What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emag Rocks!

N941WR

Legacy Member
Today my P-mags came back after being upgraded per the latest mandatory service bulletin.

The total charge for the upgrade, $30 to cover shipping and handling. Not only did they perform the upgrade for free, they tossed in a new set of gaskets.

Better yet, they included a note indicating that my left P-mags had reached a temp of 204* F and suggested I verify my blast tubes were working. They also said this could have happened after shutting down on a hot day so it may or may not be an installation issue.

Neither Slick nor Bendix will give you that kind of customer service.

Now to go the airport and install these things and do some more flying. (Oh bummer! ;))

If you search a bit this forum you not that many, and I really mean many has stated that their temps has gone up in their xMag. I'm just wondering are all the builders so "stupid" that they don't install it correctly, or could the installation instructions and/or the xMag itself be a reason that temps go up? If high temperatures are problem, why not add some radiating area to xMag which would lower temperatures... :mad:

If you search a bit this forum you not that many, and I really mean many has stated that their temps has gone up in their xMag. I'm just wondering are all the builders so "stupid" that they don't install it correctly, or could the installation instructions and/or the xMag itself be a reason that temps go up? If high temperatures are problem, why not add some radiating area to xMag which would lower temperatures... :mad:
No, I don't think the builders are "stupid", I think it is as I said, on hot days, 90*F/32*C +, the things can get warm while sitting on the ground. That is probably the cause. You fly in, land, fuel up, and start the engine. Once you give them power, they are recording the temps. Last month I put temperature sensitive stickers on my P-mags (available from McMaster-Carr) that change color at 200*F to give me some indication as to what is going on and they haven't changed color yet. So I suspect it is the hot OAT's causing me problems. (Yes, I have blast tubes pointing towards the necks of both P-mags.)

As for the design, Emag has added cooling fins to the 114 version to help with cooling, so they have addressed this issue.

I have over 150 trouble free hours on the PMAG in my RV-4 and it has always worked perfectly :)

We just checked the points on the SLICK Mag in my RV-10, they were very worn at only 80 hours :mad:

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

Proper installs important

I followed instructions exactly. The only problems I had were some early teething issues that were not that big of a deal. If you don't follow the instructions you are asking for potential problems.

Nice Upgrades!

<184 HP TIO-290-D2, Catto 4 blade prop, duel JATO bottles.>

Hey Bill, you been tinkering again?

I was wondering how long it would be until someone caught that.

Figures it would be you Bret.

No canges, just having a little fun.

Anyone know how urgent the 'loose magnet' AD is? I would much rather leave it to mid winter to get this done? They are working so well right now I would rather enjoy the last of the good weather. They have about 40 trouble free hours now. Am I tempting fate?

Well I guess it depends

If you have the aluminium (grey) magnet holders then the SB doesn't actually apply..Although they did upgrade both of mine when I sent them in for a firmware upgrade.

Its a bit like how long is a piece of string, if your magnets are the brass setscrew deals and are already coming loose, well your asking for it.

Hard to tell..Personally i would get them done

Frank

Airborne again!

Hi.

Yesterday I got the bird up into the wild blue yonder again after the latest S/B upgrade.
The engine still sounds like a happy cat and I'm once again a happy grinning RV-pilot!

Brad has been very helpful (as always) during this upgrade and when the P-mags returned, he even had included two new gaskets (like Bill mentioned)

The downtime was four (!) weeks, mainly due to the postage time beetween the US and Norway and also due to the sloooow process in the Norwegian Customs.
(you've to fill out an export document before shipping so you don't have to pax taxes once again when they return. Despite this, they still have to go through full customs procedure upon return)

Anyway, everything is well now and I'm looking forward to many troublefree hours behind the smooooothest engine I've ever flown behind.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
Back