What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM1000 and Lightspeed tach output

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
Greetings,

A friend is installing Lightspeed II's in his plane, which is equipped with a VM1000 monitor.

Does anyone here know if there is anything special that needs to be done, or can the Lightspeed tach output be directly connected to the input on the VM1000?

Thanks -

Alex, try searching the subject. I think this just came up a few months ago. Something like the signal is 5v and it needs to be 12v.
You can add a gizmo to bump up the power. I'm pretty sure Klaus has the gizmos, or at least knows what it is.

Sorry I'm not too detailed about it, but I'm celibrating the Huskers 1st win!

Go Big Red!

Pathetically, Geico lives vicariously though his beloved Huskers. ;)

Last edited:
lightspeed ign

This is from the website

All Plasma CD Ignitions have a pulse output (on the input connector) for an electronic tachometer. The pulse characteristics are shown in the manual and most tachometers will respond to that signal. If you have two Plasma systems and you want to have a tach reading from either Plasma CDI, you need to run the signals through a selector switch.

If you are using Plasma III versions "A" (available after 12/05), you can connect the tach pulses from two systems together to one tach terminal.

Plasma III and Plasma II Plus CD ignitions also have a built in tach which provides a voltage output for a millivolt meter on the output connector. See the wiring diagrams for details.

VM1000 how to program

Does anyone have specific knowledge of how to change the settings on a VM 1000 so it will handle the pulse info provided by Lightspeed Plasma III using the crank sensor system? I already know about the microvolt info already available on the Lightspeed systems as an alternative to the pulse info. What is the simplest way of getting the tach info into the VM1000. Please only reply if you know how to get it done or wish to refer us to someone who does. I have searched the VM1000 threads. No joy. This is an RV7 with dual Lightspeeds replacing a failed Lasar. Thank you!

Back