What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT comparison to Van's RV-10 with Hartzell

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
OK, just an update for some of you who are interested. I and my wife are having an absolute blast on a cross Country tour, and of course we came to Mecca (Van's) yesterday. We had the opportunity to fly side by side with the factory RV-10, with the Master himself flying my airplane. At 8500' it appears that the factory airplane is about 1-2 knots faster. However, let's not forget that Supposedly my engine has a lot more horsepower. It appeared that I was carrying about .3" more manifold pressure, and burning about .3-.5 gph hour more just comparing instrument readings. For the real purists, this is not a real valid comparison, but I certainly wanted to know that I was NOT 6-8 knots slower, as we have been thinking. We still need to actually put the same props on an airframe, and do the comparison, which MT is doing. Right now I have absolutely no regrets on my propeller decision. It is absolutely the smoothest engine/prop combination short of a turbine. And on this trip, the performance at 16000' (17,500' DA) was phenominal.
Today we flew to breakfast with some of the RV crowd, including Van and Harmon (THE supplier of our landing gear). It was a real treat. Then we went on to see the Spruce Goose and Pacific City, and flew around and over Mt. St. Helens at 9500'. What a treat. Tomorrow it's up to the islands north of Seattle.
We keep meeting so many neat people on this trip who have built RV's or are building. The 10 draws a crowd. I know some of you are probably tired of hearing me say this, but VANS really has deveolped a winner here. I think that once some more get flying and the work gets out, it could potentially have the same impact as the Cirrus airplanes.
Vic

I assume three bladed?

vic syracuse said:
We had the opportunity to fly side by side with the factory RV-10, with the Master himself flying my airplane. At 8500' it appears that the factory airplane is about 1-2 knots faster. However, let's not forget that Supposedly my engine has a lot more horsepower. It appeared that I was carrying about .3" more manifold pressure, and burning about .3-.5 gph hour more just comparing instrument readings. For the real purists, this is not a real valid comparison, but I certainly wanted to know that I was NOT 6-8 knots slower, as we have been thinking. [snip] It is absolutely the smoothest engine/prop combination short of a turbine. I think that once some more get flying and the work (word) gets out, it could potentially have same impact as the Cirrus airplanes.Vic
Congrats Vic but 2 knots slower and burning about 1/2 gal more an hour? What do you think the speed difference would be if you throttled back to match FF, I figure 0.50 gal/hr is worth about 3.5 kts, so maybe 5-6 kts slower? Two bladed props for engines below say 350-500 hp will be more efficent unless there is other design factors like prop tip clearnace. Three blades will be more quite, but the MT gets the smoothness more from the fact the blades are made of wood than the number of blades.

As far as turbine smooth, I know that is what the guy who is a MT dealer says, but he has never flown a turbine aircraft, I have. I am sure compaired to a metal prop the MT is smoother but Turbine? I think that is may be a little overstated. A Lycoming (I)O-540 is going to shake regardless of the prop.

As far as Cirrus, why do we care what the affect is on their sales? George

Last edited:
Mt comparison

George, your reply is mainly the reason I stopped contributing to these lists. If you know anyone who knows me, you will find out that I don't exaggerate. When I say turbine smooth, I mean it. The IO-540 I have has been balanced and matched flowed, and it is smooth. Even Van himself was impressed. Yes, I might be burning more fuel, but WE DON'T really know that yet. If you paid attention to my post you will read that we were not flying the props on the same airplane. The gauges were not calibrated (actually, mine are, and I KNOW what they are doing). We were both running full throttle with the same airbox and filter, so CHANCES ARE that we had the same MP, but who knows. I'm sorry. I'm tired, and I get SO TIRED of people like yourself blasting things that are posted to HELP others in their decision making. I have no second agendas. Mine is finished, and I am extremely happy with my decisions. And I've got a lot of experience over a lot of years to help others. Period. 5000 hours of GA experience and 6 homebuilts. I only post to help others.

