What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about painting over previously painted parts

mandm1516

Well Known Member
My kit was started by another builder who painted some of the interior panels already. I am painting the interior with Krylon and although the job isn't going to win any awards, I like the way it's turning out so far on the bare aluminum (scuff with marroon scotchbrite pads, clean with MEK, dupont veriprime rattle can primer, then krylon rattle can paint). I'm changing the color scheme and have just started painting over the previously painted parts--again I scuffed the paint with scotchbrite, then cleaned the surface with soap and water, then paint--no primer. Overall on most panels it has turned out fine, but on a few spots I got some orange peel--looks like the krylon has eaten through the other paint.

I'd prefer not to strip everything down and start over but wondering if this is a normal reaction sometimes between paints, if I didn't prep well enough in some areas, or if there is a technique when painting over already painted surfaces that I'm missing?

Thanks for any advice.

Normally using a paint like Krylon which would be an enamel should go over other paints if it has cured for some time. Of course lacquer over enamel will curdle up like crazy. Don't try to respray over Krylon the same day for any reason either. I painted some small parts using Krylon and had a few too many blemishes so I scuffed it with 320 sandpaper and resprayed about 8 hours later and it curdled up something awful. I would test on a small piece that can be removed from the plane and see what happens. I'm not a pro painter so beware.

Back