What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reklaw Flyin - Smoking Hot Fun!

Couple years ago I was standing by the barn when some poor soul flipped a new 7-A. A little runway information might have prevented that accident. Great fly-in, so don't miss it, but do take a look at this photo first.

You're looking north up Runway 2. The key feature to note is the big dip about 2/3 of the way up the runway.

When landing on 2, get slow, aim for the near threshold and get stopped before you run off the hump and down into the dip. Landing long, then standing on the brakes as you run downhill into the dip is a very good way to flip a nosewheel RV. The grass is not smooth. The area I marked as the aim point is slightly uphill, so landing there will help you get slowed down early. Land long and you won't find the dip until it is too late.

Departures this year are from a point near the barn as marked. Departures from the previously mentioned uphill threshold don't let you see people crossing the runway, so the departure point has been moved forward.

When landing on 20, you have short flat threshold area, then a downhill run into the dip, then an uphill to the hump before you get to the flat area. On short final it looks like a rollercoaster ride. I chose to ignore the threshold, fly down into the bottom of the dip, and touch down very nose-high into the face of the uphill. You could use the flat threshold, but you need to be practiced at carrying the nose wheel in the air until you get to the uphill section at a minimum.

I was using a friend's 8A that trip and loaded it at the rear CG limit on purpose just to make the nosewheel light for taxi. There is plenty of rough turf in the taxi areas and campground, so go slow.

None of this is a big deal with a tailwheel, and certainly not a concern for the Cubs and antiques with big wheels.

I was there for a couple of hours Saturday! Very nice. Lots of nice airplanes to look at and the food was good. Weather was perfect! I'll try to camp there next year but it just did not work out this year.

Back