I do live on a grass strip, so the blade clearance is a factor, but the smoothness far outweighs any other factor.

Vic

Great Info

Vic,

I know many -10 builders are following your results very close, including me. Please keep up the great work and keep the information flowing. Not only is it motivating, it also assists with future decisions.

Thanks,
Tom

Geeee Vic, never again

vic syracuse said:
George, your reply is mainly the reason I stopped contributing to these lists.

If you know anyone who knows me, you will find out that I don't exaggerate. When I say turbine smooth, I mean it. The IO-540 I have has been balanced and matched flowed, and it is smooth.

I'm sorry. I'm tired, and I get SO TIRED of people like yourself blasting things that are posted to HELP others in their decision making. I have no second agendas.

I do live on a grass strip, so the blade clearance is a factor, but the smoothness far outweighs any other factor. Vic
Vic I don't have an agenda either and trying to help others in decision making.

Vic, the title of MT comparison to Van's RV-10 with Hartzell . Cost, performance and maintenance is part of the equation. Not every one sees the same smoothness with their MT prop, and 6kts lower speed is not uncommon with the MT vs. Hartzell. That is all, I was contributing my research and experience.

Clearly you took it poorly. To avoid your admonishing, I will note your name and never reply to your threads or post ever again. I don?t want to be one of the ?u-people? that ruins your day. As far as "your reply is mainly the reason I stopped contributing to these lists.? I don't have any idea what that means. Apparently you have an attitude and sensitivity towards "these list" that pre-dates, that has nothing to do with me, so don't take your hurt feelings out on me. Do you always get this upset? Do always get mad if someone disagrees with you? To be honest, your reply makes me feel like not participating.

I post to help others also, Vic. You don't know me. I receive dozens of e-mails from people thanking me for my help. I have had my hand in several RV's and working on my third RV, have 10,000 hours, almost 10% of that in RV's.

I am sorry you think I was disparaging your honor by picking on the word turbine smooth. My point was no piston engine is turbine smooth and in fact turbines have their own vibration characteristics (especially sonic) and are not vibration free, especially turbo props. Sorry again it is just the engineer coming out in me.

Turbine smooth is too subjective. However with all your experience, by you just saying it is the smoothest plane you have ever flown, is quite an endorsement. Nothing I said takes away from that and your comments. I am sure your plane is the very smooth as Van noted and people love hearing your from you.

It would be useful to flight test the Props with accelerometers under the cowl and cockpit and compare between your RV-10 (or any RV-10 with a MT prop) and Van's demo -10. We could quantify what smooth means (inch/second*second). A noise level meter would be of interest in the cockpit. I know people who put a MT on, expecting turbine smooth and where disappointed and especially with the loss of speed. You mentioned your engine is flow and mass balanced. Combined with the MT, I am sure it is very smooth. Don't you think 6-Jugs and special "Blue-printed" engine build-up has something to do with it? (no offense just a question)

The test Van and RV-8.com Randy did, both noted the MT smoothness factor was there but not that dramatic. Even a well-balanced Hartzell was smooth. Vic this is in no way to doubt your claim of smoothness, but just another data point.

In Van's and Randy's test, they put to rest all of the prop makers claims of being fastest or faster than brand X. The 3-blade MT and WW where the slowest when tested on the same RV-8. The fastest by the way was a Sensenich (the only fixed pitch prop in the testing). The fastest c/s prop was a Hartzell Blended airfoil. As far as your suggestion of putting different props on the same airframe, that is a great idea. Did you say MT was doing that? I have never seen any data from MT and the few times I talked to them it was in broken English with a heavy accent. I want to see their test of their props on modified Lycoming with High Comp pistons and Electronic ignition. Someone says they did it but nothing in writting.

