What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed Crank Sensor Hardware

szicree

Well Known Member
I recently got an email from Superior advising me that the small machine screws that hold the crank sensor circuit board to the bracket are not loctited by the folks at Lightspeed and were also not done at Superior. It appears that both parties thought the other was taking care of it. In any case, I checked them today and not only were they not loctited, but I would call them finger tight at best. I'm not writing this to badmouth anybody and I can definitely see how it could happen. I just wanted to pass the info along so that everybody stays safe.

I recently got an email from Superior advising me that the small machine screws that hold the crank sensor circuit board to the bracket are not loctited by the folks at Lightspeed and were also not done at Superior. It appears that both parties thought the other was taking care of it. In any case, I checked them today and not only were they not loctited, but I would call them finger tight at best. I'm not writing this to badmouth anybody and I can definitely see how it could happen. I just wanted to pass the info along so that everybody stays safe.

Thanks for the heads-up Steve. It's feedback like this that makes the internet so invaluable. I'll certainly check mine.

Last edited:
I added a couple of "jap" nuts to mine also just to be sure nothing would come loose (dual L/S) :D

Those are stainless screws in stainless rivnuts. They definitely need some sort of locking. I used blue loctite.

Heinrich Gerhardt

AeroSport on the ball

Following up from Steve Zicree's post about Superior not securing fasteners I got a mirror and checked my LightSpeed crank sensor mounting. Apart from the circuit board machine screws there are AN3 bolts holding the crank sensor bracket to tapped threads in the crank case. There could be very unfortunate results if any of these fasteners came loose.

My engine was from AeroSport so I went back to them and asked them how these fasteners were secured.

According to Bart he used loctite and lock washers against the crankcase and loctite on the circuit board.

The more I deal with AeroSport the more confidence I have in them.

The more I deal with AeroSport the more confidence I have in them.

Bart & Sue know aircraft engines and how to build them, and they are genuinely nice people. I highly recommend them if you are looking for an engine or to rebuild your timed out engine. They are certain one of the best, and they know how to treat customers.

Good catch Steve. While you are putting lock tite on the screws replace the sending wire. It is plenum building wire and should not be used in aircraft.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=31574
http://geicodevelopment.com/light_speed_engineering

Last edited:
Remove Prop?

Steve,

Did you have to remove the prop and flywheel to loctite the screws?

Thanks

Back