happily I got my heated pitot tube and Gretz mount, back in the day's when the whole thing could be had for less than $300.00 including shipping. The same tube now retails for over $1850 without the mount! :confused:

So that's my personal "why", just in case someone ask's! :)

L.Adamson

Back