What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Engine

Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
Today I started the engine installation. I had to turn my airframe around in the hanger and move something?s around. I browed an engine hoist and 30 minutes later a had the case bolted on.( the cylinder are out for overhaul) to the engine mount. The first thing to work on was the throttle cable. I used the ball type penetration thru the firewall. I drilled the aluminum ball section to accommodate the cable diameter.

10003965gx.jpg

10003985rz.jpg

10003999xl.jpg

Installe mixture

Hi Guys
The next thing to work on was the mixture cable. I used the ball type penetration thru the firewall. I drilled the aluminum ball section to accommodate the cable diameter.

Running wires

Hi Guys

I am getting ready to run the wires thru the firewall. Is there a better way to do this then a rubber grommet and a heat shield? What methods have other builder used?

Installing Mounts

Hi Everyone

The last week or so I made two mounts for my project
The first is a sender mount it is located on the left side upper firewall. I chose this location for its close proximity to the oil and fuel pressure ports. It will be away from the magnetos and the wire runs will be short. The second is the gascolator mount. I located it lower centerline of the firewall. I wanted to have the fuel line connect to the gascolator thru the firewall without a short section of hose or tube. I located it so the drain will be accessible for preflight.

10004225ch.jpg

10004214wz.jpg

10004206qc.jpg

If any one would like a drawing just e-mail me

Wow

Hi Dayton. I like what you have done. Those items look great. Very innovative devices. Are we going to see the DJM Logo on them with your other items? I will be out this weekend to see first hand, the new items. Great work and as you might guess, I am jealous. It is funny that we are only a couple of miles apart and I keep track of you via the web. See you this weekend.

interesting looking (can't think of the name) the sensor block you have with the angle. If I had to mount my oil press sensor on mine I wouldn't be able to mount it vertically. (it's big and round) with yours I could.

are you going to have a pull drain on your gascolator-- I don't, wonder if they make one?

Engine wire

Hi Guys
Today I drilled the holes in the firewall for the wires then I used a fire shield to cover the rubber grommet. I located the wire on the upper edges of the firewall. I connected the senders and the alternator ran the wire for the starter. I installed the carburetor heat cable. I had the fuel line made and the sender presure lines made also.

10004282tr.jpg

10004306xq.jpg

10004317sq.jpg

The next thing on my list is to finish the starter wire thru the firewall. That should finish the engine wiring.

Up date

Hi Guys

Just an update: I finished the fabrication of the starter wires. I used #2 gage wire for the complete system. The firewall penetration is a delren insulator with a 5/16" bolt to carry the amps thru the firewall. I have been working on the heater shuttle installation. I have mounted it on the firewall between the gear legs and above the gascolator. The hot air will enter the control stick area via a 2? scat tube. I have made the center area under the seat into a plenum. The hot air will exit thru two large vents forward of the sticks. When cold air is needed I can feed air from under the wing to the plenum.

Finish engine

Hi Guys
Here are the latest images. I finished the heat shuttle installation. I had some trouble with the door dragging. After a few hours of adjusting and re-doing it functions with out dragging.

10004333zt.jpg

the firewall side
10004351su.jpg

the inside
10004343jx.jpg

the starter wire

Back