You mentioned the side-by-side flight with the demo RV-10 was not scientific, OK, fair enough. I was just trying to take the data you stated and convert your FF into equiv. speed (0.5 gal/hr is about 3.5kts). I could be wrong, but from your rough numbers you are close to 4.5 to 5.5 kts slower. If I am wrong sorry, but this is very consistent with the speed difference from the RV-8 test Van did. Sorry, Vic, but you make it sound like the speed difference was close, well it was, 1-2 kts, but you where burning more fuel and making more HP. In other words if you had a Hartzell on your plane at that same power setting, you may have been going 4 kts faster. That takes nothing away from the lower vibration aspect. I try to deal in facts Vic.

One thing you did NOT mention as an advantage of the MT is lower noise because the tip speeds are slower. Lower noise can make you feel better and contribute to the pilot?s sensation of smoothness. Many pilots perceive some of the lower noise as lower vibration (which it is, lower vibration of their skull and ear drums).

As far as Cirrus I agree the RV-10 will be a big hit and will take some of the market away. If I were going to build a 4 place, it would be a RV-10. My comment about "who cares", if the RV-10 takes sales away from Cirrus, is because most RV'ers would not fly a composite airplane anyway, that's all Vic. I agree with you, the RV-10 sounds like a winner. I have not flown one yet, but it's a RV, what else can you say.

I feel bad for you because you are so tired, so very tired. I hope you feel better Vic. Now I am just tired. If you don't like my opinion or comments, OK. I know what I said was well thought out, valid and never in contempt of you, as you seem to have towards me from your scorn. To make it more than that or take it personal is a waste of time. It is just a prop on a plane not world peace.

Once again, as I said the first time Vic, congratulations on your RV-10. All the best.

Sincerely George

Last edited:
MT 3 blade

I am flying behind an IO540 with an MT 3 blade. Started bwith a 2 blade Hartzell but the propwash was beating my Rocket to death in the air, especially the climb.

It is Turbine smooth and no more propwash.

Performance cost was approx 5 Knot decrease, 300' increase in takeoff distance and 200-300fpm decrease in climb. At and above 12,000 feet the decrease in speed is not noticable or quantifiable.

Mt

tnorman said:
Vic,

I know many -10 builders are following your results very close, including me. Please keep up the great work and keep the information flowing. Not only is it motivating, it also assists with future decisions.

Thanks,
Tom
Vic,
Add me to the list! Please keep your observations coming.
Mark

gmcjetpilot said:
In Van's and Randy's test, they put to rest all of the prop makers claims of being fastest or faster than brand X. The 3-blade MT and WW where the slowest when tested on the same RV-8. The fastest by the way was a Sensenich (the only fixed pitch prop in the testing). The fastest c/s prop was a Hartzell Blended airfoil.

On the page:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Prop.htm

Randy found that the WW 200RV was the fastest top speed, cruise speed, climb rate and 2nd lightest.

His summary on the 200RV:

"This prop excels in every respect: it's lighter, quieter, and faster. I think it will end up being quite popular with RV builders for those willing to pay a premium over the Hartzell in exchange for lighter weight, better performance, and no vibration related restrictions."

Did he do a different test with the blended foil Hartzell and a FP Sensenich?

Chuck

I love facts

chuck said:
On the page:

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Prop.htm

Randy found that the WW 200RV was the fastest top speed, cruise speed, climb rate and 2nd lightest.

Chuck
Chuck you only have half the story and not completely correct. Van tested the Hartzell blended , Randy did not. The older Hartzell (HC-C2YK/7666-4) was what Randy tested.

Here is another reference for MT props, aerocomposite:

http://www.lazy8.net/proptest.htm

He is not the only person to buy a MT and sell it. I am sorry I know some don?t like the facts, but three blades are slower.

The WW 200RV is a great prop, even if it is 2 mph slower, but the original prop maker (for airboats) sold the aviation product line off to another company. They don't have repair manuals for shops to work on their props; therefore you need send it to the manufacture for repair. Also the overhaul period is very short. It is an experimental prop. I'll just get to the point, Hartzell has top performance, min price and easy repair and maintenance with wide spread service centers. :confused: What is the confusion. Yes , Hartzell weighs more (don't put that overly heavy fancy panel, paint, interior etc...).

