What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tips.

AndrewTR30

Looking for some pointers on my wing tips.
Has anyone tried the hinged attatch method decribed in the RVator? I haven't decided if I'm going to try that or use the method shown in the plans. I have trimmed the flanges down to 1/2" all the way around to fit under the wing skins. This is per the plans. The hinge method has you remove that flange alltogether. I want to look at some planes at Copperstate before I make up my mind. If I do use the screw attach method, I'm leaning towards using -4 screws instead of -6 screws. (The hardware kit that Cleveland sells)
I havent trimmed the section adjacent to the aileron down to 3/16". How do you trim it evenly? I've heard something about using cargo tie down straps to fit the wing tips to the wing????? Does anyone have info on this?
As far as alignment, one of my trailing edges is off by 1/2". The other is short by 3/8".
How have others corrected this problem?
Thanks in advance.

I used the Cleveland screw attach kit. It seemed simpler than the hinges. I had to slit the TE of one tip to pull it into allignment. Then I clekoed it & re-glassed the inside with tape. You might consider a slit with a piece of aluminum for a form for the short tip to glass over. Good Luck.

Derrell
7A Finish

Back