What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Mag

Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I have a Bendix Dual Mag (two in one) on my 180 hp IO-360 part# 10-382555-11. The mags are due for rebuilding and an AI suggested changing to an EI system. I'd like to use at least one PMag for reliability should my electrical system fail, but because it's a dual mag there is only room for one PMag or EMag. So I need one that uses a crank sensor to time the spark.

Has anyone converted a dual-mag system over to EI?

Here's a pic of a magneto similar to mine. I do not have a picture of the actual mag.

387488832_Q4xu2-S.jpg

Dual mag

You cannot put a single mag replacement or a P-mag in the dual mag spot as it doesn't mount the same as a single mag unit.
I have the same mag. I disabled one half of the dual mag after having it overhauled and put a crank sensor type Lightspeed EI. This has worked very well for over 200 hrs.

Bruce
Redlands Ca

Here are two ways to do it:

1. See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17484&highlight=dual+mag and use the single Bendix mag referenced and also install a Lightspeed crank trigger ignition on the front of the crankcase.

2. Get a dual lightspeed crank trigger setup and ditch the mag entirely. That's what I did on my IO-360-A3B6D (also a dual-mag engine).

Emag is allegedly working on a dual-mag replacement (or at least thinking about it), but don't hold your breath. I asked them about it several years ago.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying

...Emag is allegedly working on a dual-mag replacement (or at least thinking about it), but don't hold your breath. I asked them about it several years ago.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying
Check with them, they came up with a duel P-mag for the new Lycoming O-233. It might just work with your engine.

E-MAG response

I emailed E-MAG about replacing a Bendix dual mag system and here is their response. I hope they don't mind me posting it here:

Hi John:

We are working with Lycoming to develop a dual ignition for their new LSA engine. As this product is finalized, we'll be in a better position to confirm it can serve in your engine as well. At the moment, it looks quite likely.

Hope that helps.

Brad Dement
E-MAG Ignitions
2014 Greg Street Box 112
Azle, Texas 76020
(817) 444-5310

I called EMAG a few weeks ago and a 6 cyl version was a higher priority. Which makes business sense, as us "dual maggers" are a minority. So, I would not expect anything anytime soon.

As posted, you can use a single mag and an electronic or go dual electronic. Another option is the new G3 ignition that has been posted here a few times. I have emailed him and the dual mag can be modified. I like that if it fails you revert back to normal mag fuction and the the price for both sides is less than the other two for a single. Decisions, decisions....

G3 System

I just looked over their website and it is a possibility. My mags need rebuilding though so that would add about $800 to the price tag. It is nice that both mags would still be there as backup. That's double redundant!

What about that new EI that was posted on here a few months ago?

I can't remember the name of the thing but it tied into standard mags somehow. Will that work?

What about that new EI that was posted on here a few months ago?

I can't remember the name of the thing but it tied into standard mags somehow. Will that work?

Yes, that is the G3 ignition I was referring to. See
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34319

I just looked over their website and it is a possibility. My mags need rebuilding though so that would add about $800 to the price tag. It is nice that both mags would still be there as backup. That's double redundant!

Last I heard a Bendix 1200 plus mods was about $800 (don't know what the current 3000 trade in value is)then add the price of the Lightspeed or ElectoAir. IMHO, I think the Lightspeed III is a better spark and includes mapping. But, the G3 is lower cost and have to ask how often you or I (everybody is different of course) will fly high enough for a long enough time to make the mapping truely important? As I was saying decisions, decisions. :)

If you decide to go the single mag route, would you please send me a pm on what the current total cost that is, ie 1200 - trade in? You might help me make up my mind.

Last edited:
...My mags need rebuilding though so that would add about $800 to the price tag...

Why don't you rebuild it yourself? It ain't that difficult. If you can build an airplane, you can certainly overhaul a mag. Get the manual. You can get all the parts from Sacramento Sky Ranch. If you follow all the instructions in the manual, you won't have a problem. You'll also need a magneto timer, but you should have one anyway to time the mag to the engine. You can build one of those, too; there's a kit out there. Check the archives.

Heinrich Gerhardt
RV-6, flying
ex-Bendix D-3000, now dual Lightspeed Plasma II

Back