George

PS Vans Prop results (Ref. 1) from Randy's data and their data combined:

Hartzell C2YR-1BF/F7496.........208.9 (metal)
Whirlwind 200RV....................206.9
Whirlwind 200c.....................205.6
Hartzell C2YK-1BF/F7666A-4..205.4 (metal)
Aeocomposites...................204.6
Whirlwind Series 150...........201.9 (3 blade)
MT MRV12B/183-59............200.7 (3 blade)

Fastest prop METAL two Bladed F7496 Hartzell
Slowest 3 Bladed MT composite/wood (by 8.2 MPH slower)
Least expensive prop Hartzell C2YK & C2YR
Most expensive Aerocomposite (I think?)

**Ref 1- 1st issue 2004 page 5, Richard Van Grunsven (two RV's where used and the base speed difference was abut 14 MPH. RV-8's where Van's proto and Randy RV-8.com)

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Hartzell C2YR-1BF/F7496.........208.9 (metal)
Whirlwind 200RV....................206.9
Whirlwind 200c.....................205.6
Hartzell C2YK-1BF/F7666A-4..205.4 (metal)
Aeocomposites...................204.6
Whirlwind Series 150...........201.9 (3 blade)
MT MRV12B/183-59............200.7 (3 blade)

I'm certainly not an advocate or detractor for any prop, just trying to figure things out. Until your post I thought the 200RV was the 'best' based on reading Randy's site. My best of course is not only based on top speed but weight too. The repair issue you mention is very real though. I hate unscheduled downtime, never seems to happen in December when it's raining.

Don't have RVator handy. How did they normalize the data between the two aircraft data sets? That is an awful lot of precision being reported especially if the datasets are from different planes (i.e. drag platforms) Do they believe they can measure speed to one part in 2000? Must have been a 'turbine smooth' testing day :)

As always thanks for the reference, new data points are good especially if they are cheaper and certified.

Chuck

Facts are Facts.....When they Apply

Just so folks reading this don't get too confused, there is a big difference regarding the effect of the MT propeller on smoothness and speed when you are talking 540's versus 360/320's. There is a unpleasant thump and vibration on the 540's with a two bladed Hartzell right at 2200 RPM. The MT eliminates this and is much smoother on the 540. All this data regarding the prop test on the other RV series running 4-bangers is practically irrelevant since this thread was originally about the RV-10.

On the 540's. the two bladed Hartzell is the fastest and most uncomfortable. The three bladed Hartzell is next, but with a weight penalty. The three bladed MT is the smoothest, costs about $1200 more than the three bladed Hartzell, but is lighter. The overall speed difference is less than 4 knots on the Rocket airframe from the two-bladed to the MT. I can't speak to the RV-10.

People aren't buying the MT just because they think they are sexy, as some people here seem to believe. :cool: I was willing to pay to get the weight savings and to have my flights smoother and more comfortable. I also don't like the reputation of Hartzell, whose props have a history of blowing seals and leaking grease...repeatedly (at least with my flying companions.....YMMV).

Besides, I was glad I wasn't swinging a metal prop when I took out that taxi light at AirVenture with my MT prop. I would have faced a $4,500 engine teardown beside the cost of prop repair.

Fact Adjustment

gmcjetpilot said:
The WW 200RV is a great prop, even if it is 2 mph slower, but the original prop maker (for airboats) sold the aviation product line off to another company. They don't have repair manuals for shops to work on their props; therefore you need send it to the manufacture for repair. Also the overhaul period is very short.

Sorry for straying from the original purpose of this thread but I need to comment on the validity of the above statement. Actually, other prop shops are capable and willing to work on WW propellers. I had Sensenich Propeller perform a service modification on my 200C which they were more than happy to perform. I've also had dealings with the new company and received exceptionally attentive service. Also, the recommended overhaul period according to the manufacturer for the 200RV is 500 hour or 5 years, whichever comes first.

