What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headrest or no headrest

Paul Austin

Just been looking into interiors for my RV7A and was just wondering if anyone has a tip up RV7A with classic aero interiors aviator seats with the headrests is it better with or without headrests.

Do they restrict access to the baggage compartment to much ???
Do they restrict head movement when doing aero's ???

I have got them in my 9A

Just been looking into interiors for my RV7A and was just wondering if anyone has a tip up RV7A with classic aero interiors aviator seats with the headrests is it better with or without headrests.

Do they restrict access to the baggage compartment to much ???
Do they restrict head movement when doing aero's ???

Same size as your 7A.
I don't see the need, but my wife wanted the best seats, so I spent the money. I suppose that if you were rear-ended they would help support your neck.
I don't do acro, but don't think that it would matter.
The seats fold forward so access to the back is not problem.
Only downside (besides the money) is the shoulder harness needs to pass by the head rest and tends to want to go on one side or the other because the split in the web is just behind the head rest. I have though about getting them remade so that they split further back.

Kent

headrests---

I built a 7A (slider) and have Classic Aero aviator seats with headrests. The headrests seem to be in the way more than their usefulness as headrests. As Kent says, they interfere with the shoulder belts, but also trying to retrieve anything from baggage area while flying is difficult and loading bags and boxes is a chore. I would not install the headrests again. :(

From a safety stand point...

headrests are only helpful during a rear end collision. Not very likely in our kind of RVs.

I wear a hat (I use a Halo headset) and the headrest would really interfere. I have never missed not having one. And if you do get rear ended, be sure to get the license number.

Bob Kelly

Last edited:
Back