What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Switch Anti-rotation

szicree

Well Known Member
Today I was installing switches in my panel and they all come with that little anti-rotation washer (which I really like), but this requires an extra little hole directly above each switch (which I don't like). Leaving them out is an option, or I could make a small label placard to go over the switch area, but neither of these ideas appeals to me. Suddenly it occured to me that I could take a 3/4 inch strip of .063 and drill all my switch holes, including the anti-rotation ones, in it. Then simply mount this strip behind the panel. Worked perfectly and I'm so proud of myself for thinking of it. I apologize if this is common knowledge.

Steve Zicree
RV4 Wires

Good stuff

szicree said:
Worked perfectly and I'm so proud of myself for thinking of it. I apologize if this is common knowledge.Steve Zicree RV4 Wires
Not that common. I did not think of it until someone suggested it to me. Good info, great idea, I am sure will help others.G

Works great

Here are some photos of the technique in case anybody else might want to know how to do it:

Line it all up...
20030615_switch_backing_plate.jpg

Drill out the switch center holes, then use a Unibit to enlarge 'em...
20030615_drilling_switch_holes.jpg

The plate gets sandwiched (no need for rivets or anything) between the switches and the panel...BEHIND the panel.

20030701_switch_alignment_plate.jpg

My site is down at the moment (not for long, don't worry), so here's a Google cached page showing the technique: cached page

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com (up soon)

Anti rotation washer

Hi Dan,

I took another route. I snipped about half of the anti rotation finger off. Doing that I didn't need a full hole but still got the benefits of the anti rotation. I simply used my Dremel to drill a divot large enough for the finger. My panel and carbon overlay are already in so getting a drill in there would be tough. Also another plate would not have given me enough grip.

Great idea for those just getting started.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ

I like it

Thanks for the tip. I am at this stage too and want to use the anti-rotation feature. Thanks, :D

Sorry for bringing an old topic up but it's pertinent to my question. Is there a tip or trick for locating the hole for the anti rotation tab?

Put the tab on the switch. Put the switch in the hole. Rotate with slight pressure. Remove, and use the scratch the tab created to locate one axis of the hole. Use a square centered on the switch hole to locate the other axis.

-Paige

RV7Guy said:
Hi Dan,

I took another route. I snipped about half of the anti rotation finger off. Doing that I didn't need a full hole but still got the benefits of the anti rotation. I simply used my Dremel to drill a divot large enough for the finger. My panel and carbon overlay are already in so getting a drill in there would be tough. Also another plate would not have given me enough grip.

Great idea for those just getting started.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
I located similary to what "Paige" did in his post but the hole goes all the way through. The ON / OFF Label that goes on the front side of the panel COVERS the hole.

Remember:
Instrument markings and placards required by 91.9 are completed. FAA Order 8130.2F PAR 147(c) require cockpit instruments marked properly, needed placards installed and placed for easy reference. All system controls properly marked, CB's clearly marked, and function as intended.

Do not forget that being EXPERIMENTAL does not exempt us from the regulations.

Baseball Dad said:
Is there a tip or trick for locating the hole for the anti rotation tab?

For full size S700 style switches (B&C, Stien), the anti rotation hole is .37 inch from the center of the switch body hole. Lay out both holes befor drilling the body hole. I used a .090 panel thickness so I just drilled the holes into, but not through, the panel. I trimmed several of the tabs as necessary to fit into the holes.

Jekyll

In the past I would just place the switch in the panel, rotate so the anti-rotation washer makes a mark, using a #30 drill start to make a hole careful not to penetrate the panel. Using a pair of diagonal cutters reduce anti-rotation tab size to fit my little indent. Works great and is much easier.

Noel Simmons
A&P CFI
Builder of fine aircraft #27
www.blueskyaviation.net

Last edited:
Noel Simmons said:
In the past I would just place the switch in the panel, rotate so the anti-rotation washer makes a mark, using a #30 drill start to make a hole careful not to penetrate the panel. Using a pair of diagonal cutters reduce anti-rotation tab size to fit my little indent. Works great and is much easier.

Noel Simmons
A&P CFI
Builder of fine aircraft #27
www.blueskyaviaiton.net

I feel like a jerk for pointing it out, but your web address is misspelled in your signature. :)

Nice trick

Nice tip, thanks.

I did something similar: I backed up my FrontPanelsExpress.com panels with a sheet of .062", and then made the anti-rotation holes in that.

In many cases, I didn't drill the anti-rotation holes all the way through. It doesn't take much to keep the switches from rotating.

Anti rotation washer

Today I was installing switches in my panel and they all come with that little anti-rotation washer ... snip.
Steve Zicree
RV4 Wires

My switches did not come with the anti-rotation washer. Wish I had known when I ordered (do you have to order them separately?).

Who stocks these little guys?

Thanks for the info, Dan and Paige.

The switches I ordered from Steinair come with a hex nut and a knurled nut. BandC's switches come with a hex nut and anti-rotation washer.

Just called Steinair, and they don't stock the anti-rotation washers anymore. They used to have a ton of them on the shelf, but they weren't popular and nobody ordered them. They finally got rid of them... and then of course they get my call with my request :)

I asked what they used to prevent switch rotation. They use buss bars to power the switches, which prevents the switches from rotating. They also have the star washers available, that can be ordered separately (part number SA811R, I believe).

BandC do have the anti-rotating washers, though I'll first check locally again. If I don't find them here, then I will add them to list for my next order at BandC.

Back