And if anyone cares, I bought my 200C before the 200RV came out primarily for the weight savings. It is on my -8 running an IO-360A3B6D with dual Lightspeed igninition. The prop/engine combination is very smooth. I can't tell you it's as smooth as a turbine because I don't know but it is just as smooth as the Warnke wood prop on my old O-320 RV-6. I think that says a lot for a two bladed, fat, constant speed, composite prop. If I had to make the decision again I would go with the 200RV since it is lighter and has slightly better performance. But I'm quite happy with my 200C and have absolutely no regrets.

Rick McBride

I agree

chuck said:
I'm certainly not an advocate or detractor for any prop, just trying to figure things out. Do they believe they can measure speed to one part in 2000? Must have been a 'turbine smooth' testing day :)

As always thanks for the reference, new data points are good especially if they are cheaper and certified. Chuck
I could not be more in agreement. I understand that flight-testing and normalizing data between two aircraft is hard, but if any one can do a job of it is Van. If you ever met the man he is the most conservative and "Just the facts, just the facts Sir" kind of guy you could ever meet. (Wonder why Van is a success and all his kits fly as well or better than he advertises).

I also want to get the real data, but in light of nothing else, this is the best we have. For the record Randy's RV and Van's RV when testing the same props where with in 1/2 MPH of the spread or handicap. I think his ratio factor is conservative and with in 0.5 to 1 MPH. Also Van and Randy used the same methods and are very "precise" individuals. You can throw stones at anyones data, but Van has wrote on the subject for 2 decades that I have read I feel he and Ken at Van's Aircraft are doing a great job. (PS Write EAA or Cafe Foundation and tell them you want them to test like this on props. EAA stopped their support of Cafe Foundation and stopped printing articles in EAA's Sport Aviation.)

In the end the WW 200RV is on great prop, but as you say there are other factors. The Hartzell Blended is great from some differnt reasons. Yes I can to the conclusion that the Hartzell is the "Best Buy" for me.

You state weight as critical. I have a RV-7 with an O-360A1A (180 hp) and weight is an advantage.(RV-7?s need weight on the nose to load the aft baggage compartment to Max 100lb limit.) Also I bought an overhauled C2YK for $2,500 from some used parts. So performance, cost and available service and parts are a factor. I ride on two RB211 Turbofans at work, so I like the throb of my metal fan beating the air into submission. :D (I NEVER SAID ANY BRAND IS BAD, JUST TRYING TO GET THE FACTS.)

George

Last edited:
Grand Tour Completed

Ok, this is just a follow up to the thread I started the other night regarding the MT prop and the overall performance of our RV-10. We just got back last night after a 7 hour trip (1 fuel stop) from Eagle, Colorado to Mallards Landing in Georgia (just South of Atlanta, GA04). I will try to figure out how to post the picture of the Chelton PFD showing us at 17,000 feet just west of Denver, with an indicated airspeed of 140 mph, TAS of 161 knots. Center just kept assigning us higher altitudes for traffic, and asked if we could accept FL 240! I think we could have, except we only had canulas for oxygen, so we declined. As I mentioned the overall trip was a blast. I had reset the trip meter on the Garmin 430 before we left, and here are the stats when we landed: 45.2 hours of flying, 13 States in 13 days, over 2 gig of pictures, 6530 nm with an average ground speed of 159.6 knots. Seeing as the average ground speed includes all climbs, descents, etc., I was really surprised. Neat, huh?!!
Keep building, and if any of you get to Atlanta and need an incentive ride, just let me know.
Vic

Stats

Vic:
In your stats you left out one ingrediant. Fuel. :) What was your average fuel burn/hr. & how many gals. total?

Marshall Alexander
RV10
Wings/tanks (still)

Marshall, I flight planned 15 gph, and actual ended up being about 13 gph. The Garmin showed 6530 nm and 169.6 knts average groundspeed. I flew the trip at altitudes between 9k and 17k feet, with some local flights at 3k and below. All is included.

Vic

Back