What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced Flight Systems, Inc Customer Service

rv8180

Well Known Member
When installing the panel, I accidentally ruined the ribbon cable connector (AOA - Sport) on back of the LED display.

I called Advanced Flight Systems ( http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/ ) to get ordering info for a replacement part. Ms Jennifer Hickman (CFO) answered.

After she found out what I had done she did not give me ordering info....she requested my address. She quickly shipped the part, free of charge!
Not the customer service I expected in this day and age, but I sincerely appreciated it.
Advanced Flight Systems is on my "go to first" list now.

It's my pleasure to report this to the forum.

Yeah, Jenn is a class act. That Rob is a lucky guy in a number of ways--great company, great products and a great wife & family.

If you ever get the chance to see her in person, you will also notice that she is drop-dead gorgeous as well.
Rob (that dirty dog) he's got the whole package there.

Another Thumbs Up for AFS

Rob, Jenny, Trish (the entire gang at AFS) are absolutely the best to deal with. I have always had my questions answered and had my customer service needs met by AFS. In fact, everyone at AFS exceeded our expectations.

We ordered our AFS system from them and it was delivered when they promised (long lead time does not equal bad thing). We cannot say enough good things about Rob and Jenny, they really look out for their customers.

At Osh this year their fantastic RV-10 made its debut over in RV parking.

same here...

Hi.

I second the others!
"Way back when" I was thinking about which system to buy, I got all my questions answered quickly and nicely. (and by then I was even no customer).

They where really helpful with the delivery when I finally bought one, and during installation and afterwards they've been VERY helpful.

Their forum is just great and the product itself is really really nice! (EFIS 3500) It's as easy to read and use as the EFIS we have in the 737, even better in some areas.
I like also the fact that they continue to develop their products, both in models, software and hardware.

I've had a couple of issues afterwards (it turned out that the problem was not in the 3500 but in some of the other stuff in my a/c) and both Rob and Travis has been just beyond compare!

I would defintelely bought from them again! (and I will too, because my second RV is ready for avionics in a year or two)

Also, I second the words about Jen! I even listen to her every day I fly! (She's the voice in the warning system...)

Last edited:
Nice-kosh

And my 7-yr old, doing her best to keep up with Daddy at Osh, decided that the AFS booth was a good place to lie down. She was rewarded by Jen with a T-shirt.

And my AFS3500 has become more capable and advanced than when I bought it. Can't say that for much in this world.

Has anyone heard whether AFS is considering an AP option such a Dyon has for their D180? I am going to buy one or the other this spring for my 8a and I am leaning towards AFS, but I want an integrated AP. Happy Thanksgiving All!

Advanced Flight Autopilot

Actually, we are close to officially announcing our new ADVANCED Autopilot. The ADVANCED AP is being manufactured by TruTrak for us with some special features that will enable you to control the AP from our EFIS screen. Controlling the AP from the EFIS will have the ease-of-use of an integrated AP, but with the advantages of a stand-alone AP with its own internal gyros and the capabilability of flying the aircraft without the EFIS screen or AHRS.

AFS has licensed some of our technology and is heavily involved in EFIS development for a major certified avionics manufacturer. Every engineering decision that we make is based on what is the best solution not what is the cheapest- from our Crossbow AHRS, that is manufactured and extensively tested in a FAA certified facility to our new TruTrak manufactured AP.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

Actually, we are close to officially announcing our new ADVANCED Autopilot. The ADVANCED AP is being manufactured by TruTrak for us with some special features that will enable you to control the AP from our EFIS screen. Controlling the AP from the EFIS will have the ease-of-use of an integrated AP, but with the advantages of a stand-alone AP with its own internal gyros and the capabilability of flying the aircraft without the EFIS screen or AHRS.

I just wanted to publicly praise Rob for making the decision to not go with a totally integrated autopilot. Think about it...if you are ever flying in IMC and have a bad day (EFIS system rolls over and dies), a major factor in what the final outcome of the flight might be is whether you you have an autopilot that can continue to help you fly the airplane. It is a high probability that if you are flying with a system that has a fully integrated autopilot, your auto pilot will be about as useful as the blank screen in front of you.

Good decision Rob

A great company

Rob and crew are the best. I have the 2500 engine monitor in my plane and it has worked flawlessly since the first flight.

My new project already has the Advanced Deck spec'd in. The addition of the AP is fantastic news. I'm hoping the servos are the same so new mounting hardware doesn't have to be developed.

Rob if you are watching, would this eliminate the TT control head and would all those features be incorporated into the EFIS? I'm guessing it would. One less thing to have in the panel!!!

Customer service is huge for me. They'll get my business because of this. Also he is one of us!!!

Last edited:
AP & Good Service

Ditto all of the above as to great customer service! I could not be happier with my AFS3400 and would certainly recommend it to anyone considering their avionics choices. Good luck Rob with the AP!
Randy Utsey
N55CU / RV-7
Charlotte, N.C.

The AFS Autopilot mounts in a standard 2 1/4" hole and uses the standard TruTrak servos and mounting kit.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

Thanks Rob

I finally made my EFIS decision last week and put an order in with Stein for the AF-4500. I already have the Tru Trak servos installed in my project, so I'm really happy that I'll be able to use them with the new autopilot.

Thanks again.

Yesssss!!!!!

So there is still a control head? I was thinking everything would operate through the EFIS but be stand alone in the EFIS. Are you going to have an option for a square control head unit for the upper end featured units? Like the Digiflight series?

Whatever it is, I'm excited. Trutrak has fabulous service as well. What a TEAM. Thanks Rob.

The AFS Autopilot mounts in a standard 2 1/4" hole and uses the standard TruTrak servos and mounting kit.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10

Upgrade path policy

Ditto what everyone else has said, I'm a very happy camper. Thought I'd add something though that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is very important in this day of rapidly evolving product lines... without saying so, Rob will always provide an upgrade path for current owners. I've spoken with him at length on this issue and he understands how important it is. Once you're an AFS customer you will be for life.

Though I'm totally thrilled with my panel I can already see some upgrades coming down the road...
VAF_7426_640.jpg

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4
N402RH RV-10
I went with the flat pack. I hope this option will also be available.

Add my name to the list recommending AFS

I really like the AFS 3500EE. The DG display on the attitude indicator is tops in my book.

The product is really well thought out.

Their customer service is simply the best.

I also feel confident in the unit for IFR use based on the choice of AHRS.

The unit was a little more expensive than some of the others choices I had when I bought, but after owning this one a while I am very glad I spent a few more bucks and went AFS. I now realize what a bargain it was.

Rob,

I'm planning on a dual 4500 setup and was planning on purchasing the DigiFlight II VSGV. I already have the TT pitch & roll servos installed in my 9A and was planning on adding the Fail-safe auto trim as well. I already have a GNS-430W. What new capabilities will I get using your new AP compared to the DigiFlight? Will it support the TT auto-trim? Will it be cheaper? What is the timeline on this new product?

Thanks!

Back