What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance 2000c Upgrade

Squeak

Well Known Member
Just received the Terrain Awareness Upgrade for the Lowrance 2000C. Have to charge my batteries before installing the new software. It warned to have fully charged batteries.
I also notice in the installation that you also get a new navigation airspace page.

The installation did not work. It would not load up so I called Lowrance and got a very helpful Tech Person. He had to send an email with an upgrade for my old 32MB card. Then I put the old card back into Lowrance Card Space and it upgrade automatic. I removed the 32MB card and reinstalled the Terrain Awareness Upgrade and it upgraded.

Cannot wait to go flying now and try it out. It is going to cool down here (Southern IN) by the end of the week so the sky will be clear again.

Anyone got the upgrade installed yet?
Squeak

Last edited:
upgrade

Squeak,

I have been looking for the upgrades. Where did you get the terrain awareness upgrade. I know you can download the Jepp software upgrades from the Lowrance site, but I so far have been unable to find the terrain awareness upgrades. I would like to get this done before LOE.

Thanks,

Jim

2000C Upgrade

Glad to hear that "Squeak" likes the upgrade, mine should be delivered today.
To Jim, I don't think you'll want to download the software if Lowrance ever makes it available online. (unless you have a very, very fast server)
The new software comes on a 512mb SD card because the program is very large. You'll have a little expansion room left on the card for making a local area map, if you keep it small - at least that's what the Lowrance tech told me.
Now, where is that UPS truck?

update terrain awareness

Squeak and Mike,

Thanks for the link and the info, I am going to try to get it before the trip!

Jim

2000C Terrain Upgrade

Guys,

I put the SD card in place yesterday evening and nothing new happened!
The database showed to be current but I couldn't access the Terrrain software as the instructions said.
Calling PilotMall this morning but probably won't reach them as they are in the process of moving to St Petersburg, FL, over the next week.
I hope Lowrance can tell me what's wrong. :(

2000C Terrain Upgrade Part 2

Guys,

I love a company that responds to your product questions. :D
Neil at Pilotmall.com answered my inquiry within an hour of posting.
Seems that Lowrance may have released the Terrain Awareness software a little early. They know that "some" users may have a problem installing the new program on their units and have provided a detailed letter to the seller with instructions on how to make it work. Note: version 1.5 is due to be released soon that will correct the installation problem.
Anyone that needs a copy of the Lowrance letter, let me know. It's in MS Word format. I'll email it to you.

how do you like it

I am thinking of retiring my old Garmin and like the look and size of the 2000c, especially for the price. Garmin is nice but don't need the XM weather but like the terrain feature. So do you recommend? Does it come drive and come with a harness to connect the data serial port to the auto pilot? Thanks G

gmcjetpilot said:
I am thinking of retiring my old Garmin and like the look and size of the 2000c, especially for the price. Garmin is nice but don't need the XM weather but like the terrain feature. So do you recommend? Does it come drive and come with a harness to connect the data serial port to the auto pilot? Thanks G

Something to consider is screen resolution. The Garmin screen is smaller at 3.8", but has a pixel resolution of 480*320. The Lowrance, with a 5" screen comes in at a 320*240, which makes the display look blocky in comparison to the Garmin. I'm impressed with the Garmin (296) terrain display, at it's resolution, as it looks like a "mini" Garmin 1000. But what's the Lowarance terrain/warning display going to look like? I don't know...

Kitplanes (Feb. 2005) wrote a good "head to head" review , as they called it, on the Garmin 296 versus the Lowrance 2000c. End the end, even with the Garmin $200 more than it is now, the magazine favored the Garmin due to superior display with greater terrain detail, simpler operating system; and at the time, the terrain warning feature.

L.Adamson

Lowrance 2000c

In response to one question, Yes, the 2000 comes with the necessary card reader to hook up to your computer plus mapping software to create detailed maps of an area. Since I started flying with the 2000, I have been going in and creating small 5 to 10 square mile maps around our destinations. The detail when you get close to arrival is great!
In response to the resolution argument, Garmin vs Lowrance, I don't see a problem with the difference. I've flown in a friend's 6A using a Garmin and I'm very happy with the Terrain Awareness display of the Lowrance. I guess it all boils down to how much do you wanna pay for the few extra pixels.
I paid $475 for my Lowrance, after the $225 credit for my old outdated Airmap. The Terrain Awareness upgrade was $99.
I think it's hard to beat at that price, especially when it's my backup to my panel mounted Garmin that doesn't have an obstruction database.

