What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation

spuds

Hey military flight leads. Unless you were in the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, count how many times you flew in close formation in more than a 4 ship.

Food for thought?

SPUDS

Hey military flight leads. Unless you were in the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, count how many times you flew in close formation in more than a 4 ship.

Food for thought?

SPUDS

And your point is? True, the norm was a 4-ship, but we always looked forward to the mass attack scenarios or the occasional large flyover for special events. Same for the RV formations around the country. We normally practice in 4-ships to keep all the skills current, but practice large formations at various clinics and airshows keeping practiced for the large formations at Oshkosh, Sun n' Fun, and LOE.

So...what am I missing?

Food for thought?

SPUDS

I wonder what the point of this statement is.

Rarely, if ever

My guess is that in 20 years, maybe two or three times, and that only for show. Often did it on the wing of a tanker in weather, but it wasn't much fun. Lots of massive formations in tactical formation, but when you put more than two close wingmen on a side, the formation becomes unwieldy and has little practical value.

-John

Food for thought?

SPUDS

Food for thought?

SPUDS

I've heard of five-wing formations, but I don't know the practicality of this nor if it is even used. Just that it is flashy.

Formations

[FONT=&quot]This is a 11 ship missing man, this past Sunday, casual for us yet very poignant for many family members and friends of those "gone west'. We do these more often than I care to think about. We regularly have formations in excess of 12 and occasionally as many as 20. We fly all the local fly-ins. However we practice constantly. We commonly field 6 - 9 participants 2 - 3 time a week during the summer and a few less as the fly-in season tapers off.
[img=http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7981/missingmanfv7.th.png]

[/FONT]

Back