I'm looking at the 2000C for my RV10 panel right now. Has anyone hooked up this unit to a TruTrak autopilot? Any word if/ when they will offer weather overlay software for the 2000C? Any problems with this unit to report? Has Lowrance added private airports to their data base yet?

I looked at the Avmap IV but read too many scary reports of disappearing, features, bad terrain data and interference problems, plus North up only depictions. Not sure if those are now solved but I see a lot for sale used.

I really like my Skymap IIIC in my RV6A but kinda pricey now and not sure if they will offer the weather features either. Sunlight readability was poor on my 2000 year model which may have been improved by now. WAY easier and more intuitive to use than my backup Garmin.

:confused:

How do users find the programming/ entering of waypoints for flight planning? I've read where you must use the cursor to choose. Is there a way to select identifiers or names to do this. Also, best current price people have found on this unit?

Finally, anything users really dislike about the 2000C?

so so

I have been hesitant to enter into this area but......
I bought an Airmap 500 to get an inexpensive GPS that could serve as a backup when I eventually get my "keeper". I know we're talking about the 2000 here, but the software is likely similar if not identical.

I find the Lowrance interface to be very clumsy. Yes, you are using arrow keys to work your way up and down menu selections and it is very "heads down" in operation.

I find that when I haven't used the unit for a while, I have to relearn how to do things again (like build a flight plan). It is not very intuitive. A couple of times I have had to get the manual out to re-figure out how to do something.

Speaking of the manual. It is very limited. There are many undocumented operations in the unit. For example, I have never successfully reversed a flight plan. When I try to do it, the unit simply ignores my menu selection. I then make a new flight plan for the trip home. There is no mention in the manual anywhere about reversing a flight plan.

There are also lots of silly features that clutter up the unit and make it that much more difficult to navigate around. Do we really need an E6B in our GPS?
I would like the ability to turn stuff off/make it go away. There are lots of goofy things I will never use like OBS hold. However, if you stumble into OBS hold, it fundamentally changes the way the moving map works. I simply want that "capability" removed.

That leads me to my one tangible complaint. On 3 occasions(twice in flight, once on the ground) the moving map would not move. It seems to revert to a fixed location and just sit there. The HSI screen still works but the map is dead. No amount of fiddling seems to be able to recover it including rebooting the unit. Did I select something form the menus that I shouldn't have ? Maybe but 99% of the real value of any GPS is in the moving map. If it doesn't move, it's nothing but a distraction.

In summary, I would prefer less "fluff" and more intuitive operation of the core aviation functions. I recognize that other people might think that OBS hold is a good thing for a VFR GPS but I want the ability to disable/remove it. If others want to keep it, that's up to them. Right now, I don't get a choice.

On the plus side, this little unit fits in a shirt pocket and can go 10+ hours on a set of AAs. As a backup, you just turn it on and you know where you are. You can even leave it in your pocket if you like :). Pretty close to ideal.

Lowrance 2000C

I have to agree with the OBS Hold feature but that's about all.
The 2000C is very easy to program a route and reverse it but you must be familiar with the unit, just like any other GPS you would purchase. When you select a function you have to remember to hit the "ENT" button and then the "EXIT" or the unit will just return you to the previous menu or screen you were viewing.
If you're used to a Garmin it will take a few flights or simulator mode usage at home before you try to use the Lowrance in the air.
My wife is normally useless on techno stuff like VCRs, DVRs, etc., and she even learned the Lowrance navigation menu on our first cross country.
The Terrain Awareness in the 2000 is great and comes in handy when flying near mountainess terrain. Hope to get some use out of it this weekend when we fly to Denver and Fort Collins.

Using the Lowrance Airmaps

The 2000C is very easy to program a route and reverse it but you must be familiar with the unit, just like any other GPS you would purchase.

I concur. The Airmap 100 faithfully guided my RV-6 around the country for six years and the unit was very intuitive to use. A few months ago I upgraded to the Airmap 1000 and found the menu to be similar to the old 100 in function and ease of use. But an evening spent with the unit and the manual is always time well spent when getting familiar with a new GPS.

Lowrance has a very cool bit of software you can download to your computer so you can "use" the Airmap 1000 prior to buying the unit. This should also be useful for prospective 2000 users since the menu structure is very similar:

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/Install/AirMap1000/AirMap1000_demo.asp

Just as with the 100, the new 1000 drives the Trio EZ-Pilot superbly and my mature eyes love the huge display of the new Airmaps. :D

Sam Buchanan
http://thervjournal